peeriebryan

Where should the North Boat dock?  

447 members have voted

1. 1. Where should the North Boat dock?

• Aberdeen
    • Rosyth
    • Peterhead
    • Barbados

The wind and sea is mental today, no boats should be going anywhere.

Come on, the gale has only been going for a few hours, it's just the surface that's a bit choppy. A proper swell takes a good full day or so to get going. It's a joke the boat is not going tonight, of course having cancelled Friday they are trying to get the Hrossay and Hjaltland in the correct ports.

I love the fact that they say in the interests of public safety and comfort they have cancelled tonight. Safety ok, but comfort should have nothing to do with it. Provide a lifeline service and let the people decide if they want a slightly choppy ride.

There is a severe weather warning out for Shetland, from1800 to 0200mon, gusts of 75mph.

But there have already been gusts of 86 mph today at the Lerwick Observatory, so if the strongest winds are this evening then even higher gusts should be expected :shock:

One thing being a passenger rolling around onboard, but i would not want my car onboard in weather like that.

Come on, the gale has only been going for a few hours, it's just the surface that's a bit choppy. A proper swell takes a good full day or so to get going. It's a joke the boat is not going tonight, of course having cancelled Friday they are trying to get the Hrossay and Hjaltland in the correct ports.

I love the fact that they say in the interests of public safety and comfort they have cancelled tonight. Safety ok, but comfort should have nothing to do with it. Provide a lifeline service and let the people decide if they want a slightly choppy ride.

I'm glad the final decisions are not left to you, you could be answerable and accountable for a lot injuries or even deaths.

Also think of the others that would have to risk their lives in the event of a rescue, get some common sence man!

There is a severe weather warning out for Shetland, from1800 to 0200mon, gusts of 75mph.

But there have already been gusts of 86 mph today at the Lerwick Observatory, so if the strongest winds are this evening then even higher gusts should be expected :shock:

One thing being a passenger rolling around onboard, but i would not want my car onboard in weather like that.

Not sure if this is down to equipment failure but the SIC roads department weather station claims to have recorded a gust of 121mph today.

Guest willz320

They are poor boats, in my opinion. Things like this doesn't exactly inspire confidence either:

The ferry company confirmed yesterday that 14 cars were damaged as a result of what was described as encountering "an unusual combination of wind, wave and swell which made her roll heavily".

Incidents like the above are probably caused by the master being pressured into sailing in poor weather - because of unreasonable locals who believe they know more about the ships, and the route - than the Matsers themselves - many of whom have global experience for many years.

So what, exactly, makes the ships unsuitable? As far as I can see - they have sailed in some extreme conditions over the past 6 years - far worse conditions at times where the sailing would normally have been cancelled. The ships still made it. No emergency procedures have had to be initiated in the ships history as far as I know. And as for the design of the hull and car deck - its not going to be all that easy to sink!

Just me mentioned 121mph gust at Sandness road weather station, i think it has gone Bananas, the average wind speed is measuring over 100mph, or category 2 Hurricane, but there has been a gust of 80mph at the Unst one.

There was a tremendous squall at around 3.30pm this afternoon when we drove just North of Mavis Grind, nearly lost control due to wind ferocity and the rain was so heavy all traffic came to a near standstill, it was like being under water :wink:

So what, exactly, makes the ships unsuitable? As far as I can see - they have sailed in some extreme conditions over the past 6 years - far worse conditions at times where the sailing would normally have been cancelled. The ships still made it. No emergency procedures have had to be initiated in the ships history as far as I know. And as for the design of the hull and car deck - its not going to be all that easy to sink!

Whether it makes them unsuitable or not is debateable, however IMHO the bridge is far too far for'ard and at a bad angle, if any of them ships a muckle sea over the bow it has very little to do but stove in the bridge windows, and your boat is very likely dead in the water. Far bigger ships than these with their bridge much higher above the swell have been disabled by a rogue sea stoving in bridge windows. I would have more faith in arriving in one piece if there was much more foredeck to spend rogue seas a bit before they got near to the boat's vitals.

They look very top heavy, and they move with all the grace of a widden fishbox bumbling in the ebb in a gale, it doesn't inspire confidence. The latter does seem to be relegated to appearance only though, as the lack of complaints about bad journeys would tend to bear out. Topheavyness is more likely to be evident in roll, and while that too would seem to be in appearance only, the jury is probably still out though, due to incidents like the one already mentioned involving the 14 damaged cars.

Unfortunately in this day and age how something looks has become #1 priority, how well it functions has been relegated to a poor second slot, and these are not boannie boats, some folk are never going to be enitrely happy with them. It wouldn't matter if they were the safest, stablest and most seaworthy boats ever, they do not fit within Joe Public's preception of a "boannie boat", and will always have that cross to bear.

Mutton its obvious you dont have a clue what your waffling on about you say its just the surface thats choppy and a proper swell takes a few days to get up what a load of rubbish your speaking there.. i have 22 years off being at sea and theres many times you get a big swell even before the weather kicks in...in my experiance off the north sea its going to be a lot more than a SLGHTLY CHOPPY RIDE what planet are you on ?????

GR, agree your comments re the position of bridge very far forward and lack of foredeck. This is however a common feature of many ships designed these days so I guess many owners are happy with that. The "top heavy" look also is prevalent, i share the view that it sometimes looks "wrong" but providing the stability calculations are ok then in a sense it's an illusion. I do think tho that some modern ships do have such high freeboard and/or superstructure that high and gusting side winds can present issues with handling.

Guest Anonymous

yes i do sympathise we anybody suffering fae seasickness as im had it many tmes and do unerstand how hellish it is .

I know a few fishermen who have put in much of there working lives and also lived we being seek either every monday or on the first day o bad weather .

Im just spikin crap when i called da crofter a sissy , you likly wid be a bit mental to enjoy rumplin in aroond in the roost da night ...

As regards the boats im sure they are seaworthy enough , precise stability calculations will have been worked out for various conditions of load and ongoing routine maintenance will ensure all saftey equipment is kept in perfect condition .

I do agree with ghost rider about the look of the wheelhouse being so far foward , but wonder if the particular shape of the bow spleets the water ??

I Wd still rather mak da crossing on a night lik this in a fully shelter decked trawler about 20 - 24 metres lang as you would be going over the waves rather than through them which i prefer.