National Anthem

Given the recent press that this has received, what are your views on our National Anthem?

Football and Rugby use Flower of Scotland whereas the Commonwealth Games team were using Scotland the Brave.

Should we have a recognised National Anthem?

I know from personal experience that Flower of Scotland can end up sounding like a funeral procession at football games. The crowd end up singing it faster than the band then half the crowd try to sing along at the band speed and it just ends up in a right mess.

On the other side of the coin, very few people know the words to Scotland the Brave (aside from the playground "Here's comes the highland granny").

Other choices that have been bounced about in the past few years are -

Highland Cathedral

Loch Lomond

Auld Lang Syne

Caledonia

I think there is one that was written a few years ago that The Scotsman championed, however that may have been Highland Cathedral. I've never heard it so I can't comment.

Runrig's version of Loch Lomond always gets a good response at Hampden. Lovely song as well.

Auld Lang Syne is too associated with New Year in my opinion. Not just in Scotland but worldwide. Plus you would get lots of people doing the handshaking bit at the wrong time.

Frankie Miller's/Dougie MacLean's (Shetland Folk Festival this year) Caledonia is an incredible song. Written from the viewpoint of Frankie Miller yearning from his homeland after years of living away (France I think).

Anyone else got any thoughts?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that Flower of Scotland instills a certain amount of passion into a player when they are up before a big game/contest/whatever. The whole thing with the band/crowd could easily be solved. Change the rhythm a bit. Start it off slow, build it up and end it off fast. The whole idea of an anthem (from a sporting point of view) is to work everyone up and get them backing their country and trying their damnedest. Start singing Auld Lang Syne and the players will be off to see where they left their glass. Caledonia will more than likely leave them wimpering fools, thinking about their lives back home.

I vote for THE PROCLAIMERS - 500 Miles. Now THAT would get the teams raring to go! :twisted: When sung drunk it is a little like the Maori's Haka.

Not in my book its not.

For one thing, in this day and age it is politically incorrect.

'God' - What is God? Is there a God? Who is God? In such a diverse cultural society as the UK this is surely wrong?

'Save Our' - Our? Didn't know I had rights to the Queen. If I do then is she due me a little cash?

'Gracious Queen' - What's so gracious? Picking her nose, shooting birds, etc...

The Royal Family has managed to get itself into a status that means little more than any other tourist attraction. The only problem is that a lot less public money is spent on other tourist attractions.

If it was up to me, I'd go for "Donald, Where's Yer Troosers ?"

I'll go with that. Or maybe the "There's a moose, loose aboot this hoose" because of the groovy saxaphone playing, meaning less words to learn

I (and I suspect most people) don't know anything beyond the 1st verse of Scotland the Brave, Flower of Scotland, God save the queen or Auld Land Syne.

And why do we even need a National Anthem anyway? Something to do at sports events?

P.S. God sink the queen