Courier parcels being opened in transit?

Ghostrider

Oh I didn't complain about the fact they had blown it up, but I do think that they could have informed both me and the supplier of the fact. Both my address and suppliers was on package, but they never said anything until I enquired about it.

Apologies, CS, it wasn't aimed at you. It would appear that FionaJohn has their tinfoil hat on at the moment  :mrgreen:

Yup, It's a bit off to say the least if your goods get knacked and they don't inform you ASAP.

Mind you, I ordered some Heldite jointing compound off Fleabay a while ago - no show.

Eventually the supplier admitted that Post Office had destroyed the goods as it was classed as 'flammables/dangerous goods'. They scanned a copy of the letter from the PO proving this. Unfortunately, the letter also stated they (PO) had warned the company on three previous occasions about attempting to post banned goods and they were officially being reported to 'the relevant transport regulator'.......

So the company were just winging it and stayed schtum until I queried the non-delivery. :roll:

anti terror squad /drugs squad/any gov dept you can think of worse than the stazi now nothing sacred

So you're saying counter terrorism and anti drugs squads shouldn't be allowed to open mail?  :ponders:

Do they not x-ray suspect packages at the post office/couriers' depots up here then?

No I have had a few post office parcels opened and re-sealed with labels attched to say they had checked the contents

it looks more tampered than inspected. i used to receive parcels from the usa a lot and customs inspectors tend to be neat. its odd that youve had it happen 3 times. can i ask what was in it.,

DOG FOOD.

First time it happened it was Arden Grange lamb & rice 12kg.  It wasn't tampered with as such, it looked more rat eaten to the extent the bottom of the actual package had been gnawed through also.

Second time was Nature Diet, a cardboard box containing something like 15 cartons but whether or not the box had split or not we couldn't tell, given the amount of duct tape ... but two of the cartons had just been stuck with duct tape to the outside of the cardboard box.

Third time (the photographed item) was Arden Grange chicken & rice 12kg and this time it really does look like the outer packaging had been cut open with a knife.

With the latter two incidents, I have visions of a drugs dog indicating a 'positive sign' and getting very excited with what they had discovered.

Edit:-

PS Amazon are sending a replacement for the last order - £27 worth.

Edited by Suffererof1crankymofo

Just had a con flab with an eBay seller who had sent me a small light parcel through parcelforce . First one was returned to him as a failed delivery ? Despite no notice left at mine. Second one he sent has never turned up two weeks later. He's now going to try sending a third time using first class post. As he says this is costing him and he's unlikely to send stuff to Shetland in future.

Parcelforce needs to get their act together.

Just had a con flab with an eBay seller who had sent me a small light parcel through parcelforce . First one was returned to him as a failed delivery ? Despite no notice left at mine. Second one he sent has never turned up two weeks later. He's now going to try sending a third time using first class post. As he says this is costing him and he's unlikely to send stuff to Shetland in future.

I'm not convinced by your suppliers excuses, WW. I've had shedloads of deliveries via Parcelforce here on Yell with no issues whatsoever. If it's Parcelforce, then their is remit is to leave the standard PO printout through the letterbox if they can't deliver.

Personally, I'd smell a large rodent somehwre.....

very odd. if it was a suspect parcel it would have been all opened. not just outer. its possible theres a rat problem but it would need to be a very bad one if its always happening you could suspect it may be in wet conditions. your last one may have been affected by the flood in aberdeen.

I'm not convinced by your suppliers excuses, WW. I've had shedloads of deliveries via Parcelforce here on Yell with no issues whatsoever. If it's Parcelforce, then their is remit is to leave the standard PO printout through the letterbox if they can't deliver.

Personally, I'd smell a large rodent somehwre.....

Yeh, that was my first thought but he included a scan of the receipt in his email.

I get stuff from parcelforce all the time without problem, and he says he's not had many problems with them up until now. But one failed delivery and one lost is the current status. Hopefully the 1st class mail one will arrive.

very odd. if it was a suspect parcel it would have been all opened. not just outer. its possible theres a rat problem but it would need to be a very bad one if its always happening you could suspect it may be in wet conditions. your last one may have been affected by the flood in aberdeen.

The outer package was cut open.  Any idiot could see upon peering in without lifting the dog food out that it was indeed dog food via Amazon, especially if I'm correct re the "I can't tell the wuff difference between smack and dog food" drugs dog.  That incident didn't have any signs of being gnawed at by rats.  Whoever cut the package open should have the decency to indicate like Royal Mail/Parcel Force do that they did so.  It's the utter contempt and disregard by cutting it open that annoys me, use a blooming scanning machine for starters if you reckon drugs are in a suspect package!

There's been rats on boats and at many a port in the past.

i sent a violin to france. box arrived all tape had been cut. it was returned to me. well the box was. very odd how parcels just open themselves. and of course you dont receive the postage back just the value. it was nicked in the uk. yet they still sent an open empty box abroad. strangely buyer refused to accept it. the french are always picky.

There's so many different agencies involved in the courier service these days that you haven't a scooby of finding out whose handled your goods (oo-er missis) even if you try to track it down via the main courier.

There's so many subbies and small couriers - along with owner drivers (professional) and eejits in saloons going round slinging parcels about that it goes without saying that some of them are going to be somewhat less than professional. And that's without even starting on the quality of some of the warehouse staff that you see lurking around tranny vans and wagons.

The problem is, as usual, that it reflects on everybody and there's no way of telling if the guys who you trust your gear to are up to the mark or not. One bad apple can ruin a companies' reputation.