Printer Service

Romeo

I have a nasty feeling that these days, you don't get a printer serviced - you just buy a new one. Like if you are daft enough to buy a Lexmark printer, when the ink runs out you buy a new printer as the cartridge costs more than the printer. Carbon footprints anyone?

Or you learn what components you need from ebay and get them ridiculously cheap?

It's only a blocked nozzle but I can't shift it for the life of me, tried all the usual tricks and nothing's working. 5 of the 6 are printing fine but one became blocked somehow during a print run.

It is under warranty but I thought I'd try and get it done locally before having to send it back as I need it back asap.

Thanks for the replies :-)

In order to do that, Michael, you need to have a techie-savvy teenage son such as yourself on tap. Once the said much-loved geek has cleared off to uni, you are back, as paulb observed, to paying more for the repair than it's worth :x

You could get your son to do it, and then post them to you, would probably still be far cheaper. That's if he is willing of course :P

Good luck to whoever you take it to. Epson printheads are a nightmare to work with. If soaking the printhead in a solution of Isopropyl Alcohol over night doesn't shift it then very little will.

What model of printer is it? If it is one of the cheaper models then you are probably better off just replacing it or sending it back under warranty.

P.S. I recommend a Canon next time. :)

Epson printheads are a nightmare to work with.

P.S. I recommend a Canon next time. :)

That's interesting. I bought an Epson 'state-of-the-art' printer for doing photos in 04 - it lasted about 3½ years on usage which could in no way be described as heavy and then took to putting a 1cm white strip along the edge of everything which the most valiant efforts of my clever-at-these things-but-now-left-home son could do nothing to shift. Being old and old-fashioned, I thought 3½ years was not enough return for what I had spent on it.

So it went in the bin and was replaced by a Canon MP610 which has been absolutely great apart from a rogue black cartridge this last while, which kept proclaiming itself to be 'non-recognisable'. I put up with the nuisance with a combination of lighter fluid, baby buds and swearing until I had used half the ink - then I gave up and put in a new cartridge and it's OK so far...