Shetland Folk Festival - Unst

Foords_Chocolates

Once again it seems Unst does not exist as far as the Folk Festival is concerned. The last time we had acts up here was in 2006, and the festival committee have told me that even then it was because another hall somewhere else was unable to hold the event at the last minute.

Not all of us are able to whizz across to Yell or Fetlar (which incidentally is more difficult to get to than Unst so why put the events there over Unst?) so at what point will we get something organised for here? Is it because now the RAF station is closed there are not enough people to warrant the organisation? Oh, no, that cannot be it because events are organised for Fetlar.

To anyone from Fetlar, I have nothing against holding events there and am not stating for a moment that they should not happen - I just feel that we are being treated as the poor relations as far as the festival committee are concerned and I wonder why. I have tried to get the answers to the question but no-one seems to want to answer me - probably because I am on Unst.....

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Aaron

In case you didn't receive (or understand) the email I sent to you on 14th January 2008 when you emailed the Shetland Folk Festival office, I'll post the relevant parts here again for you.

There is no event in Unst this year because there is an event in Fetlar.

They are well overdue a visit!

Unst last had a concert in 2006 (and 2005 too if I remember correctly).

As I'm sure you are well aware, there are 52 pubic halls in Shetland - all

keen to host Folk Festival visits. Not all are suitable halls (i.e in

terms of size, accessibility) but most of them are. We try to rotate them

and also put on a series of concerts throughout Shetland (i.e make sure

there is a geographical spread every year). Therefore, the likes of

Scalloway or Bigton Halls will only host Folk Festival visits every 3 or 4

years.

I would like to hope that we can make it to Unst next year

One thing I didn't clarify in my email to you is that Fetlar is actually regarded as an "outreach" concert. Skerries was our outreach concert last year and Fair Isle the year before. We put on these outreach events fully aware that they usually do not pay for themselves. We do it out of a committment to bringing the best in World and Shetland folk music to the remotest of Shetland communities and their public halls.

May I also remind you that the Shetland Folk Festival is a 100% voluntary run affair - a non-profit organisation dedicated to bringing the best folk music from around the globe to the local community and visitors alike

Cheers fur noo

Mhari Pottinger

Shetland Folk Festival Committee

There is no event in Unst this year because there is an event in Fetlar.
Fetlar is actually regarded as an "outreach" concert. Skerries was our outreach concert last year

So is Unst an 'Outreach' concert too? On the basis of this information, there was no concert in Unst in 2006 because there was a concert in Skerries. Does that mean that next year the outreach concert will be in Papa Stour?

It is to easy for mainlanders to reach so many concerts, and Yell too has concerts every year. Perhaps the organisers and committee, whether voluntary or not (and this point was never under any debate though your reply seems to indicate that you seem to think it was) should consider that not everyone is commitment-free enough to travel to see concerts and try to spread them around a little more fairly. In reality, there is no reason why Unst should not stage a concert and that is what is annoying.

Therefore, the likes of Scalloway or Bigton Halls will only host Folk Festival visits every 3 or 4 years.

But then it is hardly a problem to get from Scalloway to Lerwick is it?

Incidentally, I received your email in January but thought that Shetlink was a fair enough place to air views that others probably think the same.

We are all entitled to our own opinions, and even more so when questions are not answered in a manner that we feel gives a satisfactory answer.

Perhaps the organisers and committee, whether voluntary or not (and this point was never under any debate though your reply seems to indicate that you seem to think it was) should consider that not everyone is commitment-free enough to travel to see concerts and try to spread them around a little more fairly
I think you're being a little harsh with your reply. The FF committee spend a huge amount of their own time in providing a world class festival to Shetland. They have limited time and resources and I believe they make an excellent job of proportioning them fairly

Looking at the Folk Festivals venue list there are only 8 country halls hosting events this year.

If 8 country hall venues is the norm, and there are 52 halls in Shetland, all wanting to host a night, then by the laws of average they will get a night every 6.5 years.

The Folk Festival has not been to Burra for a couple of years, but i am sure they will be back next year or the year after.

You can't please all of the people all of the time, although i am pretty sure the Festival Committee try to.

Aaron,

Haroldswick was regarded as an outreach concert in 2006 - yes. Fair Isle was actually 2005. Skerries was 2007.

I'm afraid that I do not agree with you Aaron about the fairness of the spread of this year's events. The map below show the venues by location

http://www.shetlandfolkfestival.com/venues.php

In actual reality, most of the 52 public halls in Shetland are capable of staging a folk festival event (including the ones in Unst). However, the Festival simply does not have the capacity to hold any more events per Festival day as it currently does. Otherwise, we would try and utilise the community halls more frequently than every 4 years or so.

I really do not know how I can answer your question in a more satisfactory manner (without going, yes, we'll just ditch the planned concert in Fetlar and come to Unst instead!) Sorry

Mhari

ON the contrary, I am not being harsh, I am simply pointing out that it is not as easy for us to travel from Unst to concerts when we have to allow extra time for travelling or leave concerts early because of ferries than someone in Scalloway having to drive to Lerwick.

I am not debating that the concerts are indeed excellent, nor am I saying that the committee do not do an excellent job - I am simply asking for a fair deal for those of us on the outer fringes that would love to see the concerts but cannot do so. I think that I am asking for fairness, and not being, meaning or attempting to be 'harsh' at all.

really do not know how I can answer your question in a more satisfactory manner (without going, yes, we'll just ditch the planned concert in Fetlar and come to Unst instead!) Sorry

You could do less concerts in Lerwick and more in the more far reach areas?

I guess I will have to wait until 2009 and see what happens then.

Less events in Lerwick? Only a possibility if we can feel confident that the additional events in the remoter locations will sell out and bring us a similar level of income to what the sell out Lerwick venues currently do (the financial aspects has to be a consideration too. If we can't break even - there will be no Shetland Folk Festival for any of the communities! We have to get the balance right)

Well answered Mhari.

I think that if Foords_Chocolates actually re-read what has been written in this tread he would see that his points have all been addressed and realise that he should be happy that Unst had 2 concerts in the past 4 years - more than most!

Oh and Fjool, sorry but I know that there has already been a request for Pink Floyd in the Quarff hall on that day!! :lol:

ON the contrary, I am not being harsh, I am simply pointing out that it is not as easy for us to travel from Unst to concerts when we have to allow extra time for travelling or leave concerts early because of ferries than someone in Scalloway having to drive to Lerwick.

I am not debating that the concerts are indeed excellent, nor am I saying that the committee do not do an excellent job - I am simply asking for a fair deal for those of us on the outer fringes that would love to see the concerts but cannot do so. I think that I am asking for fairness, and not being, meaning or attempting to be 'harsh' at all.

I do think you're being a little unfair to the FF committee in suggesting some kind of unfairness.

It's your choice to live in Unst.

It's also your choice to decant for the weekend and whoop it up in Lerwick...if you want to.

Isn't there some sort of arrangement whereby you can organise late runs of the necessary ferries, if you wish to get home after a mainland-based concert?

Okay, just to make things really clear:-

Mhari, no personal offence is or was intended, I just like the folk festival and would love to have a chance to see some of it. I simply wanted to make the point that it is far easier to travel across mainland to see events such as the Folk Festival than if you are on the outer isles.

Unlike Marooned, I have responsibilities and commitments that prevent me from "decanting for the weekend' - and yes, I choose to live in Unst as surprisingly enough my decision of where to live was not based around where the Shetland Folk Festival events would be held for the period of years that I live here.

I suppose everyone who has posted on this thread lives in mainland Shetland. I can only ask that they consider if they were the ones in the outer isles.

Okay, just to make things really clear:-

Mhari, no personal offence is or was intended, I just like the folk festival and would love to have a chance to see some of it. I simply wanted to make the point that it is far easier to travel across mainland to see events such as the Folk Festival than if you are on the outer isles.

I don't think anybody's disputing that, but with a concert in Yell every year (according to you) that's surely not unreachable? Is there an arrangement whereby late ferries can be organised - perhaps through the Community Council?

Unlike Marooned, I have responsibilities and commitments that prevent me from "decanting for the weekend' - and yes, I choose to live in Unst as surprisingly enough my decision of where to live was not based around where the Shetland Folk Festival events would be held for the period of years that I live here.

Excuse me? I don't believe I ever mentioned my personal circumstances so I'll thank you to be a little less presumptuous.

Whatever reason you chose to live in Unst, you did so aware of its location and difficulties that would no doubt ensue - as do the rest of Shetlanders.

If you were that keen to attend a FF concert you'd make a special effort to do so - not just moan on here at a voluntary committee who don't provide for you on your own doorstep.

I suppose everyone who has posted on this thread lives in mainland Shetland. I can only ask that they consider if they were the ones in the outer isles.

I wouldn't know about the locations of the other posters - I do know that if there was something I really wanted to see, I'd arrange to do so.

For your information, I'm not on the FF committee, I don't know who is therefore can't tell you if I know anybody on the committee and the only FF event I'll be attending is stewarding at the Festival Club.