Deportation - Apparently A Debate Thread?? :?

Njugle

saving folks life as you want tae put it (it's no lik it's an everday occurance) is part o his job, so dat disnae mean he's made a positive contribution tae da community, onymair dan onywan else has.

I would hazard a guess that his contribution via his work is a much more positive contribution than some will ever give to their community.

Just because it is a job of work, does not mean it can't be valuable for the community. Are the efforts of teachers, doctors, nurses etc demeaned because they need to have money to live?

Peeriesooky - it seems you are just looking to pick fault here. It's meaningless and pointless - unlike the difference Sakchai has made to people.

A case in point - my mother went to an OAPs swimming group - and she always said that Sakchai was so pleasant, he would chat and joke with the group, above and beyong what some of the others did - not that the others were bad, but Sakchai was better - and they always came away delighted when he was on. It DOES make a difference and it DOES go beyond what he was paid to do.

I await with indifference the negative comment.

• Replies 586
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

saving folks life as you want tae put it (it's no lik it's an everday occurance) is part o his job, so dat disnae mean he's made a positive contribution tae da community, onymair dan onywan else has.

I would hazard a guess that his contribution via his work is a much more positive contribution than some will ever give to their community.

Just because it is a job of work, does not mean it can't be valuable for the community. Are the efforts of teachers, doctors, nurses etc demeaned because they need to have money to live?

Peeriesooky - it seems you are just looking to pick fault here. It's meaningless and pointless - unlike the difference Sakchai has made to people.

A case in point - my mother went to an OAPs swimming group - and she always said that Sakchai was so pleasant, he would chat and joke with the group, above and beyong what some of the others did - not that the others were bad, but Sakchai was better - and they always came away delighted when he was on. It DOES make a difference and it DOES go beyond what he was paid to do.

I await with indifference the negative comment.

i am not being negative, or trying tae pick fault, i am simply curious as to whit his contribution is. i accept dat a lifeguard is a valuable service, but da fact remains dat if he wisna daing it, sumboady else wid be. as fir chatting wi folk, fine he's a nice friendly guy, but dat disnae equate to invaluable which folk are making him oot tae be

I would love to know why Peeriesookie and Sam are so insanely jealous of Sakchai. Any comments

i would love tae ken why du is so insanely frightened o folk asking for answers, rather as jist blindly following summat? any comments?

I simply asked for an answer. Are you insanely frightened?

1 you dont come from here?

2 you have been a bad boy/girl?

3 lets think about it??

4 ta ta or you can saty if you are a good boy/girl from now

1) I do, 15 years on da rock of truth.

2) yup. Both.

3) I try.

4) I'd like to saty.

Anyway, enough of questioning the importance of lifeguards...get a grip folks! Christ on a bike.

Bring on the debates about whether or not our government should have the right to deport non-threatening people years after the offence. I could not give a monkeys about 'whit contribution does he actually make' - how bloody trivial and parochial!!!

Aaarrggghhhhh! :evil:

What the hell is this?

No one has said Satch is "invaluable." As has been mentioned repeatedly the argument against Satch's deportation rests on the facts not personality (though most agree he is a decent lad - despite past mistakes). So why bang on about his "contribution"?

This is not a "debate" - it is a small group of people picking on an irrelevent issue and using it (or trying) to discredit a wider - and overwhelmingly - positve cause.

Typical line of argument - public support for Hazel Minn and Tanya Koolamatri (sp?) was less vocal than for Satch, therefore Satch does not deserve the support he is currently receiving. I shouldn't have to comment on logic like that.

dis thread is labeled "debate" thread. part o da debate has been his "positive contribution tae da community". as part o dis debate, i am simply curious as to whit dis is.

why does asking a question as part of a debate automatically mean it is an attempt tae discredit a campaign? get a grip.

why is this question sae difficult tae answer properly?

sometimes a question can jist be a question.

and muddybay-kyebeoy, you have completely missed da point o sam's post. di details are irrelevant in dat context.

and as part of dat debate, i am curious as to whit positive contribution he maks tae dis community.

In my book you dont have to be Mother Theresa to make a positive contribution. The fact that he works, pays taxes, coaches kids, competes in sporting events are all positive contributions.

There are plenty of young people who are quite content to spend their lives living off the dole, taking whatever they can from society and putting nothing back. Like him or loathe him, you cant put Sakchai in that category.

What is all this nonsense about the value of any particular job? It seems incredibly arrogant to me to suggest that one job is less worthy than any other.

I hope we are not approaching a scenario where only people of exceptional qualities (whatever they might be) are worthy of the support of their community! As can easily be seen from the support this campaign has attracted, sakchai is a popular member of this community and as such deserves the support he is receiving from it.

I would't expect the entire population to agree with this and respect everybodys views whatever they are. Thank goodness someone has finally said what they are thinking instead of the constant nit-picking that seems to have been going on.

Again...

The facts surrounding the Satch case are the main argument in his favour.

But if some insist that his "contribution" to the community is spelled out, laid bare and quantified then here goes.

Since his imprisonment, Satch - by all accounts - has steered clear of trouble and led his life on the straight and narrow. He has a full time job for the local authority and is well liked/respected. In addition (from what I understand), he volunteers his time and abilities in service of local sport.

One does not need to lead a Mother Theresa-like existence to "contribute" to society. Personally speaking, I have a job and stick to the laws and conventions of the UK. Though I do not put in 20 hours a week for Oxfam I still feel I make a contribution to society. I certainly dont take anything away from it - and the same goes for Satch.