Why Can't The Kids In The Sandpit Behave?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Me, and a few others have posted messages asking for good sense, and good will, in posts on Shetlink over the festive season.

But still the silly/nasty posts come which require the mods to leave their rest.

Shetland News declared a holiday. The Shetland Times is only reporting sensible news, so why to hell are some Shetlinkers still hell bent on regurgitating the same old hellery?

Maybe the next time that the Shetland Dictionary is published, there will be a new entry:

Shetlinker - Member of the Shetlink online community. (Also, a person who can only speak ill of Shetland)

:roll:

Ach well; so it goes in the land of Internet forums. Not worth getting upset over. Many thanks to those who are being considerate and sensible; fortunately you are in the majority.

Don't let the vociferous and unthinking few spoil what is, in the main, an excellent community of intelligent and sensible people. ;)

The bit that always befuddles me about people who ignore the Terms and Conditions of any online community, is that they are basically disagreeing with themselves.

When you sogn up for an account, you state that you agree to the terms and conditions, terms of service, or whatever moniker said site uses for its rules.

Therefore if you challenge these at any time, you are also challenging your own opinion. There is no requirement to agree with anything you don't, just don't sign up. There's no such thing as free speech in a private community.

We get a lot of it on the games sites this time of year too, "'tis the season to be ignorant" it seems..

?

Maybe the next time that the Shetland Dictionary is published, there will be a new entry:

Shetlinker - Member of the Shetlink online community. (Also, a person who can only speak ill of Shetland)

:roll:

Shetlinker - 98% Incomer/sooth moother!

I think that would be a better description.

You being an absolute 100% thoroughbred Shetlander of course ;) It's nice to know Shetland is such a friendly welcoming place! Thank you though for helping to tip the balance to 2% ..

Don't let the vociferous and unthinking few spoil what is, in the main, an excellent community of intelligent and sensible people. ;)

Hear hear! Not to roll out the 'official line' yet again but this online community can only be what folk put into it! It was designed to allow those wanting to be involved to "share information, share resources and communicate ideas". A huge thank you to all users who are making Shetlink, for the majority, a great online place to hang out, have a yarn, and catch up on important topics affecting us all.

Cheers,

trout

?

It's amazing when the going get tough with all Council going-ons.

You have to blame the Sooth Moothers gossiping on your homeland site!!

Get real if the Shetland Population hadn't voted these people in in the first place. Then you wouldn't have the problems you are having now.

Sooth Moother is a derogatory term and conforms with a hatred of people off the British mainland.

I am not a Sooth Moother and have been brought up in Shetland.

Shetland isn't Royston Vasey anymore!!

I think that would be a better description.

really? Wow.

I keep on hearing this one.

Mainly fae folk who don't fit into the definition of "shetlander" that was battered into me when I was at school.

Thing is most of the folk I ken on Shetlink, not only were born up here, have at least 2 shetland grandparents and most importantly have the correct surnames. But I realise some folk are a peerie bit more exact and expect more inbreeding.

Guest Anonymous

^^^^

I'm beat as well.

But this thread kinda proves my point. Shetlinkers just can't stop being nasty, it's obviously just a natural way to behave.

Just the same as certain nasty individuals keep bringing up the "Soothmoother" term in an attempt to hid the fact that the "Shetlanders" are the real bad apples in the barrel.

Shetlink is getting to be too much like the council now, just filled with nasty sods who spend all their time bitchin at each other.

It just ain't a nice place to be anymore. :(

Time to follow many others and delete Shetlink from my favourite list.

Sooth Moother is a derogatory term and conforms with a hatred of people off the British mainland.

From the Shetland Dictionary (first published 1979) - Sooth-moother (n) an incomer to Shetland.

Not quite sure what you find derogatory about a word that describes someone that has moved to, or is visiting the Shetland Isles.