Ness United & The Southern League

EISTnWAST

Are Ness United a sleeping giant or a joke?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Are Ness United a sleeping giant or a joke?

• Sleeping giant
    • A joke

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well billy's I dont ken if there's much more to be said is der?

The history has been discussed, the socio-economics and how they affect the demi-graphic curve vis-a-vis the as to be seen latent talent the club has at its disposal, the top to bottom organogram and developmental flow chart have all been discussed in depth, and EistnWast's very well tought out poll question has been in the whole a positive endorsement of the clubs 10 year plan and all we need to do now, is to convince Ballack that his future lie's back on the bonnie isle making that late signature run from midfield to shoot from 18yrds that made him the first name on the Cunningsburgh team sheet, and a regular starter for Ness, the one thing we are as a club vexed over is we have been unable to help Wheest of da fence cos it must be sair sitting up yunder for so long :)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

If there was a league table for football writing, Ness would run away with the title.

Quiz question

Peter Keenan looks to be confirmed as one. Surely we don't have to look back another 20 or 30 years to find the other two?

What is going on :o ? Why is there no arguments, debates or bickering going on :lol: ?

Qiuz question time.

Which Southend player holds the record for most goals scored against Cunningsburgh in one game?

Who is the toughest/hardest player to play in the Southern League?

1.Davie Watt

2.Andrew Swannie

3.Iain "pundie" Smith

4.Kevin "flea" Duncan

5.Michael Black

6.Others

I'm afraid i don't have my Rothman's statistical guide to the Southern league to hand but i'll go with Jim Goudie and Colin Bragg both with 7 goals for d quiz question.

As for your poll, I can't really pick one out. What about the Ian, Andrew or Brian 'Bletty'? I heard they were quite physical opponents back in da day, one ex-player said u felt lik ud been run ower wi a tractor after a game against one o those guys :shock:

Not bored penfold, just die-hard Ness fanatics.

Before I give my thoughts on Ballack's question, I must point something out to him. It's all your fault Ballack. You are the ringleader when it comes to arguments. Your absence has caused unforeseen harmony to creep into this thread. Don't be a stranger.

I think Mr Duncan has a case for taking the honours. He is the only one on the list who booted players into the air indiscriminately. Whether it be a seasoned veteran, or a 14 year old child, his first thought was always to show them who was boss. The one flaw in this player from the Southern League Hall of Fame, was when he committed himself too early, and missed his opponents ankle. On the (not very) rare occasions when this happened, it could leave his sides defence stretched.

He rightfully took his place in the SLHF because of his take no prisoners, never say die, always say f**k f**k f**king attitude.

© Southern League Hall of Fame

Further player profiles available on request.

I think if you look further back in history, you can find some better exponents of the man-and-ball tackle.

Going back to the Ness county players question, I had a thought. Did Duncan Bray not come back from America one summer, play a couple of games for Ness, and become a late addition to the squad to play Orkney? Possibly 2004, but not 100% sure what version of Ness it was.

I think one of the answers to EISTnWAST's quiz question must be myself.

At senior level I've never played for any club other than Ness United....therefore I'd be classified a Ness player.

And I played in the 20-14 victory over Orkney in the 2001 senior inter-county.

So that's Peter Keenan, Duncan Bray(when he came back for a fortnight) and me.

Next question please.

I think it's a shame the Southern League isn't played in some capacity anymore... thing was, it didn't seem to go downhill gradually. One year it seemed to be doing fine and then the next it had disintergrated. I actually don't think it helps Ness United as a whole having no Southern League in any form, especially with there being no B team... but I have no idea on the ins and outs of it all.

Anyway, I think Ness are gradually moving in the right direction... especially if the young guys who they have in the team now are still there and have improved in five years time.

I think Mr Duncan has a case for taking the honours.

I dinna ken wha du is, therefore dy age so I'll give dee da benefit o da doot.

Comparing the aforesaid Mr Duncan with a real hard player like Andrew Manson is an exercise in complete futility.

Andrew Manson, in his day, wouldn't even have bothered with the likes of KF. He took out the real so-called hard men.

Andrew's greatest skill was in doing so fairly. He was such a good tackler, with such an exquisite sense of timing that he didn't need to foul anyone. If he thought their behaviour warranted it he didn't hold back though.

I remember him being kicked deliberately by one of Shetland's so-called hard men. Andrew looked the culprit up and down with complete disdain, then kicked him in the air.

Flea senior sent them both off :lol:

To summarise, had Andrew Manson been playing against KF, KF would have appeared to be as hard and menacing as Graham Norton.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ness could do with a physical player like that in the current team. I did say though.......

I think if you look further back in history, you can find some better exponents of the man-and-ball tackle.

Du's right dB, it's afore my time. I did hear dat Iain Henderson wis also quite fierce in his playing days, but Jackie pit a stop tae him playing, 'cus dir wir alot o injuries gyan aboot at dat time. Ony idder stories du can t'ink o fae afore wis young eens wir aboot wid be muckle apperciated.

MiM...... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

I'm affraid I have to rule you out as well. We're talking about Association football here :wink:

But anyway, are you confirming that D.Bray played for the real deal Ness team, in the circumstances i mentioned?

I dont know I always found if I kicked flea back as hard as he kicked you, he would look for someone else to kick, didnt seem to be so up for it when he realised you wern't intimidated.

Absolutely disgraceful behaviour penfold :evil:

Consider yourself lucky you didn't find yourself issued with a red card :!:

For any children reading, please realise Mr Penfold has had one too many alcoholic beverages, because it's friday night. He does not condone this sort of retaliatory action from any Ness United, or Southern League player.

(Even if we do all know he's right :lol: )

MiM...... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

I'm affraid I have to rule you out as well. We're talking about Association football here :wink:

But anyway, are you confirming that D.Bray played for the real deal Ness team, in the circumstances i mentioned?

Dat's right...shift da goalposts !!!!

No idea aboot Duncan - just takin a leaf fae da Weegia booklet on say-something-often-enough-and-eventually-it'll-be-believed.

Going back to the Ness county players question, I had a thought. Did Duncan Bray not come back from America one summer, play a couple of games for Ness, and become a late addition to the squad to play Orkney? Possibly 2004, but not 100% sure what version of Ness it was.

Yes that is true EISTnWAST, he played a couple of games for Ness then got into the county squad at the last minute because of injury. Although Shetland lost the game 5-4 i believe he was very instrumental in the comeback effort.

So technically yes, a Ness player has played for Shetland in the past 5 years!