Where should the North Boat dock?  

447 members have voted

1. 1. Where should the North Boat dock?

• Aberdeen
    • Rosyth
    • Peterhead
    • Barbados

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/north_east/6395377.stm

Scottish fish processors are calling for a public inquiry after ferry services from Shetland were cancelled for most of last week.

They said they had been unable to transport their fresh fish supplies and claimed the cancellations had cost them thousands of pounds.

Bad weather meant the Northlink service from Shetland to Aberdeen failed to sail on most days last week.

Northlink said a very large swell and high winds made conditions unsafe.

However, Andrew Charles, an Aberdeen-based director of the Scottish Fish Processors' Association, said fish processors had been provided with a reliable service by the previous operator, P&O.

Northlink is due to meet Shetland processors for talks.

But Mr Charles said Northlink was funded by the taxpayer and therefore there should be an inquiry.

I was delighted to find out in today's Shetland Times Readers' Views that there is a sure fire way to get a cabin on the boat. According to Karn Crow from Firth, Mossbank, if you meet somebody on the boat and tell them you stay in Mossbank - "immediately they give you the wide berth" So not only do you get a berth - you get one with a window! Thank you Ms Crow for the tip!!! :D

• 3 weeks later...

(** mod edit - this post has been merged with the existing "Northlink" thread **)

If the news is to be believed Northlink have once again cancelled a sailing because it would mess up their crew schedules. Surely they are contracted to provide nightly sailings and although they can be excused this when bad weather leads to cancellations I believe that cancellations for their own operating reasons are a clear breach of that contract and I am wondering what the transport minister is going to do about it.

I would of course agree that safety is paramount but this cancellation was made when the weather was not bad. Forecasts of snow should not stop ships sailing. Not that I would have wanted to be on the boat last night or any other night so far this year but as a lifeline service we need reliability of service to bring goods into and out of Shetland.

Northlink annoys me.

The least ergonomic boat i've ever seen - try sleeping rough on it!

Its supposed to sail between Aberdeen and Lerwick - its SOLE purpose, and it can't even do that right.

My girlfriend was in the paper in that picture of people coming off the boat after 22 hours (she was biting her nails :lol: )

If the boat doesn't sail people aren't happy...

If it does sail people aren't happy that it sailed in such terrible conditions...

I think it's just unfortunate that the refits are taking place at the moment... and before people moan about the refits, these are the refits that are giving us more cabins remember.

I believe the Hrossey was due back today, but was doing circles in the Irish Sea yesterday as it was too rough to go any further north.

If the boat doesn't sail people aren't happy...

If it does sail people aren't happy that it sailed in such terrible conditions...

I think it's just unfortunate that the refits are taking place at the moment... and before people moan about the refits, these are the refits that are giving us more cabins remember.

I believe the Hrossey was due back today, but was doing circles in the Irish Sea yesterday as it was too rough to go any further north.

Well the Streamline boat arrived today.......odd that she could sail when the supposedly purpose built Hjaltland could not. Is there any truth in the stories about holding her back to get on the right crew schedules?.

I still wonder about those refits.....if the contract says they have to provide nightly passenger sailings but they can take the ships off the run at the time of year when the worse winter weather is likely to happen then that should perhaps be looked at next time the service goes out to tender. If the specification calls for nightly sailings with no mention of refits I would hope that the government will ensure that Northlink charter replacement ships for the next refit period.

As for those new cabins being for Shetland residents I note that Northlink was trying to say that those entitled to 2 free ferry trips to the mainland each year could not have a free berth at peak times. Now it has been established that the free berths are available at any time Northlink has been talking about restricting the number of berths per sailing. Perhaps the new berths are for Shetland residents while the rest go to the cruise ferry passengers?.

I think you might be right about trying the crew schedules and if the boat is cancelled one night it is therefore now cancelled for two... although I think as it turns out this time round the weather was pretty rough for two nights.

The Streamline ship is smaller and not carrying any passengers which is probably the reason she sailed.

The weather has been bad enough in the North sea that the Norrona is stuck in Bergen for the next few days.

http://www.irishseashipping.com/photofeatures/shipco/calmac/hrossey180307/mar1807c.jpg

Heading out of Liverpool yesterday.. looks a little choppy!

So we have the Hrossey "cruise ferry" circling in the Irish Sea yet the Norwegian Coastal Express ships wander off to the Southern Ocean during the off season. Have to ask if our ferries are fit for purpose or simply designed to get into Aberdeen most of the time.

Is there any truth in the stories about holding her back to get on the right crew schedules?.

SIBC seems to think so anyway. He's made much of it before as has been doing so again all through today. If it were pure fabrication I suspect Northlink's "PR Department" would have responded in some way by now.