UHA closures?

Kisses4Me

I don't really see how it can be likened to Christmas or New year in any way, both of those are on a diffrent scale of things entirely.

Very true, neither Christmas nor even New Year are (over)indulged in to the same level as UHA. The issues concerning bus driver availability were discussed at length last year in this thread:

Buses on hop Day

It seems to me that from both safety and general popularity points of view, of the various days in the year to choose, the UHA Wednesday is most sensible. Bear in mind that each council has the discretion to choose public holiday dates. If not UHA Wednesday, then when would you suggest as better for the general population?

The Lerwick Up Helly Aa is a world class event that happens on the last Tuesday in January. Due to so many people being involved in the event Lerwick and much of Shetland is closed on Wednesday. Is this so difficult for people to understand?. A limited bus service runs to get visitors to the airport on the Wednesday and some cafes are open for breakfast but mostly Shetland is shut so people have a day off. Just get used to it or move to the mainland!.

This is what I hate about up helly aa....The whole bloody island has to stop what it's doing just for the sake of a boat burning.

Most, far from all, of Lerwick is pretty quiet but for the rest of Shetland it is life as normal other than a Holiday for those entitled. Indeed most cafe's/shops etc are busier than normal for this reason.

It is just as quiet the day after any of the other Up Helly Aa's, or for that matter any other event involving lots of people in any area. Like so many things its not a big conspiracy, just common sense :)

funny da council couldna give its staff the day off for the royal wedding last year but gave there staff wednesday off?

What utter tosh. The SIC have a set number of public holidays, one of which (every year) is the day after Up Helly Aa. If they chose not to have a public holiday that day, they would have to have it another day instead. Whats the point in changing it? All they would acheive would be to raise the hackles of the many staff that do get involved every year.

The Royal Wedding is a) completely irrelevant to Shetland and B) a one off which would mean increasing the number of paid public holidays to the staff. If they wanted to, I'm sure they could have taken the day off work using their own holidays - not THAT many people would be so interested.

For the record, I do not live in Lerwick and I am not employed by the SIC. Nor do I attend the Lerwick Up Helly Aa. But Lerwick Up Helly Aa is a huge draw to Shetland, bringing people from all over the world. It's a high point for tourism at the time of year when other places within the UK struggle to attract tourists.

Christ almighty whit is wrong we people on here. Everybody knows the majority of businesses close the day after UHA so why not be a bit more bloody organised and get what you need on Tuesday.....its 1 day for God's sake! :roll:

Yeah buddy I know all that, what I needed couldn't be bought on a Tuesday, I needed to get to work and there were no buses running.

Christ almighty whit is wrong we people on here. Everybody knows the majority of businesses close the day after UHA so why not be a bit more bloody organised and get what you need on Tuesday.....its 1 day for God's sake! :roll:

Yeah buddy I know all that, what I needed couldn't be bought on a Tuesday, I needed to get to work and there were no buses running.

Yes this is a bit of a problem with UHA. Employers do need to realise that there are no buses on the Wednesday after UHA to get their wage slaves to work. Either they should lay on some form of company transport, pay for taxis or just shut down for the day.