SIBC's reason for not playing certain local bands.

BigMick

Hi all,

I thought I'd transcribe a message from SIBC as to why they won't play certain local bands. I find it quite insulting, after all some of the bands/people mentioned have had airplay on radio 1, whom frankly have more idea. Not to mention the national music press who have given Bacchus 7/10 and Ten Tonne Dozer 8/10.

Oh, and see if anyone else can spot the contradictions in what he's saying. If they'd said "we ain't playing you 'cos yer crap", that's fair enough, but to presume to lecture us on where we're going wrong...

I'll write more later about this. I'd like to hear other views first.

------| QUOTE |----------

"Hi,

Thank you for the oportunity to listen to Bacchus and Ten Tonne Dozer.

Some years ago when Paul Johnson of Rock Salt and Nails came to us and professed a hankering to having a hit single, we warned him that his wish would ruin his credibility with the folk circuit where hits are seen as selling out.

The same applies to most niche music, where fans equate hits with pop and junk. Bacchus and Ten Tonne Dozer seem pretty uncompromising and I'm sure that their fans would not like that to change.

The main problem and radio station would have with Bacchus is going through all the tracks for the "f" and other taboo words. Those occurred in three of the four tracks we listened to and they could be in all of them. We just do not have the time to check every record we get - we have accept the assurances of record companies.

The musicianship on Bacchus is fine, but we would be looking for some more action along the top line, that is a tune, for a singer of this style. These tracks are a few years old, and since then "punk" has moved on considerably, it has acquired a new sound eg the likes of +44. We would like to hear something new from Bacchus. A common problem with local bands is to produce something of interest and then nothing. Of the top 56 songs we are playing, all but 3 are from 2008 (and those three were from December 2007).

With TTD were [sic] hearing lots of influences. Musicianship is fine yet again, but the singing style tends to be niche, yet again. This has been the case with lots of heavier bands in recent years, the instruments are fine but the voice makes airplay difficult. For instance, we always try to play Linkin Park on full rotation here, and most songs sounds great on air, but sometimes we can't with the screaming just too much for most listeners.

The game of music, like that of radio is really tough. We have been in this business for forty years now and after all that time we have become cautious about encouraging people in such a career. If they want to go down that road their own passion will take them there. But for every success there are a thousand failures, and the price for some is high. We would not want to be party to such a price.

If your bands are really serious about getting played on the radio, any radio, they must produce the goods. If they are prepared to adapt, good and well, and if they are not, that is their choice. We always give local bands a massive benefit of the doubt - many have got airplay on SIBC with songs that we would have dismissed from famous names.

We want to hear new songs from these guys, not something from three years ago. Things have moved on since then and new music sounds completely differend, as it should.

All the best, and good luck,

Cheers

Ian and Inga

SIBC"

------| END QUOTE |----------

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if i would worry about not getting any airplay on SIBC, it has got to be the worst radio station i have ever heard.

That guy who reads the news is a complete joke and he is absolutely hopeless. He would have been sacked years ago if he didn't own the place.

For instance, we always try to play Linkin Park on full rotation here, and most songs sounds great on air, but sometimes we can't with the screaming just too much for most listeners.

Fair enough, it might be a bit much for some on a listeners on a Monday morning, but i doubt if many would complain on a Friday or Saturday night.

Haha, i would like to hear what they say about my band :D

"Whit is yun rackit, a wee lass havin a doon right scream?!"

I can understand the need for no F words but im sure people can do something about that. This annoys me.

But i think your first port of call is Kerrang radio and skuzz.. much better places to have your music than Sibc (insert nice play on lettering here). i still understand the principle of it all though.

He is a decent bloke running a station which has to have a playlist which is basically 'middle of the road' in order to appeal to mainstream as much as possible so that he can sell adverts...he does play some alt stuff but probably thinks TTD and Bacchus stuff is a bit too alt for his listeners.

I've spoken to Ian a number of times and he can be a bit 'different' in his take on things....I am sure he meant the correspondence as encouragement....if the tracks are three years old he maybe has a point....

Mick, I think you're fairly right in presuming that what he is actually saying is that he does not like the tracks therefore he's not going to play them....he's a polite bloke and would probably avoid saying anything which he thought might offend....but its not just metal/punk stuff he has chosen not to play. We recorded and released Ellie Mulhern's ep and although it got a fair bit of local praise and daytime airplay on Radio Scotland...SIBC chose not to play it....fine by me.

What you could do as a constructive response, is ask him if there was any possibility of programming and hour or so of alt music in the evening (and advertise it)....that way he would probably boost his listeners at night when the mainstream audience has switched off....and it would give bands like Bacchus and TTD some airplay.

These tracks are a few years old, and since then "punk" has moved on considerably, it has acquired a new sound eg the likes of +44. We would like to hear something new from Bacchus. A common problem with local bands is to produce something of interest and then nothing.

+44 and punk in the same sentence should never have existed. :but to my knowledge +44 have never sold themselves as being punk.

I think they're crap though.

Bacchus - 'You're crazy' has no "taboo" words in it.

Rejection of the mainstream/nonconformity is a part of the punk ethic.

But they should be pushing local music.

I'm not disputing the middle of the road playlist, or any of the rest of that. Its the condescending response that really winds me up. The presumption to tell us where we're going wrong. A simple no would have sufficed.

As regards the hour of alternative music in the evening, people have asked this before. The answer has always been no.

--

Mick

He is a decent bloke running a station which has to have a playlist which is basically 'middle of the road' in order to appeal to mainstream as much as possible so that he can sell adverts...he does play some alt stuff but probably thinks TTD and Bacchus stuff is a bit too alt for his listeners.

I've spoken to Ian a number of times and he can be a bit 'different' in his take on things....I am sure he meant the correspondence as encouragement....if the tracks are three years old he maybe has a point....

Mick, I think you're fairly right in presuming that what he is actually saying is that he does not like the tracks therefore he's not going to play them....he's a polite bloke and would probably avoid saying anything which he thought might offend....but its not just metal/punk stuff he has chosen not to play. We recorded and released Ellie Mulhern's ep and although it got a fair bit of local praise and daytime airplay on Radio Scotland...SIBC chose not to play it....fine by me.

What you could do as a constructive response, is ask him if there was any possibility of programming and hour or so of alt music in the evening (and advertise it)....that way he would probably boost his listeners at night when the mainstream audience has switched off....and it would give bands like Bacchus and TTD some airplay.

You're right, of course, poorleno; no good can come from slagging off SIBC or the people who run it. Despite its detractors SIBC has plenty of listeners.

In the interests of good manners, we should aim to keep this discussion as objective as possible.

SIBC are entirely within their rights to decide what makes the play-list, of course; perhaps it wasn't worded quite as others would have chosen, but he did take the time to answer comprehensively - many stations would simply have ignored the request.

^^

Well said poorleno ....

Ian and Inga have taken a lot of stick through the years, but despite this they are still going.

And they are providing a community service that probably only exists because they are a family run business.

So if they don't want to play a certain type of music .. that's their prerogative..