Scrap cars on Shetland

bradgate5

Having visited Shetland a few times now, I began to notice the high number of scrap cars, trucks etc around the islands. The last time I was there I stayed in Sandwick, South Mainland which seems especially plagued with abandoned wrecks.

I emailed SIC who kindly passed my enquiry on to Mick Clifford (see below). He wrote back immediatley to say any registered owner can ask the Shetland Amenity Trust to dispose of a scrap car for FREE. I think that's a great service and would encourage anyone who wants to dispose of their old scrapper to contact them. :D

Mick Clifton

Project Officer - Environment

Shetland Amenity Trust, Garthspool,

Lerwick, Shetland, ZE1 0NY

Tel: (01595) 694688

I can assure there are a lot fewer scrapped around now, thanks to the Amenity Trust! Apart from inertia there are a lot of reasons for keeping old vehicles. There is the obvious supply of spare parts that might come in useful or the vehicle might be used as a store, a shelter for your teabreak at the peat hill or a greenhouse. Shetlanders had nothing so nothing was thrown away if it was possible to make use of it.

because its a rusting hunk of metal and the wife wants a nice new shed. but im happy to wait for it to rust away a bit more its a lot cheaper than a 10x 30 shed. is there any way of cutting up a old farm trailer without getting proper cutting gear. as can be seen im tight.

because its a rusting hunk of metal and the wife wants a nice new shed. but im happy to wait for it to rust away a bit more its a lot cheaper than a 10x 30 shed. is there any way of cutting up a old farm trailer without getting proper cutting gear. as can be seen im tight.

Scrap the wife?! Shipping containers can be bought cheaper than a new shed, but tend to have the same problems with rust after a while. What size of trailer? Could a tractor drag it to within reach of the amenity trust crane?

no the trailer is a complete heap the wheels have rusted off. i think i will keep the wife she is not that rusty yet. same problem with a container it would be impossable to get it down the drive.

A tractor of any reasonable size will still be able to tow it though, I've towed the "C" Iron chassis of an old 1940's Ford van with a V8 engine and gearbox complete still attached, just flat on the end of a rope over the ground and uphill with a standard 40hp 2WD tractor with only minimal difficulty. A trailer, unless its huge has to be considerably lighter than that. Okay, it left a couple a marks on the ground about 2-3" deep, but those soon closed back in.

Anyone know if the load of scrappers around Sandwick, especially near the nursery, are still there? There was even one at the top of Sandwick beach on my last holiday!

They are dangerous for the kids, and someone - no doubt kids - had smashed the windows and left a mess of 'safety glass' all around.