Emergency Services Reckless Driving

Jimsie_Macmutton

What happened up at the top of the sound brae has been waiting to happen for some time. I often see 'near misses' when it comes to the Emergency Services responding to call outs. Yes they need to respond quickly but to overtake a vehicle while it was turning into Sandy loch drive is nothing short of reckless and it is extremely lucky no-one was seriously injured.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see them the whole time going at break neck speeds over takeing everything up sound brae. There has to be a fine line between getting some where quickly and getting there safely. For example in the case of the police going to sumburgh airport was there really a need for them to go so fast? I can understand if it was an ambulance to a heart attack victim though etc.

I don't think we should use this forum to have a go at the police!

naaaaah! why not?

There was a "possible" similar emergency a couple of weeks ago and I nearly sh** me breeks at the speed they met me at.

These types of "possible accidents" thankfully rarely develop..there's far more chance of a rogue driver plunging into a school bus or such like. And what would the police role have been in an aircraft crash anyway... certainly not a rescue role. they can measure the skid marks later

Guest dabuoyfaedanort
They probally see it as a "perk" of the job!

I couldna agree more we yun statement, they do think o it as a perk that their able to drive aroond at whitever speed they think fit, wether it be 20mph or 100mph, its joost a matter o time afore a serious accident happens and on their heads be it. Its just sheer cockyness fae them.

Anybody feel like hazarding a guess at his speed at the moment of impact, that could spin him 180 and lay him on his lug so far from the road? My money is lying on a number above the posted limit.

Then, anyone care to estimate his speed at the end of the Ackrigarth road? This is widely reported as a Focus estate, and although it's not really possible to get a definite ID from the pics, it would seem to be. At least two guys in it, that thing certainly didn't gain 1 mph climbing, and he had to have a damn good head of steam on her at Ackrigarth not to be steadily losing mph climbing.

Why on earth did the police feel the need to be going so fast anyway? I heard the helicopter concerned in the emergency was half an hour away from sumburgh when the police left town. Lerwick to Sumburgh only takes 25 minutes and thats going at a safe speed!! And what were they planning on doing when they arrived? There was already several fire appliances there in full control of the situation. The police wouldn't have been able to do much anyway.

When it comes to emergencies at any Airport there is a need for Police presence at an early stage. Who else is going to take charege of the dead bodies. I can assure you the fire brigade will not take them and nor will the ambulance.

Early police presence will be able to help alot of families when they need the info that their loved ones are dead or alive.

Of course the police are getting the blame yet again. How about the other vehicles on the road? Did the other vehicle driver follow the simple Highway code rule Mirror Signal Mirror Manouvre? Did the police car overtake in the face of oncoming traffic?

I would also like to point out the standard of driving in Shetland is appauling. People see blue lights and continue driving in their normal manner.

In relation to driving at SPEED all cops in Shetland have undergone a three week training course, driving at high speeds through Inverness. More advanced driver's have been trained at driving at speed of more than double the speed limit. This course lasts five weeks and has been compared to undergoing the same stresses as fighter jet pilots. When cops drive at high speed they have to predict what other driver's are going to do as well as drive their own vehicle.