The most bizarre place you've bumped into a Shetlander?

peeriebryan

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Heard a definite Shetland accent in front of me at the top of the Auckland tower (tallest structure in the Southern Hemisphere) in New Zealand a couple of weeks ago.

I would definitely have said "hiyi", were it not for the fact that I was poised to take a photo of my brother and my friend jumping off the top of said tower, albeit with a harness attached to their backs. They only dangle them in front of the observation deck for a second or two to allow photo-taking before sending them hurtling to the ground.

I would have struck up a conversation with the gentleman, but I did not want to be distracted from my phototaking duties. Ach well.

Also met Pooks in his Whakatane bar, but that was kind of planned - still a fair bit away though!!

Sitting on a plane in Memphis waiting for aa body to get aboard for take off,I was watching someone holding up the passangers while trying to get a huge box in the over head thingy, only to realise it was a fellow shetland buddy!!! once we landed in Aberdeen um er not too sure too many drams but made the plane hame. hicup!

• 2 weeks later...
Also met Pooks in his Whakatane bar, but that was kind of planned - still a fair bit away though!!

Aha! My accommodation finding colleague!

Bumped into a bloke that was posted in Unst a while back while I was in NZ, does that count? Apart from that, met a couple of Shetlanders at Heathrow on the way back.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

I work on oil rigs and the last rig I was on was my first rig in the Mediterranean (off the coast of Egypt - still there, on another rig). The first time I got on board, I did the usual rig induction and then went in search of my cabin. When I found it, the door was blocked by a large man and I had to squeeze past him. When he turned around, I recognized him as a Shetlander I hadn't seen for years - you travel thousands of miles to work on a lump of steel in the Med and the first person you bump into is a fellow Sheltie.

• 3 weeks later...

I have met a few Shetlanders here in Melbourne,but 2 stories stand out.

the first was when i was working in an old folks home,the receptionist recognised i had an accent,i told her i was from Shetland,she took me through to an old womans room.It was a 93 year old woman who had left shetland when she was 16,she was originally a Sutherland from the Ness.

the other time was when i met a Dalziel boy in the Queue for the rugby,out of 80,000 people he was in the Queue behind me,i recognised the face but he didnt recognise mine.

I got in a cab in San Francisco just off Union Square and the guy asks where I'm from - funny accent and all that, so I said that I lived in Burra and the cabbie replies "That's great, my wife's a Shetlander". I wonder one day if I step out on the surface of Mars there'll be a Magnie clad pipe smoker sat on a rock telling me to avoid the sassermeat in the local cafe because it's not as good as he gets at home!

• 1 year later...