Supermarkets in Shetland - prices, ethics and experiences

breeksy

I THINK TESCO HAS EVERY RIGHT TO BE IN SHETLAND DON'T TELL ME ALL THE LOCAL RETAILERS SHOP IN ALL THE SMALL SHOPS AND GET ALL THERE HOUSEHOLD STUFF FROM THE LOCAL SHOPS AND AT ONE TIME PHOTO SHOP OPENED NEXT TO A PHOTO SHOP WAS THAT NOT COMPETITION AND ALL THE OTHER SHOPS SELL A BIT O EVERY THING AND AS WE ALL HAVE A RIGHT TO SHOP WHERE WE WANT

http://www.352media.com/rantingandraving/CMFiles/Images/CapsLock.jpg

I would love to see a vibrant street with lots of interesting shops competing in the market place, but have to question this girnin by a few local retailers who blame the supermarkets for their lack of trade. Sometimes we need to stop blaming others and look at ourselves. How can we complain when we keep our shops shut when hundreds of people are comming of linners, or on a Wednesday. Then moan that others are taking our trade!

I would have a lot more sympathy if I felt they were doing everything they could to improve things. Like being open, better choices and range of prices etc.

I went into a shop for a watering can and the only one there was £25.00 with a rose on the end that would fall off if you tipped it up. Ended up getting a good solid one off ebay for £6.75 including delivery.

I'm fed up with going into local shops to ask for a bit I need, to be told 'na we dinna hiv yon'. When I ask, 'can you get it', Im told its no worth their while. They come accross as showing a lack of interest.

I know there are some good retailers, who do go out of thier way to help and I do my best to support them, but like a lot of people, Im on a budget, and have to shop where I can afford it.

A high number of people have, since da nort boats, shopped sooth and with the growth of the internet I would assume this is more so now. Im not convinced that Tescos extention will play a big part in the further demise of the street, but it might encourage people to buy more locally. Noo I know the profits from Tescos don't end up in Shetland, but it will provide many jobs and it does provide spin offs to the local economy, Haulage etc.

I would have to agree with Ghostwriters views and feel mabey its time to take a new approach to an old problem.

The shops on the street contribute very little to the local ecconomy as most do not manufacture the goods they sell. They buy from a supplier put their whack on the goods and then sell on. We all could have more cash in our pockets if we all bought our goods online. The shops that help the local ecconomy are the likes of Anderson & Co they export locally manufactured knitwear. The shopkeepers will argue that they pay a lot of rates and wages into the local ecconomy but be under no misunderstanding you the customer pays for all.

I have said this before somewhere but I think it is worth saying again. I went into the Shetland Times Bookshop to order a book. That it was not in stock I was expecting as it was aimed at a limited audience (beer drinkers). What I was not expecting was that they could not order the book "because it was not on the latest computer disc". Might add that I knew the book had been published a few weeks ago.

So I went home intending to go back in a couple of weeks to see if they could order it but more out of curiosity than expectation I looked for the book on-line and discovered that Amazon had the book in stock and were selling it for about a fiver less than my local shop. That was my first purchase from Amazon but it was certainly not my last. And that is why I now shop on-line for most things.

The problems re: the expansion of supermarkets is not unique to Shetland - it is happening all over the UK. I can honestly say that I do have a look around the shops in Lerwick when I need to buy something, but I will also have a look online... and if it is easier and cheaper for me to buy online I will. I can not justify paying double for something. In terms of supporting local businesses, I do my best but I refuse to be ripped off (which seems to be the way with some of the local shops). I also refuse to be told that a packet of custard creams is double the price of a similar shop south because of 'shipping costs'.

I visit the butcher to buy local meat. I only ever buy local bread, Shetland milk and butter too. I do this not because of the price (they are just about the same in cost), but because I believe the quality is much better. Perhaps this is something that commercial street needs to look at.... match the quality of your services to the price of your goods an I am sure that you will not loose customers.

Here's an example of how great the town centre shops are..I bought a camera from a well knows camera shop in the town centre in Lerwick 3 days after i got it the screen packed up so i went back with it i got nothing but cheek from a jumped up little boy about 15 year old who said i must have dropped it which was not the case i asked to speak to the boss and was told he was out so i said i could see him in the back shop when i said that i was told he was to busy to speak so i ended up having to go to the C.A.B. with it once they got there claws into them they backed down the owner .C.H. told me a lie when i picked it up saying it had certainly had a knock and it had cost £75.00 to fix it which they had payed for my hastle ..This was all a load off bull a young lass who was working there at the time told told me afterwards they fujifilm had replaced it at no cost because it was a fault with it from new..Is that how to keep customers i dont think so...Good on you Tesco's go for it and good luck...

Having been up to the Shetland Hamefarin experience, I found Da Street rather empty and not quite the same place as it used to be. Tesco's and the Coop to be fair were very busy, I personaly will not go back to Tesco because when I went they didnt seem to have an "Butter Rolls" which is something I love having when I'm home. That aside, Tesco's stocking other products apart from just groceries, must be a good thing for the general public, less cost, better variety, modern clothes in stock. TV's, I noticed in one retailer at the Toll Clock shopping centre selling the same TV I had bought a short while ago in Kent for a bargain £600 (normal cost £800) the Shetland price was £995.

I think Commercial Street will only survive if it changes to something different, perhaps a historical point of interest, but then the tourist season is so short up there, perhaps its doomed anyway but then that would be a shame for those of us who remember TJ Anderson's, Peter Leasks, etc etc, etc.

After reading some of the quotes here last night i decided to go into a local retailers on the Hillhead to check a few items, cheapest toaster £14.99, cheapest kettle £9.99, cheapest iron £19.99 and cheapest sandwich toaster £15.99, these were all reasonably well known brands.

After reading some of the quotes here last night i decided to go into a local retailers on the Hillhead to check a few items, cheapest toaster £14.99, cheapest kettle £9.99, cheapest iron £19.99 and cheapest sandwich toaster £15.99, these were all reasonably well known brands.

Did you think these were cheap or expensive? You can get an iron in Tesco's for £4.99 but you wouldn't actually want it - last time I bought one it was on a business trip to Cardiff (I have such an exciting life) and I used it for 10 days and left it behind as was flying home.

Maybe their full range is better, but from what few Tesco sold electrical items I've seen, I don't think any toon retailer has too much to worry about. They have all been badged or unbranded extremely bottom end stuff.

It has a place in the market, if folk accept it for what it is. Its functional and adequate for very occasional use when buying a much more expensive branded item can't really be justified, or if you're only going to need it for a short period. I think FilskaDaCat hit it on the head, as a temporary ten day stopgap, its fine, but its not stuff you want to own.

If folk are daft enough to buy it expecting performance and longevity similar to known brands, they're going to be sadly disappointed. As always, you get what you pay for.

Was in Tesco's today, and noticed they were stocking up shelves in the new bit. Although it is cheaply prices, which is a bonus for a couple with a young family, I don't think you can just blame Tesco's. I don't know the last time I bought something electrical from the street. All my shopping for clothes, electricals, cd's, dvd's are bought either on play, amazon, or ebay. Got a microwave the other week, cost my £40 on the internet and the same one is in the Hydro for £65.

If folks want to support the shops at the street then, go for it, no-ones stopping you, everyone has the right to a choice. Please understand that for a family on a budget Tesco's is the better choice.

If folks want to support the shops at the street then, go for it, no-ones stopping you, everyone has the right to a choice. Please understand that for a family on a budget Tesco's is the better choice.

I wholeheartedly agree with this.

Another benefit is the Tesco clubcard scheme which brings further savings. When it was running, the Shetland smartcard wasn't exactly generous in comparison.

All down to choice.