peeriebryan

Where should the North Boat dock?  

447 members have voted

1. 1. Where should the North Boat dock?

• Aberdeen
    • Rosyth
    • Peterhead
    • Barbados

But thank god for the re-fit. Now, along with that, any chance that someone travelling alone can be prevented from booking a four-berther for exclusive use, so that all the beds in those cabins can still be used by those who need them?

8O Shocking 8O

You will be trying to stop panic buying at the supermarket when half a dozen flakes of snow fall next :wink:

That's different, though. Sometimes that can't be helped. Booking a four-berth cabin for exclusive use when one is travelling by themselves can, though. Hands up anyone else who thinks that's a pain in the ass when it happens?

Stop da bludy 50 seat tour buses bookin 50 cabins fur 50 granies ge dem 50 beds an no bludy arguments fae da lot o dem, dae dinna spend a hell o lot whin dere up here (R.S. at da shetland hotel mite no be plased but he cin afford it) so wir econimy 'll no suffer if dae dinna come.

Too right.

Some lifeline service this, eh?

The plane's quicker, anyway.

Or maybe one day, they'll build a tunnel underground that people can just drive through, or we can put a train in it.

That could be fun, if it would only work!

^^ Oh come on! Did 6 loaves of bread fall into the trolley!!

The pricing is wrong on the berths. It should be per bed, plus a fee for exclusive usage if you don't buy all 4 of say double the per bed fee.

Having said that I wouldn't want to share!

A fee, eh? Sounds like an idea. :idea:

• 3 weeks later...

I know this might sound nuts, but...

:idea: How about docking the boat at Inverness if we can't put it to Aberdeen? :idea:

It could be crazy but if it needs to be docked somewhere else, Inverness could be a better option in my opinion. It's not as good as Aberdeen, but it would have better transport links than Peterhead.

Any thoughts?

I know this might sound nuts, but...

:idea: How about docking the boat at Inverness if we can't put it to Aberdeen? :idea:

It could be crazy but if it needs to be docked somewhere else, Inverness could be a better option in my opinion. It's not as good as Aberdeen, but it would have better transport links than Peterhead.

Any thoughts?

Couple of problems there. I dont think there's a ramp at inverness, so you wont get your car off, and the Kessock bridge is in the way. Anybody know if the Northlink boats can fit under it?

Have you heard anything about the results of the berthing trials the Hjaltland carried out in Stromness and Scrabster last week?

There were some rumors in Orkney that one of the big boats might be due for the Pentland service when the Hamnavoe takes its yearly dry dock next spring - instead of chartering an extra boat to do that service.

Have you heard anything about the results of the berthing trials the Hjaltland carried out in Stromness and Scrabster last week?

There were some rumors in Orkney that one of the big boats might be due for the Pentland service when the Hamnavoe takes its yearly dry dock next spring - instead of chartering an extra boat to do that service.

There was some mention of trials but I believe they were to look at Stromness as an alternative to Hatston in certain unusual weather conditions. I would think that depriving Shetland of the service specified in the contract to cover the Pentland Firth crossing would be a breach of contract.

I can't remember where I first heard of the proposed berthing trials, but it was definately said that they were to do trials at both Stromness and Scrabster with a view to seeing if the vessels were suitable to cover the Pentland Firth crossing when the Hamnavoe was in dry dock.

When Bill Davidson was on Radio Shetland, he was saying it was purely that they had an opportunity with the Hjaltland passing Stromness on her way to dry dock to do berthing trials in case they shoulod ever need to bring the vessels there.

Does anyone know if they did trials at both Stromness and Scrabster?

Successful berthing trials for Hjaltland

The NorthLink ferry Hjaltland carried out successful berthing trials in Stromness on Saturday, before crossing the firth to carry out a similar exercise in Scrabster.

Capt Willie Mackay, one of the masters of the Hamnavoe, was onboard carrying out the manoeuvres at the harbour.

The trials were to determine whether sister ships the Hjaltland and Hrossey, which operate on the Aberdeen-Kirkwall-Lerwick route, could service the Pentland Firth route in the absence of the Hamnavoe.

Ok so I sit corrected, :oops: I am still convinced that the contract for the Shetland service calls for nightly passenger services to/from Aberdeen and although they might get away with alternate night services when the Shetland ships are away for dry docking I certainly do not think they can justify reducing the Shetland service so the Pentland ship can be dry docked.

Thinking of all the weather related disruption again this year I do think that next time the contract comes up for tender it should specify that alternative ships should be brought in during the dry docking period.