Help on offer for expectant mums

paulb

just a quick note that the service offered on the Shetland news site needs some thought.

helping mums to be to prepare to give birth is fine. so is general advice post birth. but the web site seems to say under her services that she will be actively involved at the birth.

this is not allowed the only person that can help during a birth is a midwife.

also this lady is not trained in complications so if you use her services please also listen to your midwife.

this could be an excellent additional support for a mum to be.

hope this dose not sound like that I'm picking on her.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having just scanned her website briefly it does state in there that she isnt a medically trained professional..I quote.

"A doula is not medically trained and does not replace a doctor or a midwife. They do not do any tests, examinations or deliver babies. They offer only basic advice and will provide you with as much information about subjects as she can, so you can make your own decisions."

So I dont think shes trying to say otherwise.

Doulas are gaining popularity in the UK now and have been used in the states for years, I figure this is down to the over stretched health service where one on one support from a midwife is more or less unheard of these days.

She states

Emotional and physical support during the birth including help with positioning and basic massage techniques

A doula is widely used in many countries and has been for hundreds of years. a great source of firsthand practical knowledge and support for a woman during the pregnancy, birth and post birth period. Especially during the birth (as a person authorised by the labouring woman to act as her interpreter with the midwife - (a position of huge trust) if a womans partner does not want or cannot be there, and no mother/sister/aunt figure is suitable or available.

At no point does she claim to be qualified as a midwife nor does she offer to supervise the birth or that her sevices are instead of the midwife.

I think she would be a great help to any single women during pregnancy and birth, I'm lucky I have an excellent partner who didn't miss a scan, mid wife appointment, ante natal class and of course the birth. I can't imagine going through any of it alone and would feel for any one who has to.

the only person that can help during a birth is a midwife

Utter rubbish.

no its not if you wife refused medical/midwife help and you were to help with the birthing you commit a crime.

i repeat i was not having a dig. there are a few concerns on the maternity ward. but if its just support then thats fine.

Birth Without Midwives

It is perfectly legal to give birth alone, unassisted - ie with no midwife in attendance - whether this was accidental, or deliberate. Some women choose this option because they cannot get the sort of non-intrusive, supportive midwifery care they require. For others, giving birth unassisted is a positive choice which they believe to be best for them and their babies. I do not wish to either promote or condemn planned unassisted birth; the aim of this section is simply to inform. For links to sites advocating unassisted birth, see [6] below.

It is illegal for anyone other than a UK registered midwife or doctor to 'attend' a woman in labour except in an emergency. This means that if it can be proved that the birth partner intended to act as a midwife, he (or she, but 'he' is used here for simplicity) may be prosecuted. The birth partner may even be liable to prosecution if he was present at the baby's birth, even if he was in another room at the time. Some have suggested that 'present' means in the same room, but it could be interpreted as 'nearby'.

In the one case in recent years where such a prosecution has been successful, the baby's father, Brian Radley, had stated explicitly to the health authorities that he intended to act as a midwife for the birth, and this statement of intent helped the prosecution's case. His wife was told by the health authority that, if she called a midwife, the midwife would arrive and immediately call an ambulance to take her to hospital. Mrs Radley had vowed never to enter the hospital again after she received poor treatment during there when having her first baby. Given the health authority's unsupportive attitude, the Radleys felt that conducting the birth themselves was their best option. Brian Radley was fined £500, but his fine was paid by a doctor who was appalled at the way this couple had been treated by the medical profession. [7]

Paulb; you said that 'the only person that can help during a birth is a midwife' which is untrue. You can fire random snippets of text at me, but it doesn't change the fact that your statement is just plain wrong. I'm not debating the need for a midwife, or the usefulness thereof, but the raw fallacy of the statement you made.

I was able to cut the cord of my baby, pass the gas and air to my wife, etc. This is helping, no?

sorry your right of course you can perform those acts under the supervision of midwife or doctor.

to act as a midwife except in an emergincy is unlawful.

according to the

Nurses, Midwives and Health Visitors Act 1997

16 Attendance by unqualified persons at childbirth (1) A person other than a registered midwife or a registered medical practitioner shall not attend a woman in childbirth.

(2) Subsection (1) does not apply—

(a) where the attention is given in a case of sudden or urgent necessity; or

(B) in the case of a person who, while undergoing training with a view to becoming a medical practitioner or to becoming a midwife, attends a woman in childbirth as part of a course of practical instruction in midwifery recognised by the General Medical Council or one of the National Boards.

(3) A person who contravenes subsection (1) shall be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding level 4 on the standard scale.

however if she is only acting in a support role then that is fine. i bet there are lots of mums who would like that kind of support.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8389306.stm

the doctor in this report comes out against them. from the 7 birth that we had we had very good care in six and rubbish in the other. so if there role was as a advisor then that would be useful.

Hi there. I am the person in question who is starting the doula service. I just thought I'd let you know a little bit more about what it is that I hope to do. As you probably already know. A doula is not medically trained and does not replace a doctor or midwife. The training I am doing does involve the physiology of pregnancy and birth, what happens to the mother and baby before, during and after the birth, how breastfeeding works etc etc. This means that I would probably be a bit more knowledgable than most mums to be and their family. By having this understanding, as well as my own experiences, I feel that I can help women to have the birth that they want. I have the time to discuss all the womans hopes and fears and try and find ways of her to have the best experience possible. We can talk about pain releif and what she feels she would like to try, go through what usually happens during birth, assist her in making a birth plan etc. During the birth I can help her change position, massage her back or even just hold her hand and encourage her. I can also help to get baby into a routine, with feeding or a bit of housework and/or cooking to allow her to rest or enjoy time with her baby. As well as getting to know her and her needs before the birth, I will also be there throughout. Midwives may change shifts. The actual birth itself is actually just a small part of it. Women may feel scared about pregnancy and birth, especially first time mums and women who have had a bad experience. The biggest part of my job I think is to help make these people feel more confident and less worried. More relaxed women usually have easier labours than those who are tense and nervous. Once I get a bit more established I would like to have pages on my website including babies development in the womb, what happens during labour, advertisements and a photo page. Any ideas would be gratefully received.

Read the BBC report and can see mixed reviews on the perception of the role of a Doula.

Once hired she is there as the expectant mothers representative if the mother so chooses, to defend the mothers birth choices in the same way her partner would, at a time when the mother is in a very vulnerable physical and emotional state.

During pregnancy a doula will be able to offer information regarding birth choices, pain relief, positions for birth, how their plans may change if the birth becomes complicated and to inform a woman that it is fine to change options if circumstances change. That a birth that has medical intervention is NOT a failure, sometimes is necessary for the baby's and mothers safety. Her role is to allow the mother to make informed choices.

Whilst I have to say that Shetland has a midwifery service to be proud of, having used it, shortages of midwives and time contraints making 1-1 care nigh on impossible, a doula can act as the bridge between midwife and mother if all parties can work in partnership.

Having used southern midwifery as well, they are overstretched and under budgeted, women deliver is frantic delivery suites with 1 midwife watching up to 5 mothers, many of these women are left alone until point of delivery and there are many instances of even this being missed!

Maternal fear whilst labouring causes more delivery complications than medical complications do, these are usually discovered much earlier in a pregnancy and managed accordingly. A doula by her presence alone can lower that fear barrier and promote a safer delivery.

I have experienced bullying by medical staff (not here, I have to add) often because the mothers choice doesn't fit with the current trend employed by the midwifery service. ie A breech birth does not have to be a c section, but try getting a midwife to accept that a woman may choose to attempt a vaginal delivery before agreeing to go under the knife! Usually given a rundown of horror stories about how it most often goes wrong, (not true), just most midwives have never attended a breech birth and fill the mother with their own fear.

Post delivery a doula is far more likely to spot the onset of PND than most too.

Paulb, I respectfully suggest you gain a lot more knowledge of the subject before you dive in at the deep end. Whilst I accept your comments stating that a doula acting a support for mum can be positive, I point out it can be so much more. If the maternity department have concerns I suggest they try talking to doulas.

I was delighted to hear about this, well done, it was something I enquired about training for a couple of years ago but circumstances didn't work for me.

Having been present at a few homebirths before I had my first daughter and being surrounded by older women who had been through pregnancy experiences and birth when I was expecting was a huge security and confidence boost to me. It is a huge service to women especially those who may not have a big family base in Shetland or younger Mums.

Good Luck with it all :)