Trout Fishing

turrifield

Do you tell the truth about fishing?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Do you tell the truth about fishing?

• I am a damned liar and never catch any good fish
    • I always tell the truth and i never catch small fish
    • I think fishing is for sad people who can't do sports

Spinning! Bad? You want to try bait fishing mate! They'll hang draw and quarter you! (only joking):wink:

To answer your question and without getting into a lengthy sermon about various fishing techniques:

The SAA own fishing rights to a couple of lochs. Notably Benston. In those lochs they seem to have the right to dictate "fly fishing only", i presume that this is a legal right, but for most lochs they can only recommend fly fishing, not enforce anything as i don't believe they hold the fishing rights.

In Benston, it was thought that spinning was taking out too many good fish, so there was less for the fly fishers. One source has told me however, that given the excellent growth rate in benston, the average fish size has started to fall, as less fish are taken.

That is all hearsay. I can't verify any of it completely. I do know that i have been sneered at and harrassed for using perfectly legitimate fishing techniques that are accepted throughout Scotland. Each to their own i say, i reckon i care as much about the lochs and fish stocks as any angler. And i'll use whatever legitimate technique suits the day; fly, spin or bait.

The SAA do a fantastic job in stocking, most of the time, but they do seem a bit over keen on "fly fishing only".

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are only two lochs in Shetland designated "fly only".

1) Spiggie : This loch is owned by the RSPB & SAA pay a fairly high rent for the fishing. A condition of the RSPB lease is that the loch is designated "fly fishing only"

2) Benston- SAA own all the lochs in the Nesting area. Some years ago benston was being heavily fished by bait fishers & spinners and the trout stocks were suffering. SAA currently has a policy of not restocking Benston, therefore in order to achieve a sustainable fishery, it was decided to make this one loch fly fishing only.

For the record, SAA also pays a lease for the fishing on all the westside lochs and has a formal lease over the lochs on several other estates. SAA tries to improve the fishing on these lochs but doesn't stop non members ( it only costs £20 per year) from fishing. SAA holds spinning and fly fishing competitions and there is no problem with members bait fishing if they wish as long as they abide within the law which says that you should only use one rod at a time.

Hope that clears up some issues.

Cheers for the info guys, I thought it had to be something like that, however I thought fly fishing tended to be more successful than spinning or the good old bubble float, bearing that in mind would that method not take more fish out of the Lochs?, maybe I'm completely wrong though.

In my first post I was refering to the Northhouse Loch between Clousta and Twatt, I've no been to the lochs for a while but was thinkin to try it again this year, I don't think this 'rule' will stop me but I do see the SAA's point of view, I probably would only consider breaking their rules in my own area (Clousta).

Never tried Fly Fishing, wouldn't mind trying it sometime though!

I thought fly fishing tended to be more successful than spinning or the good old bubble float, bearing that in mind would that method not take more fish out of the Lochs?,

The thing about fly fishing is that you can usually put the fish back undamaged, if you want to. Fish caught by spinners & bait are usually too damaged to return. Believe it or not, there are quite a few anglers who return their fish.

In my first post I was refering to the Northhouse Loch between Clousta and Twatt, I've no been to the lochs for a while but was thinkin to try it again this year, I don't think this 'rule' will stop me but I do see the SAA's point of view, I probably would only consider breaking their rules in my own area (Clousta).

Kevin, not sure what "rule" you are referring to- if its the thing about using only one rod, this isn't an SAA rule its Scottish Law so in theory you could be done for it. I have to admit that in reallity its highly unlikely that you would be.

Never tried Fly Fishing, wouldn't mind trying it sometime though![/quote
]

You get more exercise and see more of the country!

The thing about fly fishing is that you can usually put the fish back undamaged, if you want to. Fish caught by spinners & bait are usually too damaged to return. Believe it or not, there are quite a few anglers who return their fish.

Ah, ok, that makes sense.

Kevin, not sure what "rule" you are referring to- if its the thing about using only one rod, this isn't an SAA rule its Scottish Law so in theory you could be done for it. I have to admit that in reallity its highly unlikely that you would be.

I wis speaking about the Fly Only rule.

• 3 weeks later...

I fish with a bubble 'n' a worm and I don't fish so that I can put the fish back they taste too good. I think that it's the sport anglers that give fishing a bad name and give fuel to the cruelty lobby who now have fishing in thier sights since they won the fox hunting arguement

• 1 month later...

I hear that 3 dogs died at Clingswater this weekend due to drinking blue algae. There are notices up warning anglers to stay away. Pockets of this stuff can be seen on many lochs during the season & all you have to do is be sensible & keep clear of it.

I for one will continue to fish Clingswater which has been fishing well this season.

Another example of the "namby pamby" state in action

I hear that 3 dogs died at Clingswater this weekend due to drinking blue algae. There are notices up warning anglers to stay away. Pockets of this stuff can be seen on many lochs during the season & all you have to do is be sensible & keep clear of it.

I for one will continue to fish Clingswater which has been fishing well this season.

Another example of the "namby pamby" state in action

Oh!, never heard about this, but then the person who lives in the house next to the loch is not and 'active' member of the community. might go oot for a walk tonight if its fine, might even tak da waand.

How does this algae form?, is it anything to do with fertiliser?, if it is it would be kinda strange as i don't think any of the parks that are on the shore of the loch get spread.

• 1 month later...