Driving whilst using mobile phones

lambie

........, but idoits who are too selfish to keep their attention on the road... well I wish that phoning up the police with their registration was enough.

these crimes MUST be reported to make the Stats. Once they are at a sufficient numbers the selfish toss pots can be caught. It would be the only way really to highlight the problem. Your Councillors and MSP/MP/MEP can make a representation as well if approached.

So when you use your mobile phone as a pedestrian, to report the selfish cow you almost hit you and you're told there's nothing they can do as it's your word against those in the car.

It is not initially about getting the driver you report caught but as highlighted, it is about getting the numbers up for someone who can do something do something.

If there are two of you, still the same. There is no need to use the phone when you are driving.

Pleepsie, what does this statement you posted mean.

While driving, you must not use your hand-held mobile phone, smartphone or PDA:

•to make or receive calls

•to send or receive picture and text messages

•to access the internet

•when you're stopped at traffic lights

•when you're queuing in traffic

and

It is illegal to drive a vehicle or ride a motorcycle while using a hand-held mobile phone. This also applies to any similar device (that must be held at some point) to:

•send or receive spoken or written messages or still or moving images

•access the internet

These devices include smartphones or Personal Digital Assistants (PDAs).

Are you splitting hairs about how the phone is used?

The way this reads would mean that you cannot use the phone as all phones have to be held at some point, now that is me splitting hairs.

There is some sound advice here

The Automobile Association have some advice too.

and some research

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im sure some will be delighted to know, i programmed my iphone to my rangerover bluetooth today.

works fab, sits nicely in its little cradle (which will keep shetlandpeat happy) right above the fridge between the heated leather seats with armrests, all the controls are on wheel and the details come up on the television in the dash.

sound quality is sublime through the harmon kardon 14 speaker system and with the rangerover being as quiet as a car can be it was a delight to chat away all day long.

happy?

Ecstatic, the power of Shetlink prevails again. Let's just hope there is a fair sized drain plug in the floor pan of your 4x4....

Pleepsie, what does this statement you posted mean.

While driving, you must not use your hand-held mobile phone, smartphone or PDA:

•to make or receive calls

•to send or receive picture and text messages

•to access the internet

•when you're stopped at traffic lights

•when you're queuing in traffic

and

It is illegal to drive a vehicle or ride a motorcycle while using a hand-held mobile phone. This also applies to any similar device (that must be held at some point) to:

•send or receive spoken or written messages or still or moving images

•access the internet

These devices include smartphones or Personal Digital Assistants (PDAs).

Are you splitting hairs about how the phone is used?

The way this reads would mean that you cannot use the phone as all phones have to be held at some point, now that is me splitting hairs.

There is some sound advice here

The Automobile Association have some advice too.

and some research

It is a quote from the government website covering driving laws. I thought it was self explanatory. But as you seem to need it explained to you, it means you must not HOLD your phone whilst driving or waiting at lights or in a traffic jam. If you require any further explanation please do not hesitate to ask me :)

Still, a distraction arguing the finer point yet using a phone is dangerous in a vehicle.

Just though of an amusing thing, my friend holds a gun license but never has it on him.

Could you have it on the seat and press the buttons? I found a better explanation, so in a way, yes you are right but every safety expert sez it is dangerous and could still lead to a fine. If an Officer thinks you have been distracted using the phone (and you will have been) you are breaking the law in his eyes. A grey area, but the sensible person should be mindful of this and put his/her phone out of use.

You could try this

http://think.direct.gov.uk/drivingchallenge/index.html

Guest posiedon
shetlandpeat

Could you have it on the seat and press the buttons? I found a better explanation, so in a way, yes you are right but every safety expert sez it is dangerous and could still lead to a fine.

Citation please for the bolded text, thanks.

Or in other words.

Stop making stuff up, or you'll get pulled on it,

Savvy?

Guest Anonymous

Thought you would all like to know that this morning while I was driving through Lerwick I passed our very 'Sheriff' Napier with his hand pressed firmly to his ear!..

Not only was I shocked http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-shocked007.gif at what I saw, But also shocked :shock: that my first thought was of this thread in the Shetlink forum.. http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-sad056.gif

On closer inspection, It appeared that Mr Napier had only his hand pressed to his ear..

Which I suppose would be obvious in his very expensive/hands free fitted car, really. http://www.forumsextreme.com/images/sEm_blush.gif

shetlandpeat

Could you have it on the seat and press the buttons? I found a better explanation, so in a way, yes you are right but every safety expert sez it is dangerous and could still lead to a fine.

Citation please for the bolded text, thanks.

Or in other words.

Stop making stuff up, or you'll get pulled on it,

Savvy?

Ahh, Shetlink Spelling PCSO, I am in awe.

Ok, this may take a few years to find all the experts around the globe.

Abstract:

Objective: This study investigated the effect of a nondriving cognitively loading task on the relationship between

http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/hfes/hf/2009/00000051/00000003/art00001

New research shows that people have greater difficultly maintaining a fixed speed, or keeping their car safe in a single lane when performing tasks Applied Cognitive Psychology.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/29773.php

Mr Alexander said: "Research shows that talking on a mobile phone while driving affects your concentration and ability to react to dangerous situations.

"It's quite simple - it's impossible to do two things at once and do them well.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6287005.stm

I will post the other 50 tomorrow.

It is rather a stuped thing to ask for, shows that you cannot find an expert who has said their is no danger posed by driving and ussin a moble fone.

If I wanted to be pulled, there are far better folk than yourself.

Savvy wot (knees trembling(NOPE))

Actually, this is an edit, go find it yourself..

I would remind you of a post made by McFly in a very early part of the Shetlink postings.

SP there is (was) only one "expert" on the subject that matters (mattered)in these climes. See my post above. Thankfully his (her) judgement on piffle like this (that) matters not a jot. But good luck in your (our) search for the options.

Guest Anonymous

It is rather a stuped thing to ask for, shows that you cannot find an expert who has said their is no danger posed by driving and ussin a moble fone.

Ahh, Shetlink Spelling PCSO, I am in awe.

:?

Ah, the first quote was a deliberate inclusion.

"Bolded" is not in the dictionary I used, and is a term from the internet. That is, internet slang. Something the poster had previously commented against others using such slang. There is already a verb to describe boldface text.

Though I do understand the posters sentiment and his embolden stance on the subject, it needs to be done in a more productive way than with insults as previously witnessed in other areas on this forum.

I am not going to post the other "experts" because there is no need. Anyone with a minimal amount of savvy would understand that driving with any distraction is a formula for danger.

Folk will evaluate risks, and do so at all times. When evidence, which is quite searchable, throughout the world shows that in the case of mobile phones and the like the risk is too high and has been compared by some to the equivalent of the dangers of driving with some alcohol (that too is searchable) in the system, the self control has to be bolstered with laws to protect others from the poor risk assessments of the driver.