Over 25 Shetland islands are inhabited?

daveh

Within a BBC website link (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-17523320), there is the following comment:

The archipelago is 70 miles long and consists of some 100 islands of which more than one fourth are inhabited.

I thought the archipelago (I like that word) was more than 70 miles long, if taking the length or Fair Isle and Unst into account, but surely there aren't over 25 of the islands inhabited as is suggested. I am not sure what consitutes as an island per the BBC. They can't include every rocky outcrop, for instance, otherwise it would run into hundreds, if not thousands.

An archipelago, sometimes called an island group, is a chain or cluster of islands.

I think that they got it entirely wrong at the Beeb. Surely the archipeligo runs up to Unst but unsure of the Fair Isle. If we take out the Fair Isle then the length is still wrong.

Wikipedia should include The Sovereign State of Forvik because His Excellency the Steward, Stuart Hill, resides there when he wishes to.

The BBC obviously have their own unique measurements. 70 miles long is roughly the length of the mainland, Skaw, Unst to Sumburgh Head is something close on 100 miles, which I presume gives rise to the sometimes heard line "100 miles, 100 isles". I can't be bothered to try and count them, but I'd be surprised if you could hit that 100 isles total without including just about anything that can sustain enough grass on a flat top to sit down on. ie. probably all or near all of the holms, but not stacks and skerrys.

Saying 25 isles are inhabited is stretching it too far though, even including those with occasional habitation, as opposed to permenant inhabitation, such as Mousa, Noss, Havera, Oxna etc, you'd be pushing it to hit the 25.

Sky News doesn't include Shetland on their weather map and I have given up trying to get them to do so.

The main BBC weather map often just has the very bottom tip of Shetland on it and it isn't our telly that is wrong as it is new. The map seems to show Northern France and Belgium OK, though, which I presume is to include the Channel Islands.

• 2 weeks later...
Sweet fa about Shetland? They don't know it exists. Yesterday they referred to Newcastle as "North U.K." They regularly disregard Scotland too.

There is no weather in the Republic of Ireland or "Irish Republic" as they call it either.

Just south of the borther from Northern Ireland and in Donegal there is no weather. Its never cloudy or rainy there, maybe they don't experience sunlight either.

^^

I guess that is because Eire is not in the UK whereas the Shetland Islands are (for now, anyway). It is a UK forecast hence there is no weather shown for Northern France or Denmark either.

They are still just about the only channel to do it. Usually if another channel would show a map big enough to cover other countries they'd fill in the clouds and other symbols for those as well.

I remember seeing parts of Europe shown on the RTE weather and even if they wouldn't do a section on those areas they'd still fill them in

Not that it matters a whole lot. Cork is just a degree or two colder than Derry or Belfast and if it isn't raining it's about to rain