Shetland: my dream move

bill r

Yep, we moved here 2 months ago without a previous visit, though we had watched plenty of docs about the islands and read plenty too. We even brought a dog, a 2 year old and my mother (but she was just a temporary part of the inventory!)

If you're open to experiences, come with out expectations and think a holiday on some foreign beach is your idea of hell you'll love it 8)

Kennels are bad on the ferries but my old lass survived, dog was nice and cosy in the cabin :wink: :lol:

We've met some lovely people and love the place. Just wish I'd come sooner

8)

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you bring me up some proper northern pies when you come, decent black pudding too...

Go to the Globe butchers or the Olive Tree in the Toll Clock centre and ask for Stornoway black pudding. Not local but you canna beat it. In fact, try the Globe's pies while your there. They're not too bad.

Charlie's black pudding is the best. One of the reasons they've had to go for regional protection status, 'cause everyone was trying to pretend their black pudding was "stornoway recipe".

Pies i'm afraid are just different. Shetland doesn't seem to have the same baker tradition they have in other parts of scotland. Pies up here are very hit or miss.

Interesting to see that the basic ferry fare from Lerwick to Aberdeen is actually lower than the walk on single train fare from Aberdeen to Glasgow. Yes I know the cost of a cabin bumps up the boat fare but having a cabin is not compulsory with Northlink (unlike some other ferry operators).

i hearsya sha and thats what i`ll do

Good. I recommend Crawton Cottage :mrgreen:

Go on then, indulge me - where else do you recommend to stay?

http://www.pic4ever.com/images/www_MyEmoticons_com__fishing.gif

ehm :oops: What does indulge mean? (and the smiley or the leo.org translation don't help)

@Kavi: I don't see how anyone could complain about the travel link. I think they're great. Ok expensive but you have flights and ferrys everyday. Things other islands can only dream of!

The smiley is a fishing smiley in that Unlinkedstudent was fishing for an answer she already knew.

indulge

• verb 1 (indulge in) allow oneself to enjoy the pleasure of. 2 satisfy or yield freely to (a desire or interest). 3 allow (someone) to do or have something

Although in the context of the posts above I reckon she thought that you may already know she was fishing for the answer that she knew but wanted you to repeat it anyway thus highlighting you hadn't stayed in many places in Shetland.

Of course my Columbo like detective skills may be off but I certainly sensed a more confrontational edge to the post because of the word "indulge".

^^ Taggart would have done better. I'd had a couple of cans of beer and was mega tired after a somewhat sleepless 24 hour journey from England. I have speed read many threads catching up on what has happened during my week away. For all I know Sha may have stayed at a hotel on one of the outer islands or stayed elsewhere in Shetland after travelling in poo weather.