Serco Ferry

Frances144

So here's the scenario: let's get rid of experienced 'hotel' staff, including no doubt the hotel manager who basically runs, from my understanding, loads of stuff on the ship. The Pursar's role has changed somewhat on Northlink over the years so don't imagine they can take on all what the hotel manager currently does.

Hell, we'll bring in showers at a fiver a time for 5 minutes (Now who on earth can manage a shower in 5 mins, let alone during a rough crossing?). Add into the mix where are all those who currently kip in the cinema or in the bar going to sleep? Precisely who is going to move them all? Then you've got a new set up with say half the existing catering staff.

Don't go thinking that these temporary staff for when the ships get busy just have to attend a 10 minute course on evacuation similar to what us mere passengers get when we go on a holiday cruise, because I bet the crew get ongoing training to keep them up-to-date. You could have a fire in the kitchen, a fire in the engine room, power failure, man overboard, passenger taking sick ... the list goes on. But have no fear, Serco will have made up the numbers with temporary staff unfamiliar with the vessels.

Personally speaking, I'm just waiting for the day when the crew is made up with temporary staff and the captain turns round and tells Serco to shove it where the sun don't shine and refuses to sail.

I may have got this wrong, but my understanding is that the overall reduction in staffing level amounts to 2 per vessel per shift. This is not a large number in the grand scheme of things, and has already been achieved by voluntary redunacy offers.

I agree that the changes that may be coming on extra costs of a non cabin passage on the boats are at odds with lifeline service criteria. However, the answer to anyone either trying to 'sell' extra services or tell you not to sleep on the floor is to politely say 'no thanks, i'm fine where i am'

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So here's the scenario: let's get rid of experienced 'hotel' staff, including no doubt the hotel manager who basically runs, from my understanding, loads of stuff on the ship. The Pursar's role has changed somewhat on Northlink over the years so don't imagine they can take on all what the hotel manager currently does.

Hell, we'll bring in showers at a fiver a time for 5 minutes (Now who on earth can manage a shower in 5 mins, let alone during a rough crossing?). Add into the mix where are all those who currently kip in the cinema or in the bar going to sleep? Precisely who is going to move them all? Then you've got a new set up with say half the existing catering staff.

Don't go thinking that these temporary staff for when the ships get busy just have to attend a 10 minute course on evacuation similar to what us mere passengers get when we go on a holiday cruise, because I bet the crew get ongoing training to keep them up-to-date. You could have a fire in the kitchen, a fire in the engine room, power failure, man overboard, passenger taking sick ... the list goes on. But have no fear, Serco will have made up the numbers with temporary staff unfamiliar with the vessels.

Personally speaking, I'm just waiting for the day when the crew is made up with temporary staff and the captain turns round and tells Serco to shove it where the sun don't shine and refuses to sail.

I may have got this wrong, but my understanding is that the overall reduction in staffing level amounts to 2 per vessel per shift. This is not a large number in the grand scheme of things, and has already been achieved by voluntary redunacy offers.

I agree that the changes that may be coming on extra costs of a non cabin passage on the boats are at odds with lifeline service criteria. However, the answer to anyone either trying to 'sell' extra services or tell you not to sleep on the floor is to politely say 'no thanks, i'm fine where i am'

Correct. You have got this wrong. The vessels run with a crew and a back-to back crew. Therefore your understanding is 3 ships x 2 shifts x 2 crew = 12

crew reduction ? What happened to the other 24 ? In the great scheme of things this is no big deal,but 36 redundancys (whether compulsary or voluntary makes no difference) from ONE department is unsustainable. This amounts to one complete shift, including the back-to-back shift. The workload of these guys who no longer wish to be a part of this money making exercise called serco, is now spread over the remaining crew. This amounts to substantial changes of terms and conditions which have been negotiated over the past 20+ years.

Why should we accept these changes which serco are trying to bulldoze through without any negotiation or discussion with the people at the sharp end ? Stuart Garrett then trying to take the pi** out of the people of Orkney and Shetland by dressing this up as "an improved service". Aye, right. With higher charges all round and less crew to deliver said "improved service"

Correct. You have got this wrong. The vessels run with a crew and a back-to back crew. Therefore your understanding is 3 ships x 2 shifts x 2 crew = 12

crew reduction ? What happened to the other 24 ? In the great scheme of things this is no big deal,but 36 redundancys (whether compulsary or voluntary makes no difference) from ONE department is unsustainable. This amounts to one complete shift, including the back-to-back shift. The workload of these guys who no longer wish to be a part of this money making exercise called serco, is now spread over the remaining crew. This amounts to substantial changes of terms and conditions which have been negotiated over the past 20+ years.

Why should we accept these changes which serco are trying to bulldoze through without any negotiation or discussion with the people at the sharp end ? Stuart Garrett then trying to take the pi** out of the people of Orkney and Shetland by dressing this up as "an improved service". Aye, right. With higher charges all round and less crew to deliver said "improved service"

Chust so,chust so,Chook,!!!!!!!

Just to show that I can sometimes be even handed perhaps we should remember that the Northlink crews have to work in what many people would describe as a "terrible night" such as this coming Friday is forecast to be. Not just working on lovely summer nights.

Also we should remember that instead of heading for home they can get stuck on the boat if weather prevents it docking at the end of their work period. Yes I know that happens to people working offshore as well but I bet they get paid more.

Just to show that I can sometimes be even handed perhaps we should remember that the Northlink crews have to work in what many people would describe as a "terrible night" such as this coming Friday is forecast to be. Not just working on lovely summer nights.

Also we should remember that instead of heading for home they can get stuck on the boat if weather prevents it docking at the end of their work period. Yes I know that happens to people working offshore as well but I bet they get paid more.

Chust so,chust so,"Just me".They also have to endure continuous days of bad weather, where as the passenger gets of goes homes ,the crew still have to put in a days work and then battle through it again that night, and so on it goes.

PART OF STATEMENT ON NORTHLINKS WEB SITE

“We appreciate that the impact of any strike action over the busy festive season would be disappointing for our customers.  Our aim is to minimise disruption to the public and we fail to understand why the RMT is continuing with industrial action. We have been trying to contact the RMT and remain hopeful they will respond to our most recent request in a positive fashion.â€

He must be dialling the wrong number.

In an effort to clear up any speculation on Chookargyll's post I have contacted Tavish Scott with the details which the post highlighed (personally I suspect he/she is correct) , to give him his due he replied within a day of my writing to him with the assurance that he would ask Serco directly on whether the details within the post are correct . It will be interesting to see what Secos response will be .

RFR937 have you had any reply from Mr Scott?

Hello Ruidh , no I haven't had a reply yet , am assuming/hoping that this is because our MP hasn't been given a coherent reply from Secro though I may be wrong with that , if I do get a reply I will share the relevant information with you all .

Thanks for that.

A source told me last night that the RMT have twice asked for the dispute to be referred to ACAS, with no response from Serco. Seems serco aren't talking to anyone.

Part of statement made to Scottish parliament by Transport minister.

"For example, as I understand it, there's a commitment from Serco that the terms and conditions which apply to staff will not be revisited again"

So why doesn't Serco convey this message to the ships by email ,I'm sure this would make a huge difference to the people on board as thats their main concern,or has Mr Garret got a different game plan.