Supermarkets in Shetland - prices, ethics and experiences

breeksy

I noticed the little sign on the shelf, stating as the store has a bulk buy poilcy, 6 items only.

I shop here all the time, but i must say this baffles me. Could this be the policy until they expand the store, so as to not run out of stuff in the run up til xmas, due to problems if the boats don't run due to the weather?

But if you can go through the checkout again and again, would this be the reason?

need to speak to the manager me thinks :wink:

Of course we need a definition of what constitutes 6 items. Is that 6 cans of baked beans or 6 cans of the same make and size of baked beans?. Is that six pot noodles or 6 of one flavour of pot noodle.

And why a bulk buying policy anyway?. Are they afraid of local shopkeepers buying from them instead of Grays?. Ok restrictions on some fresh products might make sense if the ferries are disrupted although if people can simply go round again for another trolley load even that does not make sense.

^^ Even if its cheaper to buy from Tesco than the local wholesaler, why would Tesco wish to curtail that??

They're getting the money the wholesaler would have gotten previously, and I very much doubt Tesco is that much cheaper, that a retailer can buy from them and resell it out again at a all that much lower of a price than previously. The practice would almost certainly make zero, or at most a very minimal difference to the volume of the product Tesco themselves retail to individual personal customers, and their overall sales volume would increase. When you're in the "pile 'em high, and sell 'em cheap" game like Tesco are, sales volume is what its all about, maximum units at fast turnaround taking a small cut on each.

Guest Anonymous

The 6 max rule is so stupid that it proves what I have known since this Praise Tesco thread started:

Tesco really are a bunch of w***ers :wink:

Hate to say it but,,,

I TOLD YOU SO !!

:lol: :lol:

Very strange. If there are a hundred tins of dog food on the shelf they are for sale. Best to take all of the kids with you and get them to buy 6 each and pay each time with a cheque!

I know someone years ago who had a shop and they used to buy sugar from the supermarket to sell in their shop as it was cheaper than the cash and carry were selling it. There were other lines as well, but sugar stood out as I recall.

When you're in the "pile 'em high, and sell 'em cheap" game like Tesco are, sales volume is what its all about, maximum units at fast turnaround taking a small cut on each.

I think it is most likely aimed at increasing the total number of customer visits in order to maximise "near the checkout" impulse buys. Even with budget stores such goods are a vital part of the retail business model. It will also increase the perceived speed of the checkout queues.

It will also reduce "cherry picking" to some extent, your shopping budget will probably not change much, but you might buy a wider range of stuff. If everybody does the same, Tesco are laughing. If it alienates a lot of people, they lose out, but they are taking that chance. Is there any feedback from store management yet?

Guest Anonymous
The 6 max rule is so stupid that it proves what I have known since this Praise Tesco thread started:

Tesco really are a bunch of w***ers :wink:

Hate to say it but,,,

I TOLD YOU SO !!

:lol: :lol:

Ha Ha the old fella still has a feather up his harris.

But, my dear Salmon, even you must admit now that Tesco are showing their true colours.

Absolutely no disrespect intended towards your opinion of them as marketing Gods. But, perhaps it's time to change religion. :wink:

Now, all together....

Let's raise our glasses and propose a toast to Tesco's replacement....

Harry's perhaps... At least he's honest.

And, may your Lord strike me down for saying this, but Chris Hodge is a far more ethical retailer than Tesco has ever been.

:wink: