SKY TV in Shetland

Hollian

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

help!

Somehow or other the sky box seems to have reset it's self to believe we're in London. Now I must admit i had those channels on favourites as STV can be sharn and gaelic television can be a bore. But now can't find stv, for the aberdeen news. Any suggestions?

Can't find anything that lets me change the regional settings. Got the new sky card in not that long ago, could it be they've sent a wrong one out?

Mines does this about once or twice a week. All I do is turn the box off then off at the wall. Wait for a few minutes then turn it back on and it sets back to Scotland. It can be really annoying at times though.

tried the off and on a couple of times before I posted. Was a bit confused as freeview boxes have regional settings in their menu and couldn't find it in the sky box.I know that a few of the sky channels were changed today and just figured it needed a channel reset just couldn't find a way to do it.

Updated fine without phone line - second time round that is.

I am an ops manager and have worked for Sky for over 10 years. I understand the frustration with the lack of support and service on the Shetland Islands but this is somewhat out of Sky's control. In isolated areas Sky will out source the work in that area and trust the contractors to complete the service to the highest standard. As we approach the digital switchover and the customer base grows it may be the case that Sky will employ someone living in Shetland on a permanent basis which will solve the current situation. If anyone has any technical equiries I will be happy to help through this forum.

Guest Anonymous

^^^ :lol: cough,, splutter,, :lol: :lol:

Actually staggered to see somebody from Sky who is prepared to put themselves on the line in a forum such as this.

One up for Sky, although the flack you get may make you wonder if it was worth it. :wink:

Jas07, welcome to Shetlink. I agree with the previous posts that it's a very good thing that you are willing to communicate though the forum and thanks for doing so.

My question is : given that Sky does out-source it's works up here, how do you assess the quality of the work carried out on your behalf?

I must say in Sky's defence, I recently upgraded to sky+ HD online less than a fortnight ago and got in installed yesterday. It was two sky boys from fife who telephoned on the due date morning, arrived on time, wore protective covers on their shoes so no gutter! and were very pleasant. Much better than some of my past experiences with our local installer!

They said they were only here for two weeks but could be here full time with the level of work available.

but he lives there. it should be easy enough for him to come round. when we moved in the wire from the dish was missing the connector so i put one on. the sat stopped working a few weeks later and he tried to blame me turns out water had got into the cable. he was sulking when he left. this took six weeks to get sorted.

I ordered SKY TV around the last week of September. I ordered this then as I was due to move into my own house with my girlfriend who was moving up from England. The “Pleasant and Helpful†person I got on the phone said got this all ordered for me quite happily, and happily took my payment for the phone line to be hooked up. I was told that this would take between 2-3 weeks for the phone like to be installed.

The order included SKY TV, Phone line with line rental and free calls, and SKY Broadband. And wanted to have this all in for the girlfriend moving up so she could keep in contact with home, because unfortunately we don’t get a mobile signal where we stay.

I was told I would receive a letter indicating when the engineer would be coming to install my phone line. After a couple of weeks I called back to ask why I hadn’t received this letter? The person I got on the phone this time said that I had to activate my viewing card for the order to process for my Phone line. This to me seemed stupid but I went ahead and managed to get into the house I was moving into to stick the card in the box that was in the house. This meant that since the viewing card was active, I had to start paying my monthly payments to sky TV. Even though I wasn’t using the service because I wasn’t staying in the house to get the phone line in ASAP this is what I had to do? That’s my FIRST Problem with sky. Why would you have to have your TV working to get a phone line?? The SECOND problem with sky is that I explained my situation to the first sky advisor I spoke to and she knew that I wanted this all in before I moved into the house, so why didn’t she enlighten me to the fact that I needed to activate my viewing card?

Well, besides that I got the viewing card activated, and again I was told I would receive a letter indicating when the engineer would be coming to install my phone line. After a couple of weeks I called back to ask why I hadn’t received this letter? The person I got on the phone this time said that my order appeared to be stuck? That’s my THIRD problem with sky. Isn’t there a system that monitors and follows up orders to ensure that everything is going smoothly? So anyway. This order was “escalated†I thinks the word, for a department to address and get my order back on track. This would take 48/72 hours I was then told AGAIN, after the 48/72 hours I would receive a letter indicating when the engineer would be coming to install my phone line This happened again a few weeks later. The same problem, the same outcome.

So on Friday the 13th of November, I called again. The person I got on the phone this time said that my order appeared to be stuck STILL. He was “nice†He told me he’d instead of escalating the problem, as it took too long, he cancel my order and reorder my phone line etc… as this would be easiest for all. PROBLEM 4 On leaving the call I got told id receive a call back that day to be offered some sort of sympathy deal or something. No phone call back was received!!!!

PROBLEM 5 So on the 17th of November, I called back to check my orders progress. The order that was still stuck in the system and the guy that I spoke to on the 13th had done nothing with it. PROBLEM 6 After over an hour on the phone, I got to a very unhelpful lad who eventually hung up on me, on phoning back I got a woman, called Shelia who said shed sort it out for me. And we are yet too see if this will be done. Unfortunately for me, SKY is the only provider of extra channels in Shetland and where I stay, and I’ve entered a contract which I cannot cancel without costing me MORE money.

PLEASE BEAR IN MIND THAT EVERY PHONE CALL MADE TO SKY, I HAD TO LEAVE MY HOUSE, AS I DON’T HAVE A PHONELINE OR PHONE SIGNAL AND DRIVE TO MY PARENTS TO USE THERE PHONE!!

Thats prviding a good service?? Useless.

Well it sounds to me as though you have a good case for terminating the contract with Sky as they have failed to complete their part of the deal.

As for extra channels you can get Freesat now and almost certainly Freeview next May. Maybe a few places that will not get Freeview but everywhere should get Freesat.