Ness United & The Southern League

EISTnWAST

Are Ness United a sleeping giant or a joke?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Are Ness United a sleeping giant or a joke?

• Sleeping giant
    • A joke

All the bickering about the SL and Ness is farcical. For years it ran without any problem. Now Ness are in a lull because of a lack of commitment at senior level, excuses are trying to be found elsewhere. Ness will never be successful until they get their house in order.

Maybe I should have added an option to the poll saying "It's all somebody else's fault"

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You make some very valid points EistnWast, but the stark fact is that when the chance was given to have a Southern League this summer in some format, and there were no serious takers, people had some good ideas about playing older players along side juniors so the players who had decided to play Senior football with Ness United and had stated they would not play Southern League could be replaced, when Southend and Cunningsburgh asked round their "older players" if they would be interested there was very little interest in playing even in informal games, though there was more interest from older players in Sandwick.

The whole Southern League, Ness United running together may have worked in the past, but there were some spectacular fall outs and some seriously long term grudges held and it has taken a longtime to get the club to the point where it is now, where its players are comitted to it and not the Southern league sides, on 3 occasions whilst trying to field a team for "southern league" fixtures either friendlies or Cup games this season players have said no im playing for Ness the next day and would not play for us, you could say move the games then but we found that you conflicted with junior games and those players were of the same opinion, the same goes for Sandwicks game against St Andrews from Orkney this past saturday, there were players in the Ness team that declined to play on the Saturday for Sandwick because they were playing Unst away on the Sunday, that hardly shows a lack of effort or commitment. Maybe instead it shows that their priorities have changed.

Im all for having as much football as possible available to as many people but I dont think your idea would work just now, maybe in the future as the Club develops, but just now there is not enough players to field a senior team in the premier league, and 3 south mainland teams in the southern section thats fact and no harping back to the Golden years is going to change that unfortunatley.

The focus is on Ness United, if there was a great desire to keep the southern league going then there would have been more people turn up at the Agm, more people committed to playing saturday night football for their local team, but there was'nt, which I think is a pity because I enjoyed the Southern League. So it may have worked in the past but it wont just now, and to push that structure now when there was no great desire to do so would be folly and to the general detriment of all football in the south Mainland

Well first of all thank you for a measured response (as ever) Penfold. I thought this one may have got a bit more of a rant from you [maybe you're f-ing and blinding privately, but keeping up public appearances :lol: ] , but i'm sure i'll get my laughs from someone else.

I'm not suggesting pushing for a SL. If there's not enough interest, then so be it. But I do find it perplexing that this season from the south mainland, only 1 senior team was fielded. Surely there can't be that much of a dearth of players? The only thing I can think, is it must be a lack of commitment from the standard of players who previously would have played B's.

Attitude must be a real problem. I regularly lined up against a rough and ready(to break your legs :lol: ) Southend full back on a saturday, and lined up with him for the B's on a sunday. Are people really that narrow-minded that they let a game of football dictate their friends and enemies?

It's good to here that commitment is on the increase. But I still doubt if some players would ever be willing to show the commitment needed to win the league. I'm talking about proper training, and maintaining fitness levels. And, perhaps even staying out of the pub the night before a game.

Finally, can anyone tell me who were the last 3 Ness players to represent Shetland & Ness at the same time?

I think the present approach to the Ness side is certainly the way forward. Its good to hear players are prioritising important A fixtures over friendlies (which may seem blatantly obvious to some readers, but its embarrasingly true this is a step forward in terms of attitude!) They should concentrate on getting the senior side established and push that on before thinking about a B side and the southern league. Eistnwast, i do think that there should be enough players to have an established senior side and a southern league in some format for the remaining players in da ness, although as Penfold rightly says thats maybe one for the future.

However, my sources tell me that one of the southern league have hinted they may try and enter the B league or works league. :evil: Somebody please tell me this isn't true. Help me out Penfold....!!!

Finally, can anyone tell me who were the last 3 Ness players to represent Shetland & Ness at the same time?

Referring to your quiz question Eistnwast, Duncan and Ian Bray were in the 2005 Island Games squad and they played for Nesswhitedale that season, does that count?! Before them you would be looking at the early 1990's, Ewan Odie maybe? Although i did see a Shetland team pic in da times a few weeks back fae 1995 or 96 and it had a guy with a Cunningsburgh sounding name in it although i can't remember wha it wis!!

Help me out Penfold......!!!

Its not Southend utd, the Cunningsburgh players did flirt with the idea when they were aware that there was no Southern league this summer, though they never did anything more than speak about it, Sandwick Im not sure about, they may be speaking about it, though i've not heard that, but I would very much doubt they would be allowed to enter the B league given the hoo-ha over Clubs with single teams not being allowed to enter, so possibly the works league? but again they would need to play all their games in the town probably as the works league has'nt played any league games outside of the town since the days of SAGA, and the exception of maybe using the Cunningsburgh pitch when the town pitches are shut to get fixtures cleared.

The problem of no regular football for the Southern league teams of Cunningsburgh, Sandwick and Southend Utd is that it affects their Parish cup performances and all three clubs have felt that this year.

As for Ness United as a Club its seeking to move in the right direction, It is looking to improve the range of services it offers to the local area, it is sending representatives to the SFA meeting on the 21st of sept on the SFA quality mark scheme for clubs, to see where it can improve and what is on offer regards coaching and player development, it also is looking at working along side the local primary Schools in the South Mainland to make sure it reaches as many people as possible. It is in the process of forming a B squad and is going round players past and present to see if they will play. Also it is looking at how to keep the large numbers of players who they see at junior levels especially under 8's through to under 12's in the game past these ages. They are looking to form a womens team for next year, and as for the seniors they have fitness training booked for through out the winter and also a 5-a-side competition running though-out the winter, now if the present crop of Seniors fail to improve on the targets they have been set then it is a lack of effort on their part and not the clubs.

Well, the thought of Davie Beaver, Peter Beaver or any bloody Beaver holding up a Southern League Trophy should put you off the idea for life!!

Seriously, if players are prioritising Ness ahead of playing in the Southern League then that can only be a good thing. Penfold is right, the older generation has serious grudges against each other. The problem is that the older guys get into the younger guys heads and screw them up. The last thing Ness need is a changing room with cunningsburgh guys in one corner, sandwick guys in another corner not talking.

The future plan should be: 2008 Establish a strong Ness side in the A league with possibly a B league team, 2009 Esablish a strong Ness side in the A and B league. 2010 If there are older guys and younger guys willing to play in the Southern League then go for it. I think we should leave the Southern League for two year 2-3 years.

Just to confirm it was Cunningsburgh who thought of the idea. It was the Adamson clan from Cunningsburgh. Wait a minute......Billy, Malcolm, Ewen, Liam, Ali and Andrew, they would make a good 5-side team!

Ballack, how did du manage tae vote "A joke' 3 times? :P

I wasna wanting to vex d, just incase we need d to play neest year :lol:

Weel I doubt i'll be back in Shetland for ony length o time neest year. Unless I get fired, which efter today's events at wark might joost happen :( Why is dere nae greety groot smiley? Sorry, going aff topic here.

Da quiz question still stands. SOOTHnWAST doesna coont, so da Bray's are ruled oot (i'm ruling oot Douglas here as weel). I t'ink dat Derek Duncan might hiv been in a squad at some point, before da squads included 83 players. Pretty sure he didna actually play, but dat's da closest i can mind in recent memory. Maybe we hiv tae go back tae Peter Keenan in da nineties, but dis i whar I start getting confused as tae whit club dey wir actually at whan dey won a Shetland 'cap'. I don't t'ink dat Kenny Malcolmson played fur Shetland efter he left Spurs. So wi're looking tae some aulder eens tae confirm Ewan Odie, an' come up wi (maybe) twa mare. Yun fellow dat Stoichkov is on aboot moast be Robert Adamson dat played fur Thistle?

the older generation has serious grudges against each other. The problem is that the older guys get into the younger guys heads and screw them up.

There are definite parallels to be drawn here with the Unst/Yell/Northern Rovers situation - But let's not even contemplate starting all that again (especially on a "Soothend" thread!). Sufficed to say - It won't happen.

Interesting to hear about the challenges faced by football clubs at the other end of the isles.

It soonds lik brain-washing tae me. So it haes tae be yun bible-bashing Cungels dat are dat root o da problem :twisted:

It's good tae here dat Ness have got da juvenille fitba in order. But unfortunately it'll tak a lang time tae filter dat through tae da seniors. Unless something is already been done tae sort dem oot?

Very large catchment area, they should be able to sustain teams at all levels with ongoing organisation.

I agree Wheesht. But the problem lies within what you said. Organisation :roll:

This has been a problem for so many years, that it will take many years for Ness to recover. If I believe some of the stories I hear (which i'm very sceptical about), then the organistation is now almost perfect. In fact some would say it's been that way for a couple of years. So by my calculations :idea: :? 9 years of poor organistaion - 2 years of good organisation = 7 more years befor Ness can challange for the title. :lol:

You read it first here folks, get your life savings on an each-way bet (top 2) for Ness in 2014 :?

Or a double, Ness to win the league and England win the world cup that year. Just like 1966!!! :lol:

Sorry penfold. Just did my calculations again and realised it's destiny. 2014 has to be the year as it's world cup year :P

I don't like to attack individuals on an anonymous forum, but for starters, the so called 'dream team' of a few years ago, who recently graduated from university. Can those guys get their attitude sorted and have the desire to fulfill their potential? They would be about 30 in 2014, and key players in the championship success.

For fopp's sake min im just laid da bet on at Billy hills for 2015!!!!.

All the players have been told whats required of them and there will be nowhere to hide for them next year, the manager stuck in a serious amount of effort this year, and has told the squad what it is they have to do for next season if they want to be sure of a place in the A squad, if not then its the B's for them, no room for excuse's this time about the organisation or opportunity not being there, just hard work and commitment, and if they don't make it, then its themselves they have to blame, not the club and not the manager.

The days of players living on past glories be it members of the "dream team" you mentioned or the players behind them are coming hopefully to an end, there is no room for any billy big boots in the squad, though we could do with a old fashioned centre-forward if you ken o any :lol: