The gym and sports complex

DarkstarIII

I have never had the pleasure of actually seeing the gym in Shetland yet... what is it like? What is the fitness equipment like? What is the pool like? Does anyone go to the gym there? etc etc.. Any info would be gratefully received...

Have a look at http://www.visitshetland.com/attractions-and-activities/active/sports-facilities/

I quote:

"Built in three phases at a cost of £16 million, the light and airy buildings on the shores of the Clickimin Loch house a magnificent 25-metre pool with flumes, river ride, giant bubble pool, toddlers’ pool and outdoor lagoon! You can also relax in the comfort of our health suite that contains a sauna, steam room, spa pool, C.V. equipment and toning chairs. The dry facility hosts a variety of popular sports and leisure activities, with the main 6-court sports hall, a bowls hall, multi-use studio, and state-of-the-art squash courts and Apex fitness centre. After a hard workout you can relax with friends in the bar and café. Outside the complex have fine sports pitches and a newly refurbished athletics arena. In addition we have a modern, well equipped Caravan and Camp Site that accommodates 30 tent pitches and 20 caravan stances with electrical hook-up. An additional bonus is that you will only be charged at our concession rates while staying on the site."

There's also a indoor climbing wall.

Yup I knew it.. I am going to love living in shetland... cant wait to get the bikini on and get in the pool... and the facilities sound excellent... my other half made it sound p**s poor to be honest...

Interested in the actual gym tho... wonder what the equipment is like... :lol:

Does anyone know how much it is for a years membership..... cause I think I will be spending a lot of time there! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yup I knew it.. I am going to love living in shetland... cant wait to get the bikini on and get in the pool... and the facilities sound excellent... my other half made it sound p**s poor to be honest...

Interested in the actual gym tho... wonder what the equipment is like... :lol:

I haven't been for ages, because I prefer running and cycling out in the fresh air, but apparently the equipment is top-notch. As I recall there were many more CV machines than weights machines, and no free weights, but as I said, that was some time ago. There are people on Shetlink who go regularly: they might be more informative than me :)

The "Apex" gym at Clickimin is very well equipped, with new CV machines having been installed about a couple of years ago. Most of the CV stuff has in-built TV and radio so you can watch/listen while you train.

Main gripe about the gym is the fact it is very small (certainly in comparison to those on the mainland). There isn't a huge amount of weights equipment due to limited space and you can sometimes struggle to get on CV equipment during busy periods.

The staff are friendly enough but are typically reactive as opposed to being pro-active (ie. they rarely move from the desk unless you make the effort to ask for assistance).

I had been a member paying by direct debit for quite a few years. Cost was about £30 per month but this was purely just for the gym. I think you can get a membership that covers the pool and health suite too as well as the gym. The cost is pretty poor value compared to places like JJB on the mainland where you are charged £36 for peak gym, all classes, steam/sauna and the swimming pool. It also compares unfavourably to other local authority run places like the Commonwealth Pool, where a similar monthly payment gets you classes and the pool.

Suppose that is partly offset by the fact the equipment is always the best money can buy (there was nothing wrong with the old stuff when it was replaced!).

The "Apex" gym at Clickimin is very well equipped, with new CV machines having been installed about a couple of years ago. Most of the CV stuff has in-built TV and radio so you can watch/listen while you train.

Main gripe about the gym is the fact it is very small (certainly in comparison to those on the mainland). There isn't a huge amount of weights equipment due to limited space and you can sometimes struggle to get on CV equipment during busy periods.

The staff are friendly enough but are typically reactive as opposed to being pro-active (ie. they rarely move from the desk unless you make the effort to ask for assistance).

I had been a member paying by direct debit for quite a few years. Cost was about £30 per month but this was purely just for the gym. I think you can get a membership that covers the pool and health suite too as well as the gym. The cost is pretty poor value compared to places like JJB on the mainland where you are charged £36 for peak gym, all classes, steam/sauna and the swimming pool. It also compares unfavourably to other local authority run places like the Commonwealth Pool, where a similar monthly payment gets you classes and the pool.

Suppose that is partly offset by the fact the equipment is always the best money can buy (there was nothing wrong with the old stuff when it was replaced!).

Agree with everything you said. The Apex may look good, but in fact, it struggles to provide a good workout if you're after anything other than CV.

Also, pricewise, unless you're in the council, it's a real expense. £30 a month for that place is a bit of a joke. The older equipment maybe didn't look as good but it worked better. There are no free weights of any standard, and the free weights area is about 5 by 1 metres - which, for the price they're charging, is insane.

There is no doubt that it's a poorly though out gym, and I really do think they should knock the price down to £2.00 for an hour, as opposed the the ridiculous £4.20 for 90 mins.

For my liking, it's way too geared towards CV fitness rather a 'gym'. The weights area of the Apex is like 3 by 3 m, which is basically 5 machines. If ever there was a good place for it, it would've been the bowls hall. Perfect for it.

Personally, I hate it because it's too showy and way too pricey for my pocket, but I really don't have much other choice. I mean, is it necessary to have touch screens with headphone jacks on all these machines?!? I don't think so, it's a luxury that compromises the overall service of that place. Ideally they should split the gym into two rooms, CV and weights, then you wouldn't have the problem - however, where that would be in Clickimin is debateble.

There is still, unless i'm out of date, the serious weights gym at tingwall. Perhaps the town could do with one too.

Njugle, apparently, and I've spoken to someone about this, I think they are struggling to get money for funding that gym.

It certainly does make sense for the town to have something like that.

Commodore, your argument holds no weight (pardon the pun). Should we design a gym for use by overweight people to, for the fear that they would feel inadequate due to the users who are in better shape? No. My only argument against the Tingwall gym is it is not well publicised, and I certainly would not have a clue how to go about getting a membership. Accessibility is a big issue with that.

Clickimin should look into this - a simple rack of weights outside the Apex would be a start.

There's a stair from the Apex down to pretty much the Loch Bar immediately under the gym.

Clickimin has two bars, neither of which is ever busy. Close the Loch Bar and extend the gym downstairs?

I do think that's a good idea. I mean, it is a sports complex. I think Lerwick many a boozer already - and yes, the bowlers bar is dormant. It really would be a good idea, so don't expect it to happen. Maybe I'll put it in their suggestion box

• 2 weeks later...

It's a good idea to close one of the bars. It is supposed to be a sports center after all but i don't think you would get much equipment in the loch bar. It just kinda fills a bit of dead space at the moment and the bowlers bar is a little to far away to be an extension of Apex. It is a much more usasble space though.