Disabled/Parent-child Parking issues

bexyJo

Found it in my e archive, the recycle archive had bin collected.

The South Ribble councillor noticed a large number of bays were taken up by drivers without blue badges when he visited the Towngate store on Friday.

He asked a member of staff if anything could be done but was told the rules were not enforceable.

He was referred to the customer services department at head office who repeated the advice.

The Walton-le-Dale councillor who lives in Lostock Hall, near Preston, said: “They said they can’t enforce it due to ‘the customer not entering into a contract with Tesco.’â€

“It was very, very strange and I couldn’t understand it to tell you the truth. They’ve just gone through the motions of putting the disabled parking spaces there.

“It’s just a pointless exercise.

“If they’re not going to do it, just come clean and say they’re not providing facilities for disabled people.â€

http://www.lep.co.uk/community/disabled_drivers_lose_out_in_parking_battle_1_3682736

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The man in the LEF van that parked up in the vacant and clearly marked disabled bay outside RBS, on the Street, around 11.00 am on Friday, should be very proud of himself. I saw three elderly disabled drivers looking for a space, in vain, while waiting in the doorway, out of the rain for my lift. I also saw an elderly lady on two canes, who I'd seen in one of the cars, forced to walk up the street to the bank and back again in the rain, presumably from a space on the front, or at the Cross.

He knew what he was doing alright. These bays are legally enforceable. Pity...

Well done, mate! You're a top bloke.

The man in the LEF van that parked up in the vacant and clearly marked disabled bay outside RBS, on the Street, around 11.00 am on Friday, should be very proud of himself. I saw three elderly disabled drivers looking for a space, in vain, while waiting in the doorway, out of the rain for my lift. I also saw an elderly lady on two canes, who I'd seen in one of the cars, forced to walk up the street to the bank and back again in the rain, presumably from a space on the front, or at the Cross.

He knew what he was doing alright. These bays are legally enforceable. Pity...

Well done, mate! You're a top bloke.

I assume you must have been waiting for quite sometime. Did you not think to just ask him politely to move on?

? :? ?

He wasn't sitting in the van, he parked it and walked off.

As for how long I was waiting, just over 10 minutes. I've noticed before there's a lot of older folk on the Street some Thursdays I've been down there. Don't know if it's pension day or not, or maybe it was just a coincidence there was the three cars all looking for a disabled space, just where they are actually provided?

It was still there when my wife picked me up anyway, because she commented on it, as we both have since Tall Ships. The other space was occupied by a badge holder, because I checked.

Am I somehow being held to blame for this guy's deliberate action then? :?

I arrived at work one morning at 8.40 right in the heart of the tall ships week to see a van parked in the disabled space outside the LTSB, it had no disabled badge. The police appeared at 12 and started writing a fine when low and behold who came running out of the adjacent building to try and stop them but [*** mod edit - name removed ***]! One of the event organisers! If he had parked briefly in order to drop off or collect something then ok but this was 3 and a half hours later and he only moved because he had to. I was pretty disappointed to see this.

A couple of years ago a few of us planned to set up a 'Shetland Baywatch' group and guard the various {few} Disabled parking spaces in Lerwick.

Sadly, one lass passed away and we never got round to it :(

I am fed up with the number of selfish, thoughtless lazy people who have good working legs/lungs/etc using disabled spaces, blocking the bits of dropped kerb at Tollclock {now marked with yellow lines - but folk just zoom in & park on top of them regardless!} and parking outside the Bank of Scotland after 11.30am- If their eyesight is so bad they canna read the 'No Vehicles except for disabled' sign at the Cross they shouldna be driving!

Baywatch anyone??

Was the person in the vehicle the same as the one on the blue badge?

There is increasing concern about fraud where folk use the badge to park but do not have the person the badge is for with them, at any stage of the journey.

If you think there has been a breach of law should you have not taken the reg and reported it? Ahh, but what good will it do? The more folk do these sorts of things the better our lives would be surly? You are part of a community as is everyone else, why would folk let other folk get a way with it?

No bottle. Cowards, frightened of repercussions?

Or

Not REALLY bothered.

One of my dreams for when I win the lottery (so I guess it will remain a dream) is to hire a load of tough looking guys to stand behind cars parked in disabled/mother and child parking bays when they ought not to be and to keep the offender "prisoner" for at least 10 minutes.
hahaha that's funny. i park in the mother and children space somtimes but not since a woman shouted at me for it..... i thought id be ok since it was 10.30 pm and wouldnt of thought there would be many under 5yr olds up at that time??

then again give some people an inch and they will take a mile.

Was the person in the vehicle the same as the one on the blue badge?

There is increasing concern about fraud where folk use the badge to park but do not have the person the badge is for with them, at any stage of the journey.

If you think there has been a breach of law should you have not taken the reg and reported it? Ahh, but what good will it do? The more folk do these sorts of things the better our lives would be surly? You are part of a community as is everyone else, why would folk let other folk get a way with it?

No bottle. Cowards, frightened of repercussions?

Or

Not REALLY bothered.

[*** Mod edit - insult removed ***]

There is a requirement in Scots Law for corroboration. As I was on my own when I saw this, my taking the registration number and passing it on (of a works vehicle at that) would, at best, achieve taking away a minimum two

cops from other tasks to go and ask who was driving, then ask them if they parked there at that time. If they say no, end of. No further it can go,

unless you want them to check CCTV for something like this, in which case, is this REALLY what a quarter million was spent on? Do you think the people of Shetland would be happy at this use of a public cctv system, or of their local cops at a time of cuts and likely amalgamation? Or at ANY time, come to that! And does it make our streets safer or community better? I would say not. Is this what YOU do, wherever YOU live? If so, I'm glad I'm not there.

[*** Mod edit - insults removed ***]

Oh, by the way, I never saw the driver of the other vehicle. I DID see the driver of the works van. Sorry, I lost Derek Acorah's number, or I'd gave called him to ask Sam if the other guy was, indeed, disabled, or on the fiddle. But then, I could also have reported the 2nd one on Derek's say so, I suppose... Gosh, what a lazy coward I am... :roll:

SP I agree with you here!

Scoots, you have complained on this forum before about this very issue. So why in gods name if you can be bothered to log on and willing to name a company van on here did you not just politely ask the person to move on and park elsewhere??

Thats basically my point, read into it what you want.....next you'll be saying that he ran the 200m quicker than Usain Bolt and you couldn't catch him! :wink:

quote] hahaha that's funny. i park in the mother and children space somtimes but not since a woman shouted at me for it..... i thought id be ok since it was 10.30 pm and wouldnt of thought there would be many under 5yr olds up at that time??

then again give some people an inch and they will take a mile.

If I go to Tesco before 8am or after 9pm then I park in those spaces, anytime in between I respect that they are needed for their intended purpose, for parents with under 5's. I'm not gona be discriminated against because i don't have a child if i turn up at the times stated above :wink:

As for parking in disabled spaces, if you see someone do it and you are aware they have no right to then politely make them aware, if you are not confident in doing so then call the police, simple as.