The Queen's English

breeksy

It's just something you shouldn't really do, publish/forward private emails without the author's permission. I was thinking of it more from the netiquette/moral side of things > but, turns out there's the legal side of it too. The author owns the copyright of the work < in this case email>.

"..think before forwarding something by email – you might just be breaching the author’s copyright if you do."

http://www.crdlaw.co.uk/site/library/infotech/email_who_owns_the_copyright.html

"If the message was a personal message to you and you are sending it on, you should ask the author's permission first."

http://www.blackwidows.org.uk/clients/imp-guide/email/enetiquette.html

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"..think before forwarding something by email – you might just be breaching the author’s copyright if you do."

You are right in case of forwarding .

This was a case of making public what was discussed in public including a published e-mail reference.

The difference might be an interesting subject for solicitors and judges but a (lengthly or full) quote is not forbidden - at least not under European law.

Someone displaying a private opinion in public and allowing to publish the e-mail-add in clear text should be aware that

i) there will be answers and that

ii) this answers will be discussed in public

iii) not neccessarily using the same medium of publishing.

Personally spoken, I do think that Mrs Whatsoever should be happy that the whole thingy was discussed within this forum and only here.

The same matter discussed as an exchange of "Letters to the editor" on the Shetland News website might probably have attracted other interests ... :roll: ... just thinking about British tabloids ... ;-)

Interesting post, islandhopper.

This was a case of making public what was discussed in public including a published e-mail reference.

The difference might be an interesting subject for solicitors and judges but a (lengthly or full) quote is not forbidden - at least not under European law.

I don't quite agree with the first point. This was a "private exchange". It wasn't an "email reference" but a case of publishing the exchange pretty well in its entirety. As I said before, for all I know, perhaps Mrs Diddleysquat gave her permission for the exchange to be made public.

Someone displaying a private opinion in public and allowing to publish the e-mail-add in clear text should be aware that

i) there will be answers and that

ii) this answers will be discussed in public

iii) not neccessarily using the same medium of publishing.

By posting her opinions in a public place she is of course inviting comment. There's absolutely nothing wrong for there to be a public exchange of comments on the subject , whether that be on Shetland News or another place such as this. However, as a result of a public comment , a private exchange ensued. This private exchange was then published by one of the parties, presumably without the other's person's permission.

, different to the original place of posting, so we can't even be sure Mrs Thingy knows it exists/frequents it.>

The moot point is regarding publishing private emails without the owner's consent. According to sheepshagger's post, there may now be precedents set about publishing private emails, however, even as a point of honour/integrity my personal opinion is that it isn't a good thing. Would you like your private email conversations to be made public without your knowledge? Apart from the legal side, copyright, etc, it's a basic tenet that private emails shouldn't be made public without the owner's pemission - a case of respecting the author's rights.

Personally spoken, I do think that Mrs Whatsoever should be happy that the whole thingy was discussed within this forum and only here. The same matter discussed as an exchange of "Letters to the editor" on the Shetland News website might probably have attracted other interests ... :roll: ... just thinking about British tabloids ... ;-)

Ha, don't be fooled into thinking that any public forum is safe from the media. I was sitting on a bus in Glasgow once and spotted headlines in the Sun which a bloke on the bus was reading. The article in most of the papers contained references to and sometimes quotes from our own little backwater of a forum. This was in most of the national UK newspapers, so don't think that what you say here or anywhere else in public for that matter is 'just between us'! You never know who may be reading and who may tip off the papers..

The annoying thing is that the media can sometimes be quite sloppy with quotes and their inferences. The papers sometimes referred to how 'locals were of the opinion' etc etc, when really posts on a forum are merely a collection of views by individual posters - they can't be taken necessarily as indicative of a whole area's viewpoint. You could have whole swathes of people in an area who may have different views but never use a computer.

• 4 weeks later...

I really could not believe it when I read this remark concerning the "Queens English" to be used. God almighty, I live in England, and sometimes I cry out for the Queens English to be spoken, but then very few do, its a cross between Eastenders and Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins. But then again, I am in England, if I go back home to Shetland all I want to here is a good Shetland Dialect being used by adults and children both, but I notice less and less everytime I go home. It tends to be a Scottish accent I hear these days.

When we were at school up at Bells Brae we were told we had to speak english in class, but could speak Shetland in the playground. This gave us the ability to communicate with the outside world once we were in it.

BUT at home I think we should ensure the dialect is used as much as possible. When I go to Spain, I expect to hear Spanish!

You know what they say, a language is a dialect with an army and navy.

Time to get a few guns and torpedo tubes mounted on the council ferry fleet, and arm the road men with rifles as well as shovels then. :twisted:

[Edit] On the other had I'm not sure it would be wise to have the council in charge of enough explosives that they could blow their nose with, let alone more. :?

• 6 months later...

My goodness. How amazing. Wonder if he realises what his wife gets up to at her keyboard?

Mindful of Fifi's remarks I kept quiet about the fact that I had two more e-mails from the lady in question – one in February and one in March. The March one was simply the Lord's Prayer with some rather odd spelling for Shetland - as follows:

O Loard - Wir Father Up Abon

Wha med de Airt, Starns, Sun and Mon

Blist Be your Nem.

If wid do joost whit You say

Heevin on Airt is whit we'd hae,

Keep wiz wi a scar a maet

An led wiz doon dat nairro gaet.

Forgie wiz fur de wrangs we do

An we'll emm trow life te folow You.

Loard - We hae dat mony faats

Keep wiz fae de Deevil's clachts.

Tae You aa Glory we will gie

Fae noo richt trow Eternity.

Amen.

The previous one in February perplexes me altogether - I think it might be rude but I couldn’t manage to work it out. Any suggestions? I completely ignored both of them. The title of the e-mail which brought this one was NOOTSTOOTS:

• W H H O O O A A A RU R R R R RB A A A G

• N O O A A R R G G R U G G RUGGE R R R R R

• P R R R R M O O O S T T O O O T S

Guest posiedon
Wheesht

The Queens English but her family are German and her husband is a Greek.

A general misconception, actualy they are both German (who won the war?)

He was originally a royal Prince of Greece and Denmark, but he renounced these titles shortly before his marriage to Lizzy.

When he became a British subject, Prince Philip took the surname Mountbatten, an anglicised version of his mother's German family name, Battenberg.

What came first, the dook or the cake? :lol: