Southern League The End!!!

jeems

Just wondering if anybody has heard whats happening with the League this year? rumour seems to be that they are going to stop it this year?

If so does anyone have any idea's as to how it might be kept going in another format or do the players and club's that are involved now think it should be folded, Is it worth keeping going with just 3 teams and playing four knock-out cups?

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Penfold would b the man wi da answers i reckon, i hav a feeling he's fae around those parts! From what i've spoken to boys fae da ness, they seem pretty uninterested and would rather see a strong ness side at the league's expense if it came down to it. I dunno wat older ones think, or whether its possible to sustain a strong ness side without having a strong southern league that would seem to have weakened it (ness utd) over the years.

I really don't know!

Not really sure where it will end up there are a few ideas being punted around but as usual thats all it'll be the same folk turn up at the AGM and they will probably stop the competition as it stands now, Its mainly the same folk that are on the committe of Ness Utd and it seems that they want to push forward with making Ness Utd a stronger force in the SFA competition.

If anybody begs to differ then they should get off their ass's and go along to the AGM on the 25th of this month and give their opinion, but what'll more likely happen is that they will post on here and not bother going incase they have to do something.

Just wondered if there was going to be any Southern League football at all this season was all, some of the rumour mongers were saying that they were going to limit each team to 3 A players, and encourage older palyers to play as well cant see that working very well :o

So far Jeems the proposals spoken about are as follows,

1) Carry on with the current format, 3 teams playing for 4 knock-out cups, competitions to be fitted in through-out the season not to the detrement of Ness Utd senior or under 18's fixtures and all players from the area eligable to play can be fielded by the teams.

2) keep the same format as above but each of the teams will be limited to only being able to play 3 Ness Utd players, (this affects Sandwick and Southend Utd far more than Cunningsburgh).

3) Stop all the current summer competitions and hold a winter indoor league open to any team that meets the League eligability rules.

4) Southern League to cease summer competitions with the possibilty of one of the member clubs fielding a team in the works League.

5) Cease summer competitions and form a pool of players under Ness Utd's guidance to play friendly games this season with a view to the establishment of a full B team next year.

6) Cease all competitions and wind up the league after 56 years of competition.

Thats the ideas that have been mooted so far if anyone has anymore feel free to let us know, the AGM will now be on the 11th of March at the Sandwick Social Club at 7.00pm if you have an opinion or wish to stand for the committee then please attend.

Yeah it seems to be the way most players are thinking Flawsey I've not heard much from people wanting to put in the effort required to keep it running, its a pity in a way like you say, some good times and some good games too, but it looks like its day has come.

I for one think its a shame the Southern League is going to cease. From a personal point of view I looked forward to playing on a Saturday night then heading to "da hawtel" for a couple of pints, inevitably ending up in a drunken stooper drinkin fae da cup.

Like a lot of the players I've been playing since I was young and would like to see it continue. I'm not sure about the other players but I never minded playing 3 times a week, as there's really not alot else to do. In addition there are players from the 3 existing Southern League teams who dont really get a look in for Ness (or in some cases choose not to play) and it also gives them a chance to play some fitba, and there's nothing better than stuffing Sandwick on a fine summer's night!

Also I felt on our day, the Southend team were a match for most teams in Shetland, and playing once or twice a year in the Parish Cup I feel isn't enough for Southend.

Personally I can't really do alot at the moment in the organisation of the League as I am away most of the year as well as being a lazy b**tard! But would like to see some action to ensure there is a Southern League comp of some sort in place.

Although the League was considered a joke by those on the outside I'm sure we all know how good the standard was for a long, long time.

Indeed, and though the names might not mean much to the younger readers, a Sandwick midfield of Gordon Lawson, Kenny Malcolmson and Ewan Odie would have had many a Shetland manager salivating.

And Sandwick, admittedly were dominant at that time, never actually had that many games that were a stroll in the park.

I for one think its a shame the Southern League is going to cease. From a personal point of view I looked forward to playing on a Saturday night then heading to "da hawtel" for a couple of pints, inevitably ending up in a drunken stooper drinkin fae da cup.

That was very gentlemanly of Sandwick to pay a visit to the Hotel before taking the cup back up the road to the Social Club :lol: :lol: :wink:

Although the League was considered a joke by those on the outside I'm sure we all know how good the standard was for a long, long time.

Indeed, and though the names might not mean much to the younger readers, a Sandwick midfield of Gordon Lawson, Kenny Malcolmson and Ewan Odie would have had many a Shetland manager salivating.

And Sandwick, admittedly were dominant at that time, never actually had that many games that were a stroll in the park.

They did, Thistle and Spurs managers!