What were your favourite childhood toys?

From before the computer age to the present day toys have evolved dramatically. Can you remember your favourites from times past? I'll start the ball rolling with a few I remember.

I suppose "weebles" should get the first mention, thinking chronologically.

Fuzzy felts

Slimuc (a plastic tub of slimy green goo that served no apparent purpose).

Evil knievel - remember the wind up stunt bike and rocket bike?

Tin can alley - the prequel to the air rifle.

Astro Wars - classy alien shoot em up.

The good auld widden fishbox hurley - does anybody budder noo?

Although I was never a big fan of the Rubik's cube, I did like the Rubik's snake which could be transformed into a frog, dodgem car, cobra and many other things.

...and how could I forget "Dinky" cars. They could make your pocket money stretch that little bit further than "Matchbox".

Lastly, anything made by "Tonka" although they were never quite as robust as the adverts made them out to be - at least not in the hands of a child (a good substitute fir a hurley though).

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fuzzy felt was fab I could spend ages doing that. I also like board games ooh and connect 4 as well.

Even though I was a lass I loved playing wi cars so that's what me and my brother did half the time.

And marbles down the skirting o the stairs and try and get them in the pot at the bottom.

We also had a bat and ball that we used in the hall.

Guest Anonymous

A Snorie-bene... :D

Christ I'm showing my age now,,, :lol:

Most likely there are one or two her who don't know what that is..

But it was the best toy ever,, :D

Cheers,

Da Auld Een

(And Suddenly Feeling Aulder) :cry:

Guest Anonymous

Is that the same as a Snorie Pirm?

Dunno what a Snorie Pirm is ??

A Snorie-bene was usually made with a bit of wood on the end of a piece of string, when spun round in the air it made some fantastic sounds.. The native Aussies have something similair..

A proper Snorie-bene used a bone instead of wood..

Making the toy was half the fun :D

Cheers,

Da Auld Een

A snori Pirm was made from an old cotton reel, the edges top and bottom were notched, and it was wound up using a bit of stick and an elastic band - a bit like a propellor on a toy aeroplane - it was suspended from a long bit of string and held against a (usualy by hanging out of the upstairs window) downstairs window, where it would make an almighty rattle. I cant remember how it was stopped from unwinding before time, but it was probably by a younger brother or sister being made to hold it!

A proper Snorie-bene used a bone instead of wood..

I had a sheep bone which was a snorie-bene, it had to be a particular bone (dad knew which one) and it made some noise when launched from the sling he made, only problem was finding it.

The sling was good fun too - made from a piece of leather cut from shoes washed up on the beach and pieces of netting twine. You don't get leather shoes on the beach now... After a bit of practice the distance and accuracy fairly improved with the sling.