Help me with Kennel name....PLEASE

Quincy

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I CAN'T SEEM TO FIND A WAY TO MULTIQUOTE - UNLESS I COPY....

"Wirs" to me is the plural of "our". As in "yuns wirs" - "that's ours". It would be used to denote your place of recidence, yes, but as in "come to ours" - "cum ta wirs".

Onywy ...

OKAY AND THANKS

Maybe i've missed this at some point in the posts but is it a dog or a bitch you are naming? :)

YEP THE NAME IS FOR A KENNEL - BUT HAS TO HAVE THE NAME QUINCYS IN IT

^^ As I understand it the OP is wanting a name to register as a kennel/stud etc name, rather than as the name of one particular dog.

Maybe I picked it up wrong though

NO THAT IS THE CASE....:lol:

It will be the Kennel club name of that particular dog. You can have an 'everyday' name as well. Many years ago, our Chow was Chang of Rensdale but plain ol' Simba to us.
Hmmmmm - i'm not sure i understand what u mean :D

It will be the Kennel club name of that particular dog. You can have an 'everyday' name as well. Many years ago, our Chow was Chang of Rensdale but plain ol' Simba to us.

Used to be the case, certainly in the UK, that for the Kennel Club you registered a name for your pedigree dog but you would still have an ordinary name for your dog that you'd use every day as well. Perhaps different where you are. Posh name & everyday name. :)

Edit: Think OP is asking for one name only - the Kennel Club name - but I may well be wrong in which case, sorry!

Used to be the case, certainly in the UK, that for the Kennel Club you registered a name for your pedigree dog but you would still have an ordinary name for your dog that you'd use every day as well. Perhaps different where you are. Posh name & everyday name. :)

Edit: Think OP is asking for one name only - the Kennel Club name - but I may well be wrong in which case, sorry!

OKAY :D No it is the same here - Quincys Pedigree name is Capstone Medicineman fram a kennel named Capstone - and we call him Quincy as the "medicineman" Jack Klugman - remember that show :lol:

What beautiful dogs. Above my desk there is a very similar photo of my black one - who collided with an older, grumpier collie and died of the resultant bite in Weisdale just before I went off to university in October 1970. He was called Lerry after Lerwick - not very good.

But wir cat fae Sound is ca'ed Filska and that's a fine name - means a bit of spirit, a bit awkward, a bit bolshie - just like her owner...

I think the old Shetland word for dog is "hund". Kennel Quincy's Hund Micko?.

I've also seen somewhere the old Shetland word "hjarta" which I think means "heartfelt/beloved wishes". Kennel Quincy's Hjarta Micko?.

Not sure if they "work though":(

:)

:lol: Hund is how we say dog in Danish - so it is not so good...... :D and Hjarta sounds like a heart in Swedish danish together.....but thanks a lot for trying...

What beautiful dogs. Above my desk there is a very similar photo of my black one - who collided with an older, grumpier collie and died of the resultant bite in Weisdale just before I went off to university in October 1970. He was called Lerry after Lerwick - not very good.

But wir cat fae Sound is ca'ed Filska and that's a fine name - means a bit of spirit, a bit awkward, a bit bolshie - just like her owner...

:lol: :D U cat got a great name - sorry u dog died...it is always a great sorrow to loose an animal

I've looked into the Shetlandic etymological dictionary and picked up blindly some [odd] old words (probably all out of use), that are Shetlandic-only and weird enough to be used as spesific dog names (still depends whether it's a dog or bitch):

boki - ghost, bogey for frightening children

elfswind - elf-wind

emek - tabu term for fire

firfoder - four-footed one, sea tabu term for cat (cat and dog is almost the same isn't it? ;))

køllifirbølli - headlong

laven-lugged - having hanging ears

legviser - compass, guide

mukkelevi - sea-devil

njaffin - a little [naughty] child

plottisidna, plottisidni - a tabu term for swine (noone but you will be aware it's about swines!)

rodrastobb - a child/very small person, thickset little fellow

sulbrigda - basking shark

snippek - the snipe; a giddy girk

tuddek - tuft of wool

versmoia - tabu term for sister-in-law

But there's certainly more words like these in the dictionary, it's just a small fraction..

Going back a bit from John Graham's dictionary..........

Jakobsen has the word "vair" which means, excellent person, animal, or thing; a clever, energetic person, physically well developed - the best , the most prominent of a kind within a certain circle.

He/she was "da vair o' da isle" (he/she was the best, the cleverest and physically finest in the isle).

I believe the word "vire" (a great beauty) is derived from this.

Quincy Vair.........?

I've looked into the Shetlandic etymological dictionary and picked up blindly some [odd] old words (probably all out of use), that are Shetlandic-only and weird enough to be used as spesific dog names (still depends whether it's a dog or bitch):

boki - ghost, bogey for frightening children

elfswind - elf-wind

emek - tabu term for fire

firfoder - four-footed one, sea tabu term for cat (cat and dog is almost the same isn't it? ;))

køllifirbølli - headlong

laven-lugged - having hanging ears

legviser - compass, guide

mukkelevi - sea-devil

njaffin - a little [naughty] child

plottisidna, plottisidni - a tabu term for swine (noone but you will be aware it's about swines!)

rodrastobb - a child/very small person, thickset little fellow

sulbrigda - basking shark

snippek - the snipe; a giddy girk

tuddek - tuft of wool

versmoia - tabu term for sister-in-law

But there's certainly more words like these in the dictionary, it's just a small fraction..

Thanks a lot for the afford and the great ideas - But the name is for a Kennel and will be the dog/bitches pedigree name - a call name is different......

Thanks again :D :D

Going back a bit from John Graham's dictionary..........

Jakobsen has the word "vair" which means, excellent person, animal, or thing; a clever, energetic person, physically well developed - the best , the most prominent of a kind within a certain circle.

He/she was "da vair o' da isle" (he/she was the best, the cleverest and physically finest in the isle).

I believe the word "vire" (a great beauty) is derived from this.

Quincy Vair.........?

GREAT :lol: it sure does have a nice meaning - THANKS - i quite like the sound of it............

Thanks a lot for helping......

Quincys Vair :lol: