Southern League The End!!!

jeems

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope, you are wrong with that comment. The best ever Sandwick player is Kevin "tibby" Malcolmson. People go on about the "Cruyff turn" but the "tibby turn" is far more superior to anything i've seen. He is a genuine great player and leader of the Sandwick team.

Does anyone know what has happened to the Southern League? Penfold, has gone to the meeting but got soo drunk he has forgot what was said. All he said was "it will be in the shetland times". Come on penfold, you will have to let us know because we are genuine Southern League fans.

My opinion has changed NORTnSOOTH. Stoichkov made some good points and so did flawsy4. I am a genuine fan of the Southern League. There is nothing better than watching the Southern League. It's better than the A-league on entertainment value. It's a great laugh! My point was that no A league players should play in it.

It's the most valuable comment on this form!

Does anyone know how ness are doing in pre-season? Someone told me they have a few friendly games coming up. I heard today that the Southern League would continue for players who can't play A-league. In the long term these players will play B league football next year for Ness B. Also, it might be used as a winter league during the long winter months.

I think using it as a winter league would be a great idea. Football on the mainland is played throughout the winter months on astro pitches at night and early Kick-offs at 14.00, mostly Satardays. Most players would rather play 11-aside competitive football during the winter rather than 5-aside training in some games hall.

Ness A & B during the Summer and Southern League during the winter!

Since the discussion has been opened up again, i will tell you my opinion/the facts. When Ness last had a 'B' team, and by that i mean an 'A' and a 'B' team running simultaneously without another club being merged with the 'A' team, then it struggled. The main problem is that there are too many people who are not commited to playing 'B' football. It was always a struggle to get enough players willing to travel further North than Lerwick. So therefore, in my opinion, the Southern League offers a viable alternative to getting humped 10-0 against Whalsay 'B' with 9 men (or as i should say - boys). The young players have as much to gain playing in the Southern League. I'm not saying don't have a 'B' team, i'm saying you need both. The problem with Ness, is that since 1996, there has been a losing mentality. And that has been fostered even more so in the 'B's. The SL gives most players - please, no Cunningsburgh jokes - a chance to have a winning mentality. The Ness 'B' team has always been made up of a few of talented young players, and a core of SL die-hards. The young players waiting to get enough experience and the oppurtunity to play in the 'A' league, and the rest who will never be good enough to play for the 'A's (although many have - desperate times and desperate measures and all that). The rest of the 'B' team was made up by who ever could be persuaded to play before/during/after an SL game. All this talk of too much football is a nonsense, i often played 5 games a week (although never 2 in 1 day). The SL takes place on a saturday, when there is no other football. And most players worthy of playing 'A' league football can't get enough games, because lets face it, there isn't much else to do.

The best player in the SL has no problem turning out for the best team in Shetland, and then the worst team in the SL the next day (sorry couldn't resist having a dig at Southend). So if it's good enough for him, it should be good enough for the rest of you. I hope he would agree with everything i've said here, as he is one of the few players who has played at every level in the aforementioned circumstances.

So, feel free to direct your questions this way.

I forgot to say..... one of my points is that the SL offers football, without the less commited having to travel long distances for games. It seems to be a point missed by most. It's a long way for someone to travel from Scatness to Brae/Whalsay. Especially when they have the attitude that most 'B' players do. Let them help the young guys play senior football, but lets keep the SL and make sure there is enough games.

SL being played during winter is a great idea. But where would it be played?

I'm sure i have more to say on this subject.........

But since i can't think cos i've written too much, let me make one throw away comment.....

"A Southern League with three teams and cancelled fixtures, is better than no Southern Leage at all"