Parish cup

penfold

I say this from a totally nuetral perspective. Regarding the penalty incident in the Parish Cup Final, I don't know what game moorit and sannicktonman were watching, but it wasn't the game that kicked off at Gilbertson Park at 5:30pm on saturday thats for sure. For starters the Whalsay player who conceded the penalty was Kevin Robertson, not Karl Williamson. Secondly, Robertson wasn't the last man. Westside's Duncan Anderson was cutting in from the left when Robertson needlessly slid in and brought him down. This was much to the dismay of Monty who had the situation in hand and was ready to clear as Robertson lunged in. In my opinion, I thought the referee handled the game very well, considering it was his first major final.

I also say this from a totally neutral perspective.

I would agree that it appeared the ref felt pressured into giving Whalsay the benefit of the decisions.

I was also surprised that the Whalsay player who gave away the penalty didn't even get a yellow card.

And he definitely put up with a lot of verbal abuse from some of the Whalsay players without taking any action.

I suppose he did handle the game reasonably well, considering it was his first major final.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Westside's Duncan Anderson was cutting in from the left

....goodness gracious me!! There was I thinking it was Peter Farquhar cutting in from the right. Funny how different people see the same events differently.

BTW I'm not claiming to be right - that's just how I recollect the penalty incident.

Peter Farquhar cutting in from the right was the source of Westside's goal. Farquhar sprinted down the right wing into the penalty box. He then squared for Vinnie Walterson who's miss-hit shot went straight back to Farquhar (who was standing near the touchline and looking suspiciously offside)! Farquhar then cut the ball back to Jamie Wilson who scored from around 8 yards out to put Westside 1-0 up. Whalsay equalised through Monty and took the lead with Ian Simpson's excellent free kick. Duncan Anderson then did his damage (from the left) to win Westside the penalty, which Grant Thomson saved from Jon Moncrieff shortly before half time.

:oops:

However that should improve my chances of a job with any of the Redtops.

Your recollection is admirable - I do mind thinkin that Peter was looking suspiciously offside (from my vantage point 50 yards away behind lots of tall folk) but I guess he wasn't or (a) the linesman would've noticed it and (B) the Whalsay boys would've kicked up more of a fuss.

Unless his initial momentum had carried him off the park and he was still not on it when Vinny's 'shot' came his way. Or there was a Whalsay defender on the line.

Who was the referee?

Robbie Goudie - scorer of Sandwick's second goal in their 7-2 Parish Cup semi final defeat to...... West United 8O .

Not that I'm hinting at any conspiracy theories :lol: :lol:

It's the new Hearts way :wink:

What...to NOT hint at conspiracy theories?

Nah, we've been not hinting since 1874.

It's only paranoia when they're NOT out to get you. :lol: :lol:

how did Bates get on handling the game, This was his first Cup Final as ref was it not?

Personally I thought he did fine, though I'd have to confess my view of the action wasn't the best (still trying to wriggle my way out of my cock-up from earlier :D ).

However, credit to both teams for playing the game in such a manner that there WERE no hugely controversial incidents.

Some people earlier in the thread have mentioned his apparent easiness on some of the Whalsay lads actions, but that's opinions for you.

• 5 months later...

Karl Williamson was scouted at a coaching session (George Cowie perhaps?) in Shetland and signed for Aberdeen (never played first team), released by Alex Miller then signed for Brechin City, played for them for a bit then moved home.

Until a Shetland player wants to live out of Shetland and make a real go of it is a non-starter and never will be.