Ness United & The Southern League

EISTnWAST

Are Ness United a sleeping giant or a joke?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Are Ness United a sleeping giant or a joke?

• Sleeping giant
    • A joke

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets be sensible on this forum. Ness United and the Sothern League is the most important issue on Shetlink.

I think the 7 A SIDE idea sounds good.

However, i don't think it should be up to the Ness B and Ness A mangers to run it. I think it should be someone outwith the Ness management/coaching set-up. It can't be that hard to run if all the teams stick to the rules! What do they specifically have to organise?, can't be too much. I know one man from Cunninghsburgh who might volunteer to run it. He usually comes out of hibernation around spring when the clocks go forward for British summer time.

I know one man from Cunninghsburgh who might volunteer to run it. He usually comes out of hibernation around spring when the clocks go forward for British summer time.

I know him too signed for the B team yesterday :lol:

It was not gibberish it was factual :( :( :cry: :cry:. Gibberish always always gets posted here by Stoichkov and EistnWast.

No way, :shock: :shock: :shock: I hope that is true because he plays like John Terry when he is on form but John Terry can't do his drag backs or cruyff turns :wink: .

The only thing I enjoy more on Shetlink than people having a go at Ballack, is when Ballack loses his temper. I wish we could have a Ballack-cam to see his reaction when he's reading this.

I don't like to go back on topic like this, but I probably should. I agree with most of what Ballack said about the 7-a-side competition, apart from when he said

I think it's a decent idea, but one major problem has been overlooked.

the competiton would be open to teams outwith the traditional clubs e.g Burra, Southend, Sandwick, and Cunningsburgh Fc as long as they meet the league entry requirement that players must reside in the league area.

I seem to recall F&J entering the Sandwick 5-a-side competition for the James Halcrow Memorial Cup, with a team which didn't exactly fit most people's idea of the spirit of the competition. I'm not saying F&J employed people on the basis of their ability to help them win a football competition. I am however saying that some of their players should have been playing for other teams in that competition.

I'm sure it won't take long before a few people get together and create a team, which for arguments sake we'll call 'The Ringers'. I think it will only work if people play for their home team. So lets have:-

Sandwick Social Club Revellers

Roosty's Van VII

Sandwick's Former Heroes (otherwise known as the back in the day brigade)

Sumburgh Hotel Hardmen

Boddam's Square Goalposts

Ness Boating Club Showboaters

Southend Potato Farmers

Cunningsburgh Christians

Cunningsburgh Alcoholics

Burra Leather Jackets

Burra's Scalloway Residents

Burra ............. (insert own sheep related gag)

Obviously there wouldn't be a way to qualify to play for a particular team (i.e owning a leather jacket or being an alcoholic), but all players in a team should come from the same village.

I also need to say I am very disappointed that we got moderated :cry: :cry: :cry:

For those who missed it, Ballack said that EistnWast & Captain Tibbs are the greatest players he has ever seen. He also said that he would buy them a case of lager if even one of them allowed him the privilege of competing on the same pitch as them again

Sandwick Social Club Revellers

Roosty's Van VII

Sandwick's Former Heroes (otherwise known as the back in the day brigade)

Sumburgh Hotel Hardmen

Boddam's Square Goalposts

Ness Boating Club Showboaters

Southend Potato Farmers

Cunningsburgh Christians

Cunningsburgh Alcoholics

Burra Leather Jackets

Burra's Scalloway Residents

Burra ............. (insert own sheep related gag)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Let's have the names MiM. It would be interesting to be able to judge the standard of the teams interested in playing SL7's.

What I'm saying about players coming from their village could obviously be flexible. The most important thing is participation. It wouldn't be worth running the thing if Cunnigsburgh couldn't field a team because their best players joined a far superior side such as Bigton.

The only thing I enjoy more on Shetlink than people having a go at Ballack, is when Ballack loses his temper. I wish we could have a Ballack-cam to see his reaction when he's reading this.

I don't like to go back on topic like this, but I probably should. I agree with most of what Ballack said about the 7-a-side competition, apart from when

I also need to say I am very disappointed that we got moderated :cry: :cry: :cry:

For those who missed it, Ballack said that EistnWast & Captain Tibbs are the greatest players he has ever seen. He also said that he would buy them a case of lager if even one of them allowed him the privilege of competing on the same pitch as them again

@EistnWast. I am cool, calm and collected all the time. I don't have a webcam because they are for old men. I think my role on shetlink is more the Voice Of Reason than anything else. I've never lost my temper in my life but there was one occasion where "pistol p" beaver got a hat-trick v Cunningsburgh :evil: :evil: :evil: Yes, that is right you two are still the greatest players i've ever seen. For those of you who never saw them it was like watching "total football".

Why don't we get a shetlink team. Penfold would be our over 35 player obviously! I will have to ask my manager of the Cunningsburgh Christians if i can get a transfer.

• 2 weeks later...

The southern league now has a website the address is www.leaguewebsite.co.uk/slfa

Southern League Football Association 7-a-side league.

The Association are looking to run a 7-a-side league over the summer from May through to the end of August. the games will take place on Saturday night and start @ 6.30pm.

The competition is open to the traditional four teams in the southern league, Burra, Cunningsburgh, Sandwick and Southend United as well as teams from workplaces or the like, as long as the players meet the requirments of the league eligibilty rules e.g. they must reside in the south mainland or qualifiy through their eligability to play in the parish cup for the four traditional teams mentioned previously.

It is also designed to cater for players in the area who are not playing senior football in the works league or SFA competitions, where there are any doubts on a players suitability for the competition it will be agreed between the team managers, and the final say will be at the discretion of the Ness United A team manager.

The John Irvine Memorial Cup will be awarded to the winning team.