Best Bridge Camera?.

Kavi Ugl

Hello members, I was wondering if anybody works with a bridge camera?.

I would like to upgrade and what I have noticed as I've read various reviews is that some photographers have actually moved from a DSLR "down" to a bridge camera because it saves lugging all the lenses and equipment around but still gives great images.

Can anyone recommend a good bridge camera?. The Canon Powershot SX40 seems to be quite highly rated.

Thanks in advance.

Guest Lone Wolf

I bought and still use the Canon Powershot S3 (an older model Canon bridge camera). It's an excellent camera and very easy to use when you just want point and shoot, but also very versatile when you want to try your hand at something a bit more advanced.

No doubt the later Canon models are even better. Do a google search for best bridge camera. Pay attention to the optics quality across the full lens and build quality.

Thanks for your replies, yes, I have to say the Canon SX40 seems to come out on top in most of the reviews I've read.

This is what I need, something I can point and shoot but still get good, sharp pictures but which can also achieve this when zoomed in.

I really would like something that can capture excellent sharp photos. It would mostly be ships.

I have a Fuji Finepix 2995 and although some reviews are a bit mixed, have been pleased with it. One particular feature which is worth bearing in mind is that it has a viewfinder in addition to rear screen which is really useful in difficult lighting conditions.

First rate taste in proposed subject matter tho!

Thanks for the help. The more internet digging I do, the more I find and I have now discovered some great Christmas/New Year deals for entry level DSLRs!.

This has opened my subject a little more and I'm now wondering about an entry level DSLR because it would seem that as good as bridge cameras are, a DSLR takes image quality to the next level.

As mentioned, image quality is very important to me and my preference is for sharp, vibrant colours(good contrast?) so I'm wondering which make of camera gives better results in relation to this?.

Is it really like splitting hairs or are there some marked differences between the different makes?.

Guest Lone Wolf

Never really looked into entry level DSLRs, but any DSLR, even an entry level one would offer better image quality than a high end bridge camera. It's all to do with the image sensor.

They'd certainly give more versatility, but wide angle and telephoto attachments are available for Canon bridge cameras for around £100, although quality does deteriorate using them.

It's obviously your choice and you know what you need the camera for, but try not to be blinded by features offered. DSLRs allow lens changes, but can you afford them as good quailty ones can easily cost £500 or more and you may need different lenses as the standard lenses offer very little focal length versaltility (depends on the pictures you want to take). You also have the issue about carrying all the equipment around. I have an old 35mm SLR and all the various lenses and kit, I tended to use it less and less as carrying the kit around became too much and I ended up missing more shots than I got even though the shots I did get were better. As said it depends what you want the camera for. Have a quick read of the llinks, it may help (or not! :shock: )

http://www.whatdigitalcamera.com/equipment/advice/507500/best-entry-level-dslrs-2012-our-top-four-entry-level-dslrs-of-the-year.html

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g294206-i9216-k5260333-Good_Bridge_digital_camera_vs_entry_level_DSLR_for_safari-Kenya.html

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/reviews/dslrs/129293/10/fujifilm-x-s1-review

You mention you are interested in taking photos of ships Kavi ( at a distance ? ) so if you do go for a DSLR you will inevitably end up looking for a big lens up to 400 or 500mm with optical stabilizer which yes for say a Sigma 120 - 400mm from the Camera Centre will currently set you back about £760 plus of course the camera ! A camera own brand lens will be considerably more.

Best of luck on whatever you decide on... :)

I have an SLR with a 100-400mm lens which is expensive and unless you are really into photography can't really be justified. I have had a shot of the fuji as I mentioned earlier and also a compact Lumix with a really good zoom, which gave very good results at distance. A compact is probably all you need if you just want to point and shoot.

Guest Lone Wolf

Kavi Ugl. Get yourself a DSLR.

Listening to you, you sound like you'd be dissapointed with anything less. So indulge yourself and enjoy it. Better to spend £700 on something you really want than £400 on something that'll 'just do' :lol:

Keep the Panasonic one though as you'll be able to carry that everywhere you go