alcohol services in shetland

paulb

Should the Papa Stour project be funded?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Papa Stour project be funded?

• yes
    • no

He will probably get a program of dihydracodene tablets, these are normaly given to folk who suffer acute pain from the back etc.

Not all prisoners automatically get methadone, there are a number of alternatives.

He will also be given some sort of mild sleeping tablets like mogadons.

If he realises his ways he can ask to be put on a drug free part of the prison, this has it's rewards, though he will have to submit to regular drug tests. This goes towards the prospects he will have when he is released, more agencies are able to help him, cos he have taken 1st step.

Thank you SP, that's what I was wanting to know. Thank you for answering my question.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many people have been rehabilitated by the Holt-Brookes and how much of the public purse have they recieved? These would be very interesting figures!

It's not just a case of the clinics south being COST effective, it is the fact that the actualy ARE effective.

And no matter what your religious views are, you should not whap that down peoples throats!

And without saying "I wouldn'd do that' how would you like to be treated by the system if you fell on your face, or younger folks in your circle.

Well, you see, the so called "system" has already, if not caused me to fall flat on my face, it did nothing to prevent my free fall to the ground, and then has spent half my life stepping over me, around me, and passing by on the other side while I have lived 24/7 with much worse than cold turkey and jail combined could ever do on its worst days,and for a helluva lot longer.

Without going in to personal details that I am not willing to divulge on the open internet, and without making statements that might be seen in the eyes of some as possibly libellous rather than proven, due to the weight of proof required in medical negilence claims being almost totally weighted against the victim, I cannot really elaborate much futher.

Hence, I am more than just a little cynical of taking anything operated by the "system" at face value. The whole set up concerning illegal substances, and the addicts to them and to legal substances, to me comes off as nothing more than a cynical, spin laden PR farce dreamt up and maintained by hypocrites, Which does nothing to diminish the existence of the issues, ignores and fails the minority of true victims, plays right in to the hands of those who would abuse it as a free ride, and exists primarily as a tool for those who promote it heaviest to give themselves a leg up.

Of course in the "no blame" etc etc society that we have it is no more than can be expected, but IMHO providing alternatives to addicts in jail does nothing but encourage them to return to jail rather than discourage them. By all means if someone is jailed for the first time and they have an addiction, offer them medical assistance to get off the substance they are addicted to, I have no problem with that, and they will have been given a good start by the time they are released to continue the treatment outside. But by the same token it should be made clear to them at the time, that if they return to jail in the future and by then they are again dependant on a substance, they are on their own to cold turkey it.

As things stand, when someone lapses back to their old habits after release, its just shrugged off as "one of those things", maybe it'll work next try. That to my logic is very wrong, they were given the opportunity, they were given the treatment, the fact they lapsed proves the treatment did not work, end of. Until and unless addicts are clearly made aware that detoxing inside is a one shot deal, after that if someone comes back as an addict its their problem to deal with it, no more freebies hits to keep them feeling nice and comfortable, nothing is going to change, they might as well get the nearest dealer to come in every day and hand out hits to all who want them and pay him too, as what's going on right now is no different.

It's worth remembering that an addiction of any sort (alcohol, drugs, gambling) is generally a symptom of an underlying problem. It can be all very well (albeit very difficult) for someone to stop using their particular substance of choice but unless the root cause is looked at, the chances of going back to the original state remain high.

The seemingly high proportion of alcoholics and problem drinkers in Shetland is of huge interest to me. Also a high suicide rate and high obesity record.

I can't help but wonder what these are indicitave of?

My own theories (and I stress they are purely my own) include boredom, societal pressure and norms, the long hours of darkness in the winter, and subsequent long hours of light in the summer (both can have an effect on the behaviour of 'users') and to an extent, genetics.

Please note; an overmanaged, overbudget NHS and a basket case council are in no postion to lecture anyone on value for money methinks. If the papaproject is so crap and secretive how come their care commission reports are so good and available for all to read on the www. Ignorance is not bliss, its dangerous.

The Project in Papa Stour is different because it is unique, and is yet another one of the things that make Shetland unique. It should be funded because it is a good idea in theory and in practice, and without it Shetland is less useful to society.

It is not just for the inhabitants of Shetland, who live with the sensory experiences of being here every day.

It is also for people who may come from lands vastly different-London and suchlike, an existence so unimagineable to those who have never strayed out of sight of a sheep or loch, and would probably find it unbelieveable that a person could have never seen a living ewe, or the sea with their own eyes.

Its very existence is increasingly important in this increasingly homogenous world, an evermore corporate experience characterised by the ubiquitous and banal.

A person in need of help, who has come searching for help in stepping outside of a substance-based existence(whatever their reasons for ending up in that routine) could do far worse than engaging with a project like this.

In a city, the help will probably consist of a tense, time conscious councillor in some uninspiring building of non-premium location.

On a remote island made of awe-inspiring stuff, the centre is about as remote as you can get, and probably the strongest and most visceral jolt out of a habit as one could find, short of being plonked in a desert.

On an island so wrapped up in its own perception of itself while the rest of the world is experiencing a much more dramatic change, this place provides an example of how the wonderful Shetland Islands contiues to be while so much of the rest of the world is having a REALLY hard time.

All that is being asked is that Shetlanders try to look beyond themselves and provide some money for something which can and does help.

Make the most of it: in a generation or so, some of your childrens' children will need to know how to tackle the battle of addiction.

It is happening now- look at the drunks and drug addicts walking around the same streets where the up helly-aa festival happens.

How many of you who have made comments about the 'Papa stour project' have actually been there? Although I agree with some of what has been written it is obvious that some of you just don't have a scooby what your talking about.

A lot of the problems in shetland lie firmly with CADDSS. They just want to have lots of people on their books which gives the appearnce that all these overpaid drugs counsellors are doing a good job when in actaull fact they are doing very little for any body other than get people stuck on methadone. The biggest drugs menace in Shetland are the so called 'drugs councellors'.

There's no such thing as a reduction programme on these islands, it's flippin scandalous!

At least Papa Stour offered hope and if approached the right way changed lives in ways that CADDSS never, ever will.