Kale Casting

piltick

do any bairns still go kell castin or is it? Or is it another Victim to PC crap

I believe it is.

Constable Crap is very strict when it comes to matters of vegetable abuse.

I know, it's terrible! They even take a dim view of major firework assaults nowadays. I reckon that's what's wrong wi' the youth of today: No possibility of urban terrorism!

Still, i uphold the tradition...........and that's all i can reveal about that....ahem. :oops:

• 7 months later...

I felt this needed a thread to itself.

I used to Kale cast many years ago, has this died out?

What are the origins of it?

Is there an underlying occult element to it, or did someone one day just go, mmm, kale - in front doors on halloween = fun!

:)

(***Mod Edit - Merged with existing thread***)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

it a thing traditionally done by kids usually.. where they raid a vegetable crop and well chuck it through the owners door.. or neighbours door or take it home for mum, from what I remember..

A twist on knock door run you could say..

^ further: kell or kale=cabbage, castin'=throwing

hence "cabbage throwing", though the usual weapon of choice was neaps for us(turnips)

Can't say any of my peers took neaps home, but we did sit in plots eating them as well as throwing them, which was ironic as given a cooked neap at home i would turn my nose up at it, but in a field in the dark, man they never tasted so good.:wink:

People take things like this more seriously nowadays, and kids are far too 'cool' to be bothered with it*.

[edit] * apart from out in the westside, it seems! Glad to hear it hellsbells[/edit]

:D I dont tink i'm ever aetin a raw neep inside! Aabody carried a pocketknife too, an da only ane wi ony fear o gettin cut wis yoursel!

Regardin "kids bein too cool", i mind a great fun in da last o my kale castin days wis tae bal particularly guttery wan tae ane o da "new age" anes wha hed gotten dressed up fur da occation. You keen da type, anes dat looks in mirrors. Brilliant fun!

Da auld fok loved it too, givin chase wi da staff pretendin tae be mad but i'm sure dey hed smiles on dir faces. I keen i wid if i got da chance noo (untill da charge fur attemted assault cam through da door, keenin how things is noo!)

Ultimately its da invention o da Yale lock an da carpet dats wis da doonfaa i wid tink.