Freak weather in Skeld

mgb2010

you had better belive it was freaky we still have a foot of hail drifts at the front. the storm seemed stuck above us for about 3 hours some truly powerful lightning. 3 strikes in our and next doors fields. the loch at the bottom was flooded and the stream to the sea was getting close to flooding the road. that will teach me to laugh about the weather down south :( the roads had a good few inchs of hail on them and they had to be gritted. very simular to a mid winter scene

According to the Met office in Aberdeen yesterday, all we had were a few light scattered showers!, you get a better forecast from seaweed, it's about time we had Shetland weather forecasting done from Shetland, and not 300 miles away, imagine being on top of Ronas Hill in a Lightning storm with no shelter or protection what's so ever, because you listened to the Bloody Stupid forecast from Scotland and decided to go for a hike.

PILLOCKS!.

@ Rasmie

Well.....not entirely. I spoke to a gentleman of the Northmavine area during the evening and he informed me they hadn't even seen rain and had faintly heard the thunder in the distance.

Haven't checked with the north isles as yet :P

@PJ, the Met office have a branch in Lerwick :?

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/os/lerwick_latest_weather_graphs.html

(but they only had 2mm of rain.)

He does'nt live in Hillswick then, plenty of lightning and torrential rain, hence no power from 4.30pm till9.30pm, as regards the forecasting from Aberdeen this whole summer has been very poor and very misleading especially for tourists, who just may venture up on say Ronas Hill and get caught out in thunder storms etc that weren't forecast, being local i know not to listen to the Forecast but to use my own expierience from hiking round different parts of the world and knowing the un predictable weather of these isles. Studying the Met office's saterlite pictures helps, something that they don't seem to do themselves!

I heard the Rumbles of thunder most of afternoon and i was fishing at the south end of bressay then we started seeing lighting strikes out west, during that time the clouds shifted our way east even tho wind appears too be coming a differnt direction. then there were a few good strikes in the sea off bressay too the east pretty spectacular! follwed by that heavy rain in the town early evening!

Strange for the weather to end up like that was a superb afternoon mostly!

Ok. I'll hold my hands up and say sorry. It was all my fault.. I'd just finished torturing the monkeys when the sky turned the most amazing ominous dark grey and then there was a bolt of lightning. I scrabbled to disconnect the computer.. As if that wasn't enough, I was then punished with a 5 hr power cut..

Divine retribution. :wink: