60 members have voted

1. 1. Independent Scotland vote

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My personal view is that Scotland could do well as an independent country but I would want a lot more information on plans for independence before I would be prepared to vote yes in a binding referendum. Information about what would happen to the Royal Mail, the NHS, taxes, pensions and benefits, the right for English, Irish (both sorts) and Welsh people to leave if they wanted to and indeed the right for Scots to move back to Scotland.

Want to know about through trains to England (and one day to Europe), how quickly Scottish passports will be issued and will the world recognise them and will I have to pay customs duty bringing back booze from England. And lots more including what happens to oil revenues.

Meanwhile any talk of a binding referendum is plain stupid. All we can have is a referendum on the principle of independence in which case we should have a range of options from abolishing the Scottish Parliament through some form of devolution to full independence. And yes I guess the "Shetland" question.

I was born in Shetland and like everybody else born in the United Kingdom I have a UK passport. I do not want to give up my UK passport because the country I was born in is called the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Scotland is not a country and hasn’t been one since 1707.

I don’t wish to be part of a region of Britain (i.e. Scotland) that wishes to break away from the UK and I certainly don’t want to see Salmond’s swastika (the saltire) flying over Lerwick Town Hall.

My personal view is that Scotland could do well as an independent country but I would want a lot more information on plans for independence before I would be prepared to vote yes in a binding referendum. Information about what would happen to the Royal Mail, the NHS, taxes, pensions and benefits, the right for English, Irish (both sorts) and Welsh people to leave if they wanted to and indeed the right for Scots to move back to Scotland.

Want to know about through trains to England (and one day to Europe), how quickly Scottish passports will be issued and will the world recognise them and will I have to pay customs duty bringing back booze from England. And lots more including what happens to oil revenues.

Meanwhile any talk of a binding referendum is plain stupid. All we can have is a referendum on the principle of independence in which case we should have a range of options from abolishing the Scottish Parliament through some form of devolution to full independence. And yes I guess the "Shetland" question.

:lik:

Have voted "no" as I presume to vote "yes" would count as a vote for an independent Scotland which includes Shetland. As a Shetlander who feels their only connection with Scotland is by default and under duress, I haven't a clue nor care how good or bad independence could be for Scotland, I only know I don't believe Shetland would fare very well included in an independent Scotland, regardless of how well (or not) Scotland did out of it.

I think both England and Scotland would see benefits with a indipendent Scotland.

The econnomy of the two countrys are to diffrent focus thath is hard to manadg as one country.

The quastion about the oil and rbs and hbos bailouts dont mather.

Like to point out when Norway won there referendum on indipendence in 1905, they became indipendent as one of the poorest countrys in western europe, While sweeden was relatively rich back then.

And allso scotland do absord allot of fixed cost related to a big power houce thath the uk are, with a indipendent scotland the fixed cost for scotland will be lower becouse scotland will not be a big international player.

As an Englishman living here, my take on it is that Salmond is seemingly intent on taking Scotland into the wilderness and is largely relying upon the oil revenues. However, he is presuming that Shetland will want to remain as part of an independent Scotland whereas a voting majority here might choose to either remain part of the union, align itself with Norway or Denmark or even consider its own independence.

What does seem very unfair, though, is that England doesn't have a choice to have a similar vote as it doesn't have its own parliament/assembly. I can't foresee Wales or even Northern Ireland seeking independence in the near future, though.

Until the Scottish goverment get round to providing sufficient information in a manner which the public can understand and therefore make an informed choice, it is difficult to understand how anyone can vote one way or another.

Until then, I for one, would not vote for complete independance, as I feel it would be like driving at full speed into a dark tunel with no lights on.

I don't feel Salmond has done anything outstanding for Shetland so far, and when you consider that he will be after Shetland's oil, you would think he would be offering a few sweetners :wink: !!

Considering they can't manage to sort out replacement lifeline ferries, I worry about thier ability to govern independantly :roll: