Wheel Clampers

JustMe

i thought if your car didnt have tax they can now conviscate it and sell/crush it if you dont reclaim within 14 days??? or is that just insurance????

If your vehicle has no MOT Tax or Insurance and is on a public highway and has not been sorned the DVLA has the right to remove it but must give you the option of getting the car "fully" roadworthy before you get it back, failure to contact the DVLA or Police will result in your car (irrespective of age or condition) being crushed.

^^ A perfect incentive if there ever was one, for anyone who drives old wrecks and not always in a fully legal state, to only drive old wrecks in even worse condition.

Just buy bombs worth equal to or less than the reclaim fee, and when they impound it, let them keep it and just buy another of the same.

^^ Yes, of course, but no legal paperwork does not automatically equate to the vehicle in question being in physically and mechanically unroadworthy condition, some will be, some not.

Considering what garage charges, plus MOT fees, insurance premiums and road tax cost, it doesn't take long getting away with not paying them to cover the cost of any unroadworthyness fines and turn a decent profit on the whole deal as well anyway.

Considering what garage charges, plus MOT fees, insurance premiums and road tax cost, it doesn't take long getting away with not paying them to cover the cost of any unroadworthyness fines and turn a decent profit on the whole deal as well anyway.

So, based on that premise, when my brakes fail or I skid on ice or diesel and slide through an intersection and destroy the car of a hard-working law-abiding soul who NEEDS that car to do his or her job every day and whose livelihood is now destroyed because I don't have insurance, do I just shrug and tell him/her 'sorry pal, but you can't blame me for saving money.'?

rm

Those things happen regardless of whether a vehicle is "paper legal" or not, and the way I see it, you'd be quids to give the other party a cheque for the value of their vehicle, even if you had to put it all on a c/c or take out a loan to do it, and so would they. They'd even be better off if they took you to court and sued you, considering the way motor insurance companies operate, it's a scam/con/extortion racket worthy of Capone.

There of course is also the argument that someone who had such a dependency on that particular vehicle as the person in your hypothetical example, would have been well advised to have a "Plan B", as many things could render their vehicle unusable that was no-one's fault.

S**t Happens! You go out there on the road, and the first rule is to identify the idiots who can't drive and may hit you, as soon as you have a visual on them, and keep well out of their way. If you don't succeed, you're on your own and it's up to you to find your own way home, relying on insurance is to lean on a wobbly and ready to collapse crutch, who will screw you over first chance to recoup any money they do eventually pay you.

It's worth pointing out that it's not just the DVLA that can remove cars. Under the Removal and Disposal of Vehicles Amendment (Scotland) Regulations 2002, local authorities can serve notice on a car that is deemed to be unroadworthy or causing a nuisance on a public highway - council residential car parks included. If the car is untaxed and doesn't have a SORN (insurance, MOT etc. are not taken into consideration), a notice is placed on the car.

The registered keeper is not notified, and if the car isn't moved within 24hrs the local authority can uplift and destroy the car. It isn't impounded or held, it's simply crushed - contents included. Many folk have been caught out by this after buying an old heap that they plan to fix up or use for spares and leaving it in the car park outside the house. If anyone has an old banger sitting around outside that isn't taxed and they want to keep hold of it, get it onto private land.

Seen in the Co-op car park this morning was a lorry with signs claiming that it is a wheel clamping unit operated on behalf of the DVLA.......anyone with an untaxed car might want to think about correcting their oversight before getting clamped.

this is true..i believe they clamped a car in mossbank and then took it away to inverness to be crushed!!!!

Seen in the Co-op car park this morning was a lorry with signs claiming that it is a wheel clamping unit operated on behalf of the DVLA.......anyone with an untaxed car might want to think about correcting their oversight before getting clamped.

this is true..i believe they clamped a car in mossbank and then took it away to inverness to be crushed!!!!

Nice to see government money well spent, sending a crew up here and shipping to inverness to crush. The fine could all be done by post to last known registered keeper(as they are responsible for transfering ownership) and car crushed up here in shetland.

Carbon footprint :shock:

I remember being amused when I read about how the residents of Paris reacted to the introduction of wheelclamps. Everyone started carrying tubes of superglue and whenever they saw a wheelclamp, they filled the lock with the stuff rendering it useless and forcing the clampers to cut the clamp off, destroying it in the process. The clamps were withdrawn soon after this started.

Power to the people! :lol: :lol:

• 2 weeks later...