Forced sterilisation of transgenders in Sweden.

Guest posiedon

Guest posiedon

Difficult to believe this happens in Sweden, in 2012, but apparently it does. Add your voice:

Dear friend,

If you are a transgender person in Sweden and want to legally change your gender, the government forces you to undergo surgery that will render you permanently infertile and forever unable to have children. That's right: in 2012 Swedish law still mandates forced sterilization in order to do something as simple as changing your gender on a driver's license.

Right now a reform of the law is being debated in Sweden. We need a massive show of support across Sweden and Europe against forced sterilization that will finally convince Prime Minister Fredrik Reinfledt to speak out and break the deadlock.

Whether you are straight, gay, lesbian, bi or trans, Swedish or European, will you take a moment to raise your voice and ask Prime Minister Reinfeldt to take a stand for human rights?

Take action now : http://allout.org/stop_forced_sterilization

The poll is up to around 24,000 but they need 35,000, so please jump right in.

So basically they are insisting they become trans sexuals? Bit of a burger if somebody is just into cross-dressing but there again, how else can the Swedish Government adopt an alternative given that in the West there are two genders; namely male and female?

It is hardly forced sterilisation it is just saying to someone if you want to legally be called a man and you are in fact a woman (or vice versa) then you have to go through the process to change yourself physically before you can change legally.

yet another thing for some to get on their high horse about :roll:

It is hardly forced sterilisation it is just saying to someone if you want to legally be called a man and you are in fact a woman (or vice versa) then you have to go through the process to change yourself physically before you can change legally.

:lik:

That sums it up, I reckon.

Gender is not a binary male/female deal, no matter what you think. Many people are born with a mixture of physical, emotional and biochemical situations that are neither male or female, but somewhere in between. Gender, like many things, is a sliding scale. A spectrum. Most of us are lucky to be far enough down the spectrum one side or the other so that we don't have the burden of wondering where we fit. However, those who are in that situation should not be forced to choose in order to have a normal life.

From Wiki:

Those defined as women, by sex, have genitalia that is considered female as well as two X chromosomes; those viewed as men, by sex, are seen as having male genitalia, one X and one Y chromosome. However some individuals have combinations of chromosomes, hormones, and genitalia that do not follow the traditional definitions of "men" and "women". In addition, genitalia vary greatly or individuals may have more than one type of genitalia, and other bodily attributes related to a person's sex (body shape, facial hair, high or deep voice, etc.) may or may not coincide with the social category, as woman or man. A survey of the research literature from 1955–2000 suggests that as many as one in every hundred individuals may have some intersex characteristic.[9] Intersex phenomena are not unique to humans. In a number of species, even more striking examples exist, for instance the bilateral gynandromorphic zebra finch (half-male, half-female body along its symmetry plane)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender_identity

Many people with gender identity issues accept their intersex characteristics and do not want to surgically alter themselves, but still do not identify as the gender on their birth certificate. Why should someone *have* to choose surgery to be "legally male or female"? It's not your business or the business of any government.

The issues surrounding gender dysphoria / gender identity are in a similar place to where gay and lesbian rights were 50 years ago, and conciousness needs raising. Well done Posiedon for bringing it up.

:)

Scraplet, I did a module on gender when I attended Ruskin College, Oxford and gained a PG Dip in Women's Studies. There are only a handful of countries in the world that have more than two recognised genders. Under those systems, an individual can be, for example, she/he/he or say he/he/she - taking into account that some people are more masculine or feminine than others, and not just dependent upon human biology but how somebody may emotionally feel or dress - similar to some girls being referred to as 'tom boys' here in the UK.

As a woman, whilst I have no problems with any individual's sexuality, I do have issues with some individuals declaring themselves out and out females when, quite frankly, they are NOT. Don't get me wrong, I do sympathise with those with severe hormone/chromosome imbalances but if nature has ended up giving them sufficient for them to be born a bloke, then that is what they are. Yes, social construction plays a helluva role and I am quite partial to the she/he/he, etc., way of thinking but I can't see the Western world embracing it with open arms this century.

At the end of the day, the law has to take a stance somewhere - no one is forcing people to have sex change operations; they are trying to say that in order to be recognised as male or female they have to go through the surgery. This sounds fair enough to me because even without sex change operations on the equivalent of the NHS, you ain't telling me that they haven't got the funds together over the years to have such surgery IF their hormone/chromosomes are so out of sync, say "male trapped in female body" and vice versa.

I couldn't give a stuff if somebody is pre or post surgery, a cross-dresser, straight, bi-sexual, gay or whatever. One of my best friends in London before he died was pre-op but was undergoing hormone therapy. Some of my fondest memories and the biggest laughs we ever had were out shopping on Oxford Street for his clothes. He knew, however, that I would never call him 'she' and he accepted this.

They certainly should be sterilised!

If they are so mentally unstable and mixed up then we don't want their offspring polluting the general population.

They should do this with gay/lesbian people also.

And all gamblers should be castrated and forced to hand over their dosh to the state as they can't be trusted with it too then eh? :wink:

If they are so mentally unstable and mixed up then we don't want their offspring polluting the general population.

now be a brave chap and post your real name. you could do with having a look at the new law relating to your views. we have gay members on this forum your comments are offensive.

Oh, and while you are at it, all heterosexual couples (married, co-habiting, dating or just one night stands) should also be sterilised, to prevent the creation of such mentally unstable individuals in the first place! :roll: