Which Vet?

Have just moved up and as the dog has been gleefully eating all the sheep/rabbit/whatever else poop he can find on his walks (delightful creature!) I reckon I ought to get him to a vet to get him wormed etc fairly soon. Not sure which one to register with though - it makes very little difference if I go the westside or lerwick ones, so was just wondering if anyone could recommend either of them, or if they're much of a muchness?

(***Mod Edit - Moved to Consumer Advice & Resources***)

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We now use the lerwick vet for reasons of our own, the vet I saw was very good and made a point of making friends with my dog, and sorted the long term problem I went with, in and emergency, I don't think any vet would refuse to treat an animal, it might cost more if you're not registered with them but for me it wouldn't matter, you do the best for your pets or why have them.

I checked out the vets before we moved up here as we have two Shar Pei and not all vets are familiar with the breed. We use Westside Vets. Shar Pei tend not to respond well to the normal, run of the mill worming products that are on the market (such as Drontal) and were quite happy to order in a less well known product.

As we're down in Virkie and it is not always easy to get there for repeat prescriptions (one of our dogs is a rescue dog with health problems, the other is just young and stupid with no health problems), they have sent prescriptions in the post (when we couldn't get there due to snow just before Xmas). I must say, the vet charges are a pleasant surprise compared with London!

I think it depends on the breed of dog that you have got and if it has any specific health problems. Why not go along to both Lerwick and Scalloway/Bixter and ascertain what facilities they have, etc?

I hiv used all 3 vets on different occasions ower da years we various pets but wid choose Scalloway or Bixter ower LK anytime. I hiv been given incorrect dosages of worming tablets and idder medicines at da LK vet on 3 occasions (that i know of!) and fin da Scalloway and Bixter vets much friendlier overall. Both Scalloway and Bixter hiv also been able to see my pets at short notice in an emergency when LK couldna.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been with Bixter vets for 20 plus years.

The vets there are fantastic and the nurses are all friendly and caring.

They have been so kind on the horrible occasions when our pets have reached the ends of their lives.

I would never go to any other vets.

www.northmavine.com

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I changed from the Lerwick Vets to Westside Vets[***Mod edit - Content removed. Shetlink is no place for anonymous defamatory rumour thanks***]. Over the years I have seen every vet at Westside - for emergencies and non-emergencies and they have been brilliant! I wouldn't dream of moving back to Lerwick, especially when I have seen how they treat their own dogs when out on a walk! And unlike an earlier entry from someone else, I have only ever needed their emergency call-out once and never had a problem getting a call back!