Road Grit

alnangler

Guest Lone Wolf
I had my windscreen chipped by the salt being spread by a gritter last Saturday, not amused! :(

It is not the salt, that would not be hard enough nor large enough, to chip a windscreen. It is the road surface breaking down that is causing all these damaged screens

Why does my quote never appear in a box like everyone elses?

I would disagree. I am allowed 2 claims in 3 years so when they ask have I claimed, and because I have not exceeded the allowed claims then my answer is no.

With all due respect thats fraud...

Or perception?

I am re-insuring with the same company. They should know what my record is!

It is not the salt, that would not be hard enough nor large enough, to chip a windscreen. It is the road surface breaking down that is causing all these damaged screens

I can assure you it was the salt being sprayed from the gritter that chipped my screen. 1 small crack and at least 2 other small chips.

depends if they are mixing grit in with the salt..

I would say are they mixing in any salt with the grit!,,

Our road looks like its been pebble dashed, with the amount of grit and they have only been over it twice this year to my knowledge. Some stones are quite big, so it's no wonder that windscreens are getting damaged.

Great for grip though!

Stones and other objects normally get swept aside except when the ice/snow holds them there, then of course, when it melts, they cover the entire road. Knowing this, it really is drivers responsibility to drive safely and with thought of others in these, or any other conditions. You need the small stones for additional grip on ice until enough cars travel over the area to crush in the salt/sugar to create a sticky brine which eventually melts the remaining ice.

Stones can be pulled from the tarmac as well during these conditions and potholes can form due to the expanding ice. So, really, driver, be aware.