Firth and North Roe

Longdog

Firth does get a bad name but its a Shetland thing to have a "bad boy" to blame for everything. Ive stayed there on 3 different occaisions and never had a minutes bother wi anybody. There are a very small number of hoodlems fair enough , but no more n no worse as anywhere else, there is no comparisons whatsoever between rural Shetland and town/city life, its a stroll in the park here wherever you end up

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it was me, there is no competition between da two. Would move tae North Roe without a doubt. And I wid never live in Firth, I keen o folk there that I wouldn't want any form of association with, including them living near my family. Its agreed you get these sort o folk most places you go, but in Firth, there are more, and they are worse.

Saying that there are some very, very fine folk that live there!

North Roe is a beautiful place with a fantastic community spirit and an excellent place to visit. The choice between these two, North Roe for me, but granted its not everyones choice. Thats just one opinion :)

bein a native i wid tend to agree , but bear in mind this is somebody moving here from an urban/suburban environment which will be so totally different from Shetland as a whole, also commuting to LK, ive lived in Grangetown Cardiff, Pilton Edinburgh and N.Ireland, believe me , Firt is not that bad at all, there is a few young fules, but easy enough to not get involved wi them

I was born and brought up in North Roe and it really is a lovely place for young kids. I think it depends on how long you plan on staying though because by the time me and my siblings were teenagers North Roe was very restrictive and in the end my parents had to give in and move to Brae. North Roe is definitely very safe and I would have no problems letting young kids run off on their own to play in the playparks, maybe more of an issue in firth because there is a busier road and more cars.

On the firth side, definitely public transport is much better. Really if you get the bus from North Roe you have to stay in Lerwick for the full 9-5 so going from Mossbank there are a lot more time options which is much better so you dont have to walk about in the rain all day with a little one.

Have you considered private renting? Also to pick up on an earlier point....if your wife is going to be working with the health board I think they still have some properties in Lerwick for staff moving up from South, just might be worth asking.

Hope I helped

Yeh, just to make it clear I was only after advise on the practicalities of each place; transport, community stuff etc , definitely not putting one place up against the other.

Other areas may be offered to us but the other day they were the only two locations they said there were vacancies.

My wife is going to try to chase up the housing allocation with her future bosses and housing today. We've been keeping an eye out for private rented places on in the Shetland News, Times and Solicitors websites but doesn't seem to be much available, only 1 bed flats or expensive short term winter lets.

Thanks for everyones inputs, lots of food for thought.

Kev

Firth. the place one can have all there car vandalised, twice in the space of 6 weeks, pets being injured A convicted drug dealer being moved in, a sex offender as well . if you have any kids don’t bring them to the firth area better to be safe than sorry. And before anyone complains about the above statement I’m talking from personal experience of the area. And the few of the good Neighbours. Have been complaining to the police and the council over the past 6 months. And both have been a waste of there time. And they cant get a move fast enough

spinner is being nice adout firth. there are issues there.

Feel free to point them out. I've been looking for nearly 6 years now and can't find any (other than positives) :wink:

i don't wish to put them off by being negative. but there are issues with youth behaviour and drink but that was our experiance everyone elses is diffrent. the main pain that we had to deal with has shifted so it would be better.

Yeh, just to make it clear I was only after advise on the practicalities of each place; transport, community stuff etc , definitely not putting one place up against the other.

Other areas may be offered to us but the other day they were the only two locations they said there were vacancies.

My wife is going to try to chase up the housing allocation with her future bosses and housing today. We've been keeping an eye out for private rented places on in the Shetland News, Times and Solicitors websites but doesn't seem to be much available, only 1 bed flats or expensive short term winter lets.

Thanks for everyones inputs, lots of food for thought.

Kev

Enquire about private accommodation, because everyone knows everyone here then there is sometimes very little point in adverising their private rents because they know someone interested.

to throw more names into "the pot", Moorfied Brae, 10 times worse as anything am aware of in Firth, but, of course theres those who love Brae, its ony 1 opinion but theres fules in nearly every estate n contrary to the general opinion Firt is really quite ok , like i say, all my neighbours are great neighbours

Every Council or Housing Association estate/scheme/street/road has its resident jackass or three. Folk are moving out/in all the time, if there isn't one (or three) wherever you choose right now, there probably will be in six months or a year. The only way to minimise having to put up with it is to choose the smaller rural developments, but the flip side is, *if* someone objectionable ends up there too it feels considerably worse, as keeping a distance and having more distractions aren't options.

The only way to avoid it completely is to rent private and get a place at least 100 metres from your nearest neighbour.

Yes, certainly some estates get a "bad name" from time to time, but nothing stays static, things and people move on and that changes again.