Ex Chief Exec - Dave Clark

Twerto

^^Anything that gets the contents of the Town Hall running in every ert idda lift is good, I'm not fussy who or what does it, just so long as it gets done quickly. :twisted:

Its not often I'm in full agreement with the Times' Editorial, but they've hit the nail squarely on the head this week.

http://www.shetlandtimes.co.uk/2010/02/26/editorial-the-old-rock-26-02-10

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a bit confused and hope that some of you better informed Shetlinkers can enlighten me.

This saga involving David Clark (DC)(former Chief Executive), the Shetland Islands Council, various newspapers(both local and national) police investigations, internet forums, blogs, social networking sites, local gossip. etc. etc.etc...........has become immersed in twisted truths, half truths, untruths and downright lies, although these are still subject to litigation and have yet to join the truth family.

Now my problem is a statement Sandy Cluness(SC) made on Radio Shetland on Friday night 26/2/10 when he said that he had neither seen nor spoken to his, now former Chief Executive, David Clark since before Up Helly Aa.(UHA)

Now this statement poses some very interesting questions.

1. Was DC at the Town Hall reception for the Jarl Squad on Up Helly Aa day. As the senior council official he would have been expected to be in attendance and SC would certainly have been there in his position as convener. ? If they were both there why did SC at least not see DC.

2. Was the holiday which DC went on immediately after UHA prearranged.? If not, who authorized it at short notice,.

3. If not agreed previously did the person who authorized this holiday discuss the reasons for granting this holiday with DC prior to doing so? If not .Why not? This is normal practice in any organisation.

4. Who was DC's line manager?

5. If as SC states he has not met or spoken to DC since before UHA is this a case of "the tail wagging the dog" ?

I hope that some of you out there can explain this to me and drag SC out of the rabbit hole into which he has fallen and been trapped by the Mad Hatter ( guess who).

As best as I recall, SIBC reported as follows at the time:

1. DC and partner were in attendance at the TH reception for the Jarl Squad UHA day morning, as was SC who was doing his usual speil for the occasion. Immediately after the reception SC instructed DC to "clear his desk".

Technically that was "before UHA" as it occured before "the" event, although the fact it was part way through the day itself and the preparatory formalities were part complete, its splitting hairs and open to a certain level of debate regarding the definition of what exactly constitutes "UHA".

2. It was inferred, rather than stated that it wasn't prearranged. The "Clear you desk" instruction from SC was given as the "authorisation".

3. Well, unless "clear your desk" constitutes a "discussion".....

4. Haven't a clue.

5. Heh, heh, heh.....

P.S. I was not at the TH for the reception, and like most human memory, mine may not be infallable, but the above is to the best of my recollection as heard spoken by IJDA on SIBC. E&OE. :wink:

^^^^^^^^ Thanks for your excellent reply Ghostrider.

That was my memory of what happened on Up Helly Aa day but when I looked for evidence the first I could find stating that he was on leave again was the following Monday,almost a week later.This conundrum poses more questions.

1. If he really did "clear his desk" on UHA day how did the council keep a lid on it for almost a week?

2. If the desk clearing happened nearer to the date of the first published report then surely Sandy Cluness must have had a conversation with him (post UHA) even if it was only to say "my lawyers will be in touch with your lawyers".

I know this seems a bit pedantic but I think that it is important that an accurate timeline of events relating to this matter is established, so that when the truth, or as near the truth as we are permitted, is revealed, the guilty parties in this sorry saga cannot hide behind obfuscation.

The truth is that no-one knows whether Dave Clark would have made a go of the job or not, as he wasn't in position long enough for his professional actions to reveal this. His face simply didn't fit.

Mattie's comment on Dr. Will's most recent contribution to the Times is bang-on. The letter was nasty, unnecessary and unbecoming of a councillor (a description which has characterised his behaviour throughout this tawdry affair).

Well Said Mr North!!

As best as I recall, SIBC reported as follows at the time:

1. DC and partner were in attendance at the TH reception for the Jarl Squad UHA day morning, as was SC who was doing his usual speil for the occasion. Immediately after the reception SC instructed DC to "clear his desk". :wink:

As not much has been said about any of this, I had personally assumed (rightly or wrongly) that Sanjay had experienced a 'blistering red moment' when DC & JM turned up and immediately after the ceremonies were over gave DC the 'clear your desk' instruction.

That was enough then for DC to seriously think of 'wealth accumulation'. :wink:

"Mattie's comment on Dr. Will's most recent contribution to the Times is bang-on. The letter was nasty, unnecessary and unbecoming of a councillor (a description which has characterised his behaviour throughout this tawdry affair)."

I have not read Wills's comments in the, "Times." So I cannot give a view on them

Could someone please point me to them?

I think that certain people here are trying to villify Wills. If he had not been here, what would have happened to this ridiculous affair? We already know that the complaints by other councillors had been buried and we were left in the state of councillors, hearing nowt, saying nowt and seeing nowt.

I keep on saying councillors but I am beginning to think that there is maybe a certain council clique that rehearse the meetings.

Villifications should be heaped on the councillors that didn't stand up for the taxpayers. Who allowed their complaints to be shelved.

Throughout history we have examples of people that have stood up and taken on wrongdoings against the odds.

Afterwards we call then heroes.

Before anyone jumps on me for that statement, the heroes that I meant were the ones in the past.

In the problem that we have here, there are no heroes and that includes us the voters.

The next vote for the councillors should be, who is the best man/woman for the job, WETHER WE LIKE THEM OR NOT.

None of this nepotic, I'm voting for this person because, my Uncle had a dog that came from a litter that was owned by Mugabe's Grandma. It was the best dog that I've ever seen and it was given to my Uncle by the man I'm voting for.

"

I'm sure that when or if the councillors resign Mr Wills will join them.

He would however be a fool to do it first as you can't always trust councillors to be honest in their dealings.

"People blame me for mourning the death of my friend.

They say my country should be preferred to my friends, as if they had proved that killing him was good for the state. I did not abandon him as a friend however much I disapproved of what he was doing."

Gaius Matius.

Regards.

I'm not sure that Wills latest letter is available online but I have to agree with the comments criticising it. I am a strong supporter of Jonathan Wills but his letter to the Shetland Times on Friday was really childish and unnecessary. (It was a letter offering to write a reference for Mr Clark). It did him (Wills) absolutely no favours as it just reduced the matter to playground name-calling when the issues at stake are much, much more serious.

aa,

Thanks for that.

Little wonder that I couldn't find it on "THE TIMES," website.

If Wills did write that then it was stupid of him, it also puts the above quote by Gaius Matius in a different light. I meant it as a reason, to put aside dislike/like, when voting for a person.

How strange that I chose that quote!

Regards.

LOL @ Ghostrider, was reading the letters earlier and it made me chuckle.

This latest letter from JW is ridiculous - if indeed he did send it?

Said before I'm not a JW fan, I also said I didn't believe that he was the type of person to bluntly lie about the alleged threatening phone call.

Ultimately this comes down to integrity, JW vs DC, and who was telling the truth. Ignoring all this mud slinging, lets see how the fiscal views things.

^^ I'm thinking I'm going to print out Brian's letter, laminate it, frame it and hang it on my wall. I'll have to include it in my CV as well, its not everyday that an anonymous Shetlink nick gets mentioned in the same breath as a former head of Radio Shetland/former Times editor/former Orkney & Shetland Parlamentary Candidate/SIC Councillor by a person of such standing as Mr Smith. :wink: