Ian Rankin

Terry Pratchett

Jeffery Archer - Kane and Abel

J.K Rowling

Dan Brown - his writing is pish, but his stories are good

Rohl Dahl

Brian Jaques

Stephen King

Loads and loads more, can't think right now! :)

Yeah, I agree we de on Dan Brown's writin' bein' brawly crap. Stories med up fur it tho.

Flann O'Brien. His "The Third Policeman" is surely one of the best comic novels in the English language, as well as a gorgeous example of how Irish writers can use English in a weird, hypnotic but completely absorbing way. Also, his columns in the Irish Times (writing as Myles na g'Copaleen) during WWII leave me helpless with laughter even after several readings (the book title is "The Best of Myles"). This list wouldn't be complete without him.

Guest Anonymous

Arthur C. Clarke (16/12/1917 - 19/03/2008)

Link to biography:

http://www.clarkefoundation.org/acc/biography.php

Most of his work, especially the factual stuff is well worth a read. And, if it wasn't for his foresight, satellite television might not have happened. Hence the naming of the belt of geostationary satellites which give us all our wonderful TV as, the Clarke Belt. ...... Sometimes I wish he'd not bothered.. :wink:

• 2 weeks later...

George Perec. In particular for his masterpiece Life a user's manual .

If you check out the links you'll probably get the idea that the result of his approach will be extremely affected impenetrable rubbish. All I can say is that this is far from being the case. It is clever, but not at all cold and sterile.

One of his books was written without a single letter "e." It was reviewed in a French broadsheet and the critic didn't notice the missing letter.

So many brilliant authors already.

Dean Koontz anything by him and I'll read it, Funhouse, From the Corner of his Eye, Odd Thomas to name just 3 of a long list.

Robin Cook is another favourite, Vital Signs, Toxin, Harmful Intent, again another prolific writer, I'm currently reading Crisis, along side A Life In Time and Space, The Biography Of David Tennant

Shaun Hutson, Twisted Souls

Anna Rice, The Vampire Chronicles, Lestat, the Mayfair Witches and many more. Vampire stories that make your hair stand on end. Forget Count Dracula.

Thank goodness for the library, I take out 7 a week.

^^^ Wow you must be such a cheerful soul! Just kidding, I'm a Dean Koontz fan myself - The Watchers is one of my favourites, and didn't he write "Flight of the Intruder".

Currently reading (or rather re-reading) Terry Pratchett's "Nation" - an excellent departure from his Discworld series that hopefully starts the old grey cells sparking with exposure to some fresh ideas.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

funnily enough I am a cheerful soul, I've read a few Terry Pratchet myself but could never get into him, feel for him, though, my mum had the same and she didn't know me at the end.

My favourite shelf in the library at the moment is the teens shelf, lots of fantasy fiction, dragons, magic and the like, escapism (did I spell that right?) at it's best. Hate spelling and bad punctuation so don't hesitate to pull me up about it.

Just love dragon storys, can't bide Mills and Boon type books

^^^ Speaking of Dragons, did you get into TSR's "Dragonlance" series at all? I lost the will to live after the fortieth book and put the lot in the jumble. Weis and Hickman's originals based on some Dungeons and Dragons adventures weren't bad but the continuing saga of the acquaintances of the grand children of people who'd been told stories about the "Heroes of the Lance" has gone a mite far.

Anne McCaffrey is probably the authority on Dragons in fantasy fiction, but I can't get on with her style of writing. The Eragon series is a reasonable read, and Ursula Le Guin's Earthsea trilogy is worth a read IMHO.

Oh my, Dennis Wheatly, has anyone read The Devil Rides Out, I read it years ago and had a really bad nightmare, I'd read a few of his books but that one was the only one that gave me a nightmare, I was in a sweat by the time I shot awake looking for the devil in the room

Years later I watched the film on tv and had the same nightmare, really, really weird

^^^ Speaking of Dragons, did you get into TSR's "Dragonlance" series at all? I lost the will to live after the fortieth book and put the lot in the jumble. Weis and Hickman's originals based on some Dungeons and Dragons adventures weren't bad but the continuing saga of the acquaintances of the grand children of people who'd been told stories about the "Heroes of the Lance" has gone a mite far.

Anne McCaffrey is probably the authority on Dragons in fantasy fiction, but I can't get on with her style of writing. The Eragon series is a reasonable read, and Ursula Le Guin's Earthsea trilogy is worth a read IMHO.

Read a few of them but when you get that far I'd agree, you'd lose the will to live, Anne McCaffrey was/is wonderful in her writing about dragons, don't know what it is about them but I just love reading about them, are you watching Merlin at the moment, do you like the dragon?

are you watching Merlin at the moment, do you like the dragon?

John Hurt's voice is pretty good, although perhaps the humour that Sean Connery brought to Dragonheart might be better. The Dragon CGI is quite well done and the sound designer gives you a decent feel of a dragon in a cavern. Not a bad series by a long chalk, but I prefer Mary Stewart's Merlin trilogy in print. It rings truer (if that's a real sentence) than the Beeb's offering.

The Merlin Trilogy (Crystal Cave, Hollow Hills and Last Enchantment) now available as a single volume http://www.amazon.co.uk/Merlin-Trilogy-Mary-Stewart/dp/0688003478/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1223675508&sr=1-1