Studded Tyres

klondyke

Does anyone know if there are any garages in Shetland that supply studded tyres or can fit studs to studdable winter tyres?

I saw a set on a new shape Subaru Forester last winter and a couple of years ago saw a couple of studded tyres for sale at a garage that no longer seem to be able to do this out da Nort Rod.

I know that chains and studs are not allowed on clear roads, but if cuts are applied to the excellent road clearing service we have been fortunate enough to have, there may not be quite as much clear roads as we have been used to!

Proper winter tyres perform like daylight and darkness over standard rubber in wintry conditions, but in snow and especially ice, studded winter tyres on each corner seems to offer the best level of performance.

completely impractical

Yes there may be some sections of road that would be suitable and for a short period, but then what? do you swap tyres over when you get to a clean patch or the snow melts?

however to answer your question, if you cant find anyone here then id order from south and have them fitted when they get delivered.

Studded tyres are generally a waste up here, we rarely get a spell of snow long and prolonged enough to make them worth while, far better off getting a new set of all weather tyres in my opinion.

Ps now that I've said that we will get the worst winter ever. :o

As far as I'm aware it's only the salting of roads prior to snow that is proposed to be cut back? With ploughing and salting of snow covered roads continuing much as before?

I don't think they'll be much of a cutback this year. The SIC's webpage is here

http://www.shetland.gov.uk/roadsmaintenance/winter.asp

Priorities for gritting and salting

http://www.shetland.gov.uk/roadsmaintenance/documents/WinterServicePolicy2008.pdf

^
The best advice is to only travel if you really need to
:rofl:

SP sometimes you really do appear to have NO CLUE

It really is fine for you in big city land tae give out advice to those of us who do not have access to your modern comforts.

One employer who you know really well gave me a warning for not coming in when the road was closed. If I were to refuse to come in because of a little ice/snow?

Just glad I'm not one of the parents weighing up whether or not to send my child to school on untreated roads this winter.