School closures

GAZ1888CELTIC

How can you say that

By typing, similar to what I have done just now.

You dinna live here. Question. why is Shetland not to your liking.

Correct and where did you get the food for the question?

Folk used to have several children in their fold, now they don't.

The population of Lerwick has increased by a similar amount the rest of the islands have reduced.

Facts are there.

http://titanspineandsports.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/far_side002.jpg

Seems some are a little sensitive.

There has been a steady fall in the population of some of the islands. Folk are not breeding like they used to. Unless it is the District Heating that is enticing them away.

That may be true but the council this week were bemoaning a lack of housing in good old Lerwick and they know it is becoming a problem. Do they honestly think centralising everything is going to make the issue of people moving toward Lerwick better or worse?

There is no joined up thinking here. Keepin the rural areas attractive which includes things like schools and decent services will utilise what they already have. Closing schools and cutting services will exacerbate the Lerwick problem. Self fulfilling prophecy in my opinion.

If you check your local development plan the community and council have worked on identifying areas for development you will see there are allocations for additional housing around Lerwick. The money tied up in the housing debt needs to be released to start the investment. It is quite an interesting read.

If you check your local development plan the community and council have worked on identifying areas for development you will see there are allocations for additional housing around Lerwick. The money tied up in the housing debt needs to be released to start the investment. It is quite an interesting read.

There has been a steady fall in the population of some of the islands. Folk are not breeding like they used to. Unless it is the District Heating that is enticing them away.

Yell has had a stable population for the past 20 years of about 1000. This is the same for Whalsay.

Unst declined drastically because the RAF pulled out of the isle.

I don't know what other 'islands' you are talking about because the other isles are not under threat because of the commitment from the SIC to keep a primary school in each outer isle.

Yes but that still does not change the fact that closing schools will alter the viability of rural areas. That must make the Lerwick issue worse. That is not joined up thinking and it is not sensible. Surely it would be better to look for efficiencies and best use the existing infrastructure.

I think they have a bit of a cheek to still be emphasing under capacity in schools as a reason to shut them, considering the Rural Commission was highly critical of the way some local authorities work this out. The Commission have recommended that there is a standardised formula for all local authorities.

I've never been in the Olnafirth Primary school but I've driven past it. I find it hard to believe it's operating at 10% capacity and that it can hold 125 pupils.

they closed loads of schools in england for that reason. now they are needing to build more because of lackof space.

The development plan would also have been used to assess the numbers needing theI facilities for the next 15 years or so. I agree it is not joined up as seen. That is why someone needs to challenge this to make sure it is robust or not. It is Good someone is looking at the figures but more information will be needed to scrutinise.

The questions asked here on this thread should be asked in public and using FOI requests can help.

• 3 weeks later...

Did anyone notice that the council meeting to be held the other week to discuss the school transport tenders was cancelled?

The story doing the rounds is that they nearly fell off their seats when they saw the figures. They then went and approached all the bus operators who had tendered for the contracts and asked them to reduce their figures by 10%.

When they were asked by a bus operator what was happening now they were told that there would be nothing done until August.

Exactly. What I would like to know is where does this leave parents who are awaiting the updated school transport costs?

Presumably they can't get this information now because it will be classed as confidential until the contracts are awarded.

Unless anyone knows different?