Entry Policy - Mareel

Colin

http://www.shetnews.co.uk/news/14024-mareel-no-go-for-34-year-old-trainspotter

Don't really know what to make of this as the guy (from the picture) looks well over 18.  Maybe some of Mareel's staff need re-training or, maybe they were just being a'holes.

Be interesting to know the "back story" before making any judgement..

Colin, people are challenged if they look under 25. It was changed from 18 as there's shedloads of teenagers that could pass for 20. I'd have challenged him as well.

The Mareel staff are simply following a nationwide code to cut down on under age drinking.

The Mareel staff are simply following a nationwide code to cut down on under age drinking.

Hmmm.... While selling him alcohol-loaded pints? Another nationwide code run solely by cock-eyed control merchants that don't know their jobs, don't care about their jobs and are intent on proving their power, but not their nonexistant brains, to any member of the public that they can inflict it all on.

Think that I'll go for a couple of pints today. I hope that I get served.

Is this even news? "A man doesn't get into cinema but gets a pint"??

Sub headline "Two different members of staff in different parts of a building had different opinions on how old a customer looked, and the customer didn't have the proof of age that customers are recommended to take with them"

I expect that the exact same situation happens in cinemas and all kinds of licensed premises on a daily basis.

Edited by Davie P

Hmmm.... While selling him alcohol-loaded pints? Another nationwide code run solely by cock-eyed control merchants that don't know their jobs, don't care about their jobs and are intent on proving their power, but not their nonexistant brains, to any member of the public that they can inflict it all on.

Think that I'll go for a couple of pints today. I hope that I get served.

If that's your attitude to the staff, I expect you won't get served

Edited by Davie P

The Challenge 25 initiative is promoted by 'drinkaware' and run by the 'Retail of Alcohol Standards Group'.

It is intended to be used as a tool to help determine age when young people are buying alcohol.

If Mareel has decided to use the same policy for entry into the cinema then I suppose that is their prerogative, although possibly not its intended use.

It is a little ironic that this person was then allowed to purchase alcohol at the bar without issue.

Maybe a staff reshuffle could lead to a more balanced outcome, at least he could have gone somewhere else for a pint afterwards.