St. Clements Hall

JustMe

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Catlover

I remember that I once got a polly pocket toy and some coat hangers from chris hodges sale in this hall. I heard that he was going to be coming back and selling stuff from here agina in the st clements hall.

the building was used for this years jarl squad to make there suits and stuff. Its also used for a first aid room on up helly aa

Hadn't heard that; I thought they'd used St Olaf's Hall, not to mention the two 'bunkers'.

The first aiders were based in the Town Hall if I remember the Mass meeting briefing correctly.

One of the reasons why "they" (I don't understand who makes these decisions) refused planning for the potential "Ice Factory" venue near Hays dock was because we were all bound to get drunk and fall in the sea (I can't think of many pubs in Shetland that aren't a drunken stumble from the sea). And the Amenity trust ended up with that as their new HQ.

I believe one of the reasons that the Carnival dance at the Fort was stopped was because we were all bound to fall to our deaths over the walls, drunk. And the council's getting the Fort for their new HQ?

I'm glad to see that the decision makers have our safety in mind

I think the main reason was that it was in the middle of an industrial estate, with Shetland Line working with cranes,forklifts and artics, plus Shetland Janitorial has all kinds of chemicals in their area.

One of the reasons why "they" (I don't understand who makes these decisions) refused planning for the potential "Ice Factory" venue near Hays dock was because we were all bound to get drunk and fall in the sea (I can't think of many pubs in Shetland that aren't a drunken stumble from the sea). And the Amenity trust ended up with that as their new HQ.

I believe one of the reasons that the Carnival dance at the Fort was stopped was because we were all bound to fall to our deaths over the walls, drunk. And the council's getting the Fort for their new HQ?

I'm glad to see that the decision makers have our safety in mind

The "main made up piece of codswhallop" refusal behind the ice factory was the fact people Like streamline and hays said it would be to close to their dangerous chemicals.. I always thought dangerous chemicals had to be stored safely.. but it appeared a few councilers back then forgot the basics of health and safety.

Maybe we could all chip in and buy what used to be somewhere else and turn it back into a club with indoor burger van?

• 3 weeks later...

St Clements Hall is a listed building with interesting history going back to the Dutch days in Lerwick.

It is hoped that St Clements will become usefull as a visitor centre or even other suggestions included removing the display part of the Up Helly Aa shed so it can be easier to find at St Clements.

Lerwick Community Council and Sandy Cluness has added support to see the building find a new lease of life soon and the best idea would simply be a visitor centre similar to Bressay & Fetlar.

Lerwick has got a great museum but more is needed for visitors and locals to see & do.

Fort Charlotte is way underused and it really could be opened up in Summer to include open dramas, farmers markets, summer teas & any other event that springs to mind.

If you want to add ideas for Fort Charlotte such as events or teas etc then feel free to contact Lerwick Community Council or any offical parties ie Lerwick Old Town Development Association. They would welcome any suitable suggestions to put forward.

There has also been talks to extend King Erik House to the hall and use it for more accommodation space.

St Clements is a lovely old building sadly neglected but a new lease of life can't be far away.

:mrgreen:

• 1 year later...

Just noticed this thread and was wondering if St Clements is being used or has been earmarked for anything yet?

Also, does anybody know if the old Gym hall in King Harald St is being used and who owns it? I remember playing football there with the Boys Brigade about 20yrs ago and occassionally going there with the school for PE.

Two prime sites in the middle of town, not really being used to their potential it seems.

Council uses the old gym hall in King Harold St to house all Occupational Therapies equipment such as chairs, bath seats, stair rails etc. St Clements Hall is still sitting rotting away. The council may aswell sell it to someone who could make use of it!

Cheers

There is a lovely old church building in Inverness that has been transformed into a second-hand book shop along with a restaurant.

It is called Leakeys Book Shop.

A great success.

When you visit it.. You just don't want to leave.

Especially if you like old books.

An idea maybe for St Clements?

Hjaltland are in the process of going to convert the Baptist Kirk in to flats, if the council already own Clements, and especially if its going unused, can they not convert it in to flats too, or if they can't, donate/sell it to Hjaltland for a nominal fee so that they can. Neither old kirk is best suited for conversion in to anything that will generate much traffic due to their location, but at least Clements has a lot better parking a lot nearer that the Baptist Kirk does. Assuming the majority of residents with vehicles will be away during work hours, the Toon Hall Brae should be relatively free for them to use at others times, the Baptist Kirk site doesn't even have that, whoever ends up living there is just going to have to take their chances of "maybe" finding someplace in Ronald Street or Annsbrae Place competing with residents there.